- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 129864, 10 pages
Damage Characterization of Polypropylene Honeycomb Sandwich Panels Subjected to Low-Velocity Impact
1School of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 14300 Nibong Tebal, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
2School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 14300 Nibong Tebal, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Received 15 July 2013; Revised 2 October 2013; Accepted 2 October 2013
Academic Editor: John W. Gillespie
Copyright © 2013 Freeda A. Amir et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Abrate, “Localized impact on sandwich structures with laminated facings,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 69–82, 1997.
- R. A. W. Mines and N. Jones, “Approximate elastic-plastic analysis of the static and impact behaviour of polymer composite sandwich beams,” Composites, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 803–814, 1995.
- T. Besant, G. A. O. Davies, and D. Hitchings, “Finite element modelling of low velocity impact of composite sandwich panels,” Composites Part A, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1189–1196, 2001.
- J. K. Paik, A. K. Thayamballi, and G. S. Kim, “Strength characteristics of aluminum honeycomb sandwich panels,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 205–231, 1999.
- J. R. Vinson, The Behaviour of Sandwich Structures of Isotropic and Composite Materials, Technomic Publishing, 1999.
- R. A. W. Mines, C. M. Worrall, and A. G. Gibson, “Low velocity perforation behaviour of polymer composite sandwich panels,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 855–879, 1998.
- T. Y. Reddy, H. M. Wen, S. R. Reid, and P. D. Soden, “Penetration and perforation of composite sandwich panels by hemispherical and conical projectiles,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 186–194, 1998.
- H. M. Wen, T. Y. Reddy, S. R. Reid, and P. D. Soden, “Indentation, penetration and perforation of composite laminates and sandwich panels under quasi-static and projectile loading,” Key Engineering Materials, no. 143, pp. 501–552, 1998.
- A. M. Roach, K. E. Evans, and N. Jones, “The penetration energy of sandwich panel elements under static and dynamic loading. Part I,” Composite Structures, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 119–134, 1998.
- A. M. Roach, N. Jones, and K. E. Evans, “The penetration energy of sandwich panel elements under static and dynamic loading. Part II,” Composite Structures, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 135–152, 1998.
- E. J. Herup and A. N. Palazotto, “Low-velocity impact damage initiation in graphite/epoxy/Nomex honeycomb-sandwich plates,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 1581–1598, 1998.
- I. M. Daniel, E. E. Gdoutos, K.-A. Wang, and J. L. Abot, “Failure modes of composite sandwich beams,” International Journal of Damage Mechanics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 309–334, 2002.
- R. A. W. Mines, C. M. Worrall, and A. G. Gibson, “The static and impact behaviour of polymer composite sandwich beams,” Composites, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 95–110, 1994.
- T. Anderson and E. Madenci, “Experimental investigation of low-velocity impact characteristics of sandwich composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 239–247, 2000.
- M. Akil Hazizan and W. J. Cantwell, “The low velocity impact response of an aluminium honeycomb sandwich structure,” Composites Part B, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 679–687, 2003.
- A. Petras and M. P. F. Sutcliffe, “Indentation failure analysis of sandwich beams,” Composite Structures, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 311–318, 2000.
- D. Zenkert, “Strength of sandwich beams with mid-plane debondings in the core,” Composite Structures, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 279–299, 1990.
- M. Meo, R. Vignjevic, and G. Marengo, “The response of honeycomb sandwich panels under low-velocity impact loading,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1301–1325, 2005.
- D. Zenkert, “Strength of sandwich beams with interface debondings,” Composite Structures, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 331–350, 1991.
- A. R. Othman and D. C. Barton, “Failure initiation and propagation characteristics of honeycomb sandwich composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 126–138, 2008.
- I. H. Choi, “Contact force history analysis of composite sandwich plates subjected to low-velocity impact,” Composite Structures, vol. 75, no. 1-4, pp. 582–586, 2006.
- M. Aktaş, C. Atas, B. M. Içten, and R. Karakuzu, “An experimental investigation of the impact response of composite laminates,” Composite Structures, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 307–313, 2009.