- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 128065, 7 pages
Influence of Surface Treatment on Strength Distribution of Vita VMK 68 Dental Porcelains
Marine Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Zirve University, 27260 Gaziantep, Turkey
Received 12 June 2013; Revised 22 August 2013; Accepted 24 August 2013
Academic Editor: Liyuan Sheng
Copyright © 2013 Serkan Nohut et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Y. Yu, Z. B. Cai, P. D. Ren, M. H. Zhu, and Z. R. Zhou, “Friction and wear behavior of dental feldspathic porcelain,” Wear, vol. 261, no. 5-6, pp. 611–621, 2006.
- N. Krämer and R. Frankenberger, “Clinical performance of bonded leucite-reinforced glass ceramic inlays and onlays after eight years,” Dental Materials, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 262–271, 2005.
- R. Morena, P. E. Lockwood, and C. W. Fairhurst, “Fracture toughness of commercial dental porcelains,” Dental Materials, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 58–62, 1986.
- N. de Jager, A. J. Feilzer, and C. L. Davidson, “The influence of surface roughness on porcelain strength,” Dental Materials, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 381–388, 2000.
- H. Fischer, M. Schäfer, and R. Marx, “Effect of surface roughness on flexural strength of veneer ceramics,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 972–975, 2003.
- Y. Nakamura, S. Hojo, and H. Sato, “The effect of surface roughness on the weibull distribution of porcelain strength,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 2010.
- U. Lohbauer, F. A. Müller, and A. Petschelt, “Influence of surface roughness on mechanical strength of resin composite versus glass ceramic materials,” Dental Materials, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 250–256, 2008.
- M. Marrelli, C. Maletta, F. Inchingolo, M. Alfano, and M. Tatullo, “Three-point bending tests of zirconia core/veneer ceramics for dental restorations,” International Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 831976, 5 pages, 2013.
- A. Al-Wahadni and D. M. Martin, “Glazing and finishing dental porcelain: a literature review,” Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 580–583, 1998.
- S. Ban and K. J. Anusavice, “Influence of test method on failure stress of brittle dental materials,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 1791–1799, 1990.
- T. Sato, K. Tsuji, N. Kawashima, H. Sato, and Y. Nakamura, “Effect of defect size on fracture strength of dental low fusion porcelain,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 77–82, 2004.
- J. C. Newman and I. S. Raju, “An empirical stress-intensity factor equation for the surface crack,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 185–192, 1981.
- S. F. Rosenstiel, M. A. Baiker, and W. M. Johnston, “Comparison of glazed and polished dental porcelain,” The International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 524–529, 1989.
- J. L. Le and Z. P. Bažant, “Strength distribution of dental restorative ceramics: finite weakest link model with zero threshold,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 641–648, 2009.
- S. Nohut and C. Lu, “Fracture statistics of dental ceramics: discrimination of strength distributions,” Ceramics International, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 4979–4990, 2012.
- A. G. Evans, “Structural reliability: a processing-dependent phenomenon,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 127–137, 1982.
- R. Danzer, T. Lube, P. Supancic, and R. Damani, “Fracture of ceramics,” Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 275–298, 2008.
- S. Nohut and G. A. Schneider, “Failure probability of ceramic coil springs,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1013–1019, 2009.
- S. Nohut, A. Usbeck, H. Özcoban, D. Krause, and G. A. Schneider, “Determination of the multiaxial failure criteria for alumina ceramics under tension-torsion test,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 30, no. 16, pp. 3339–3349, 2010.
- R. Danzer, “A general strength distribution function for brittle materials,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 461–472, 1992.
- R. Danzer, P. Supancic, J. Pascual, and T. Lube, “Fracture statistics of ceramics—Weibull statistics and deviations from Weibull statistics,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 74, no. 18, pp. 2919–2932, 2007.
- C. Lu, R. Danzer, and F. D. Fischer, “Fracture statistics of brittle materials: Weibull or normal distribution,” Physical Review E, vol. 65, no. 6, Article ID 067102, 4 pages, 2002.
- W. A. Weibull, “A statistical theory of the strength of materials,” Ingeniörstvetenskaps Akademiens Handlingar, vol. 151, pp. 1–45, 1939.
- W. A. Weibull, “A statistical representation of fatigue failures in solids,” Transactions of the Royal Institute of Technology, vol. 27, pp. 5–50, 1949.
- R. Danzer, “Some notes on the correlation between fracture and defect statistics: are Weibull statistics valid for very small specimens?” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 3043–3049, 2006.
- K. Trustrum and A. D. S. Jayatilaka, “On estimating the Weibull modulus for a brittle material,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1080–1084, 1979.
- S. L. Fok, B. C. Mitchell, J. Smart, and B. J. Marsden, “A numerical study on the application of the Weibull theory to brittle materials,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 1171–1179, 2001.
- T. W. Anderson and D. A. Darling, “Asymptotic theory of certain “goodness-of-fit” criteria based on stochastic processes,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 193–212, 1952.
- M. A. Stephens, “EDF statistics for goodness of fit and some comparisons,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 69, no. 347, pp. 730–737, 1974.
- M. A. Stephens, “Asymptotic results for goodness-of-fit statistics with unknown parameters,” The Annals of Statistics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 357–369, 1976.
- M. A. Stephens, “Goodness of fit for the extreme value distribution,” Biometrika, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 583–588, 1977.
- M. A. Stephens, “Tests of fit for the logistic distribution based on the empirical distribution function,” Biometrika, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 591–595, 1979.
- I. M. Chakravarti, R. G. Laha, and J. Roy, Handbook of Methods of Applied Statistics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA,, 2nd edition, 1967.
- H. Akaike, “A new look at the statistical model identification,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. AC-19, no. 6, pp. 716–723, 1974.
- Y. Nakamura, S. Hojo, and H. Sato, “Effects of thermal cycling and surface roughness on the Weibull distribution of porcelain strength,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 433–437, 2009.
- F. J. Massey, “The Kolmogorov-Smirnov test for goodness of fit,” Journal of American Statistical Association, vol. 46, no. 253, pp. 68–78, 1951.
- J. J. Mecholsky, S. W. Freiman, and R. W. Rice, “Effect of grinding on flaw geometry and fracture of glass,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 60, no. 3-4, pp. 114–117, 1977.
- N. de Jager, Design parameters for all-ceramic dental crowns [Dissertation], University of Amsterdam, 2004.
- R. W. Davidge and T. J. Green, “The strength of two-phase ceramic/glass materials,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 629–634, 1968.
- K. C. Cheung and B. W. Darvell, “Sintering of dental porcelain: effect of time and temperature on appearance and porosity,” Dental Materials, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 163–173, 2002.
- C. Lu, R. Danzer, and F. D. Fischer, “Scaling of fracture strength in ZnO: effects of pore/grain-size interaction and porosity,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 3643–3651, 2004.
- A. Zimmermann and J. Rödel, “Fracture statistics based on pore/grain-size interaction,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 2279–2281, 1999.
- S. Nohut, “Prediction of crack-tip toughness of alumina for given residual stresses with parallel-bonded-particle model,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1509–1519, 2011.
- J. Llorca and R. W. Steinbrech, “Fracture of alumina: an experimental and numerical study,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 26, no. 23, pp. 6383–6390, 1991.
- P. F. Cesar, V. Rosa, M. M. Pinto, H. N. Yoshimura, and L. R. Xu, “Effect of ion exchange on R-curve behavior of a dental porcelain,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 117–122, 2011.
- D. Munz and T. Fett, Ceramics: Mechanical Properties, Failure Behavior, Materials Selection, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1999.