- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 128271, 6 pages
Study of the Boson Peak and Fragility of Bioprotectant Glass-Forming Mixtures by Neutron Scattering
1Department of Physics and Earth Sciences, University of Messina, Viale D’Alcontres 31, P.O. Box 55, 98166 Messina, Italy
2Institut Laue Langevin, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
3CNR-IOM-OGG, Institut Laue Langevin, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Received 31 May 2013; Accepted 23 August 2013
Academic Editor: Gerhard Schumacher
Copyright © 2013 F. Migliardo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Hengherr, F. Brünner, and R. O. Schill J, “Anhydrobiosis in tardigrades and its effects on longevity traits,” Journal of Zoology, vol. 275, no. 3, pp. 216–220, 2008.
- R. O. Schill and G. B. Fritz, “Desiccation tolerance in embryonic stages of the tardigrade,” Journal of Zoology, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 103–107, 2008.
- J. A. Browne, K. M. Dolan, T. Tyson, K. Goyal, A. Tunnacliffe, and A. M. Burnell, “Dehydration-specific induction of hydrophilic protein genes in the anhydrobiotic nematode Aphelenchus avenae,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 966–975, 2004.
- X. He, A. Fowler, and M. Toner, “Water activity and mobility in solutions of glycerol and small molecular weight sugars: implication for cryo- and lypopreservation,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, Article ID 074702, 2006.
- M. R. Michaud and D. L. Denlinger, “Shifts in the carbohydrate, polyol, and amino acid pools during rapid cold-hardening and diapause-associated cold-hardening in flesh flies (Sarcophaga crassipalpis): a metabolomic comparison,” Journal of Comparative Physiology B, vol. 177, pp. 753–763, 2007.
- S. E. Pagnotta, M. A. Ricci, F. Bruni, S. McLain, and S. Magazù, “Water structure around trehalose,” Chemical Physics, vol. 345, no. 2-3, pp. 159–163, 2008.
- G. Caliskan, D. Mechtani, S. Azzam et al., “Protein and solvent dynamics: how strongly are they coupled?” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 1978–1983, 2004.
- J.-A. Seo, S. J. Kim, H.-J. Kwon, Y. S. Yang, H. K. Kim, and Y.-H. Hwang, “The glass transition temperatures of sugar mixtures,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 341, no. 15, pp. 2516–2520, 2006.
- B. Varga, F. Migliardo, E. Takacs, B. Vertessy, S. Magazù, and C. Mondelli, “Neutron scattering studies on dUTPase complex in the presence of bioprotectant systems,” Chemical Physics, vol. 345, no. 2-3, pp. 250–258, 2008.
- B. Varga, F. Migliardo, E. Takacs, B. Vertessy, S. Magazù, and M. T. F. Telling, “Study of solvent-protein coupling effects by neutron scattering,” Journal of Biological Physics, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 207–220, 2010.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, A. Benedetto, and B. Vertessy, “Protein dynamics by neutron scattering: the protein dynamical transition and the fragile-to-strong dynamical crossover in hydrated lysozyme,” Chemical Physics, 2013.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, F. Affouard, M. Descamps, and M. T. F. Telling, “Study of the relaxational and vibrational dynamics of bioprotectant glass-forming mixtures by neutron scattering and molecular dynamics simulation,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 132, no. 18, Article ID 184512, 9 pages, 2010.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, and M. T. F. Telling, “Dynamics of glass-forming bioprotectant systems,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 357, no. 2, pp. 691–694, 2011.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, M. A. Gonzalez, and C. Mondelli, “Inelastic neutron scattering study of dynamical properties of bioprotectant solutions against temperature,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 358, no. 18-19, pp. 2635–2640, 2012.
- M. T. Cicerone and C. L. Soles, “Fast dynamics and stabilization of proteins: binary glasses of trehalose and glycerol,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 3836–3845, 2004.
- J. E. Curtis, T. E. Dirama, G. A. Carri, and D. J. Tobias, “Inertial suppression of protein dynamics in a binary glycerol-trehalose glass,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 46, pp. 22953–22956, 2006.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, and S. F. Parker, “Vibrational properties of bioprotectant mixtures of trehalose and glycerol,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 115, no. 37, pp. 11004–11009, 2011.
- F. Affouard, P. Bordat, M. Descamps et al., “A combined neutron scattering and simulation study on bioprotectant systems,” Chemical Physics, vol. 317, no. 2-3, pp. 258–266, 2005.
- S. Magazù, G. Maisano, and F. Migliardo, “Fragility by elastic incoherent neutron scattering,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 121, no. 18, pp. 8911–8915, 2004.
- I. V. Blazhnov, S. Magazù, G. Maisano, N. P. Malomuzh, and F. Migliardo, “Macro- and microdefinitions of fragility of hydrogen-bonded glass-forming liquids,” Physical Review E, vol. 73, no. 3, Article ID 031201, 2006.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, C. Mondelli, and M. Vadalà, “Correlation between bioprotective effectiveness and dynamic properties of trehalose-water, maltose-water and sucrose-water mixtures,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 340, no. 18, pp. 2796–2801, 2005.
- S. Magazu, F. Migliardo, and M. T. F. Telling, “Study of the dynamical properties of water in disaccharide solutions,” European Biophysics Journal, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 163–171, 2007.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, and M. T. F. Telling, “Structural and dynamical properties of water in sugar mixtures,” Food Chemistry, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 1460–1466, 2008.
- S. Magazù, F. Migliardo, C. Mondelli, and G. Romeo, “Temperature dependence of mean square displacement by IN13: a comparison between trehalose and sucrose water mixtures,” Chemical Physics, vol. 292, no. 2-3, pp. 247–251, 2003.
- S. Magazù, G. Maisano, F. Migliardo, and C. Mondelli, “α,α-trehalose/water solutions. VII: an elastic incoherent neutron scattering study on fragility,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 36, pp. 13580–13585, 2004.
- M. Neumann, “The dielectric constant of water. Computer simulations with the MCY potential,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 82, no. 12, Article ID 5663, 10 pages, 1985.
- H. J. C. Berendsen, J. P. M. Postma, W. F. Van Gunsteren, A. Dinola, and J. R. Haak, “Molecular dynamics with coupling to an external bath,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 3684–3690, 1984.
- S. A. Elliott, “A unified model for the low-energy vibrational behaviour of amorphous solids,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 19, no. 3, article 201, 1992.
- R. L. Orbach, T. Nakayama, and K. Yakubo, “Dynamical properties of fractal networks: scaling, numerical simulations, and physical realizations,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 381–443, 1994.
- V. G. Karpov, Y. M. Galperin, and V. I. Kozub, “Localized states in glasses,” Advances in Physics, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 669–737, 1989.
- M. Bée, Quasielastic Neutron Scattering: Principles and Applications in Solid-State Chemistry, Biology and Material Science, Hilger, Bristol, 1988.
- A. M. Gaspar, W. Doster, R. Gebhardt, and T. Unruh, “Pressure-induced dissociation of casein micelles: size distribution and effect of temperature,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1209–1214, 2005.
- H. Shintani and H. Tanaka, “Universal link between the boson peak and transverse phonons in glass,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 870–877, 2008.
- D. Fioretto, U. Buchenau, L. Comez et al., “High-frequency dynamics of glass-forming polybutadiene,” Physical Review E, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 4470–4475, 1999.
- H. Nakagawa, M. Kataoka, Y. Joti et al., “Hydration-coupled protein boson peak measured by incoherent neutron scattering,” Physica B, vol. 385-386, pp. 871–873, 2006.
- A. P. Sokolov, A. Kisliuk, D. Quitmann, and E. Duval, “Evaluation of density of vibrational states of glasses from low-frequency Raman spectra,” Physical Review B, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 7692–7695, 1993.
- A. P. Sokolov, E. Rossler, A. Kisliuk, and D. Quitmann, “Dynamics of strong and fragile glass formers: differences and correlation with low-temperature properties,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 71, no. 13, pp. 2062–2065, 1993.
- C. N. Greaves, F. Meneau, O. Majérus, D. G. Jones, and J. Taylor, “Chemistry: identifying vibrations that destabilize crystals and characterize the glassy state,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5726, pp. 1299–1302, 2005.
- P. Bordat, A. Lerbret, J.-P. Demaret, F. Affouard, and M. Descamps, “Comparative study of trehalose, sucrose and maltose in water solutions by molecular modelling,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2004.
- T. E. Dirama, G. A. Carri, and A. P. Sokolov, “Role of hydrogen bonds in the fast dynamics of binary glasses of trehalose and glycerol: a molecular dynamics simulation study,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 122, no. 11, Article ID 114505, 2005.