- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 149261, 8 pages
Physicochemical and Microstructural Characterization of Injectable Load-Bearing Calcium Phosphate Scaffold
1Cell Therapy Center (CTC), The University of Jordan, Amman 11942, Jordan
2Department of Physics, College of Science and Humanitarian Studies, Salman Bin Abdul Aziz University, P.O. Box 83, Alkharj 11942, Saudi Arabia
3Department of Chemistry, The University of Jordan, Amman 11942, Jordan
4Faculty of Medicine, The University of Jordan, Amman 11942, Jordan
Received 20 July 2013; Revised 19 October 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Wei Wu
Copyright © 2013 Mazen Alshaaer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Mao, G. Vunjak-Novakovic, A. G. Mikos, and A. Atala, Regenerative Medicine: Translational Approaches and Tissue Engineering, Artech House, Boston, Mass, USA, 2007.
- M. Bohner, “Design of ceramic-based cements and putties for bone graft substitution,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 20, pp. 1–12, 2010.
- M.-P. Ginebra, C. Canal, M. Espanol, D. Pastorino, and E. B. Montufar, “Calcium phosphate cements as drug delivery materials,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 64, pp. 1090–1010, 2012.
- C. S. Che Nor Zarida, O. Fauziah, A. K. Arifah et al., “In vitro elution and dissolution of tobramycin and gentamicin from calcium phosphate,” African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 5, no. 20, pp. 2283–2291, 2011.
- J. J. Mao, W. V. Giannobile, J. A. Helms et al., “Craniofacial tissue engineering by stem cells,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 966–979, 2006.
- P. C. Johnson, A. G. Mikos, J. P. Fisher, and J. A. Jansen, “Strategic directions in tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 2827–2837, 2007.
- P. Habibovic, U. Gbureck, C. J. Doillon, D. C. Bassett, C. A. van Blitterswijk, and J. E. Barralet, “Osteoconduction and osteoinduction of low-temperature 3D printed bioceramic implants,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 944–953, 2008.
- H. S. Wang, S. C. Hung, S. T. Peng, C. C. Huang, H. M. Wei, Y. J. Guo, et al., “Mesenchyma lstem cells in the Wharton’s jelly of the human umbilical cord,” Stem Cells, vol. 22, pp. 1330–1337, 2004.
- D. Baksh, R. Yao, and R. S. Tuan, “Comparison of proliferative and multilineage differentiation potential of human mesenchymal stem cells derived from umbilical cord and bone marrow,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1384–1392, 2007.
- E. Verron, I. Khairoun, J. Guicheux, and J.-M. Bouler, “Calcium phosphate biomaterials as bone drug delivery systems: a review,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 15, no. 13-14, pp. 547–552, 2010.
- A. Can and S. Karahuseyinoglu, “Concise review: human umbilical cord stroma with regard to the source of fetus-derived stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2886–2895, 2007.
- L. Wang, M. Singh, L. F. Bonewald, and M. S. Detamore, “Signalling strategies for osteogenic differentiation of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells for 3D bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 398–404, 2009.
- X. Miao, L.-P. Tan, L.-S. Tan, and X. Huang, “Porous calcium phosphate ceramics modified with PLGA-bioactive glass,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 274–279, 2007.
- V. Guarino and L. Ambrosio, “The synergic effect of polylactide fiber and calcium phosphate particle reinforcement in poly ε-caprolactone-based composite scaffolds,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1778–1787, 2008.
- A. E. Watts, A. J. Nixon, M. G. Papich, H. D. Sparks, and W. S. Schwark, “In vitro elution of amikacin and ticarcillin from a resorbable, self-setting, fiber reinforced calcium phosphate cement,” Veterinary Surgery, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 563–570, 2011.
- K. J. L. Burg, S. Porter, and J. F. Kellam, “Biomaterial developments for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 2347–2359, 2000.
- S. Yang, K.-F. Leong, Z. Du, and C.-K. Chua, “The design of scaffolds for use in tissue engineering. Part I: traditional factors,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 679–689, 2001.
- K. F. Leong, C. M. Cheah, and C. K. Chua, “Solid freeform fabrication of three-dimensional scaffolds for engineering replacement tissues and organs,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 2363–2378, 2003.
- J. Russias, E. Saiz, R. K. Nalla, K. Gryn, R. O. Ritchie, and A. P. Tomsia, “Fabrication and mechanical properties of PLA/HA composites: a study of in vitro degradation,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1289–1295, 2006.
- R. Z. Le Geros, “Calcium phosphate-based osteoinductive materials,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 4742–4753, 2008.
- C. E. Wen, Y. Yamada, K. Shimojima, Y. Chino, H. Hosokawa, and M. Mabuchi, “Compressibility of porous magnesium foam: dependency on porosity and pore size,” Materials Letters, vol. 58, no. 3-4, pp. 357–360, 2004.
- L. L. Hench and J. M. Polak, “Third-generation biomedical materials,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5557, pp. 1014–1017, 2002.
- D. Williams, “Benefit and risk in tissue engineering,” Materials Today, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 24–29, 2004.
- V. Guarino, F. Causa, and L. Ambrosio, “Bioactive scaffolds for bone and ligament tissue,” Expert Review of Medical Devices, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 405–418, 2007.
- D. W. Hutmacher, J. T. Schantz, C. X. F. Lam, K. C. Tan, and T. C. Lim, “State of the art and future directions of scaffold-based bone engineering from a biomaterials perspective,” Journal of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 245–260, 2007.
- L. Gerhardt and A. R. Boccaccini, “Bioactive glass and glass-ceramic scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Materials, vol. 3, pp. 3867–3910, 2010.
- H. H. K. Xu, S. Takagi, J. B. Quinn, and L. C. Chow, “Fast-setting calcium phosphate scaffolds with tailored macropore formation rates for bone regeneration,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 725–734, 2004.
- M. Alshaaer, H. Cuypers, H. Rahier, and J. Wastiels, “Production of monetite-based Inorganic Phosphate Cement (M-IPC) using hydrothermal post curing (HTPC),” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 30–37, 2011.
- C. Wenchuan, Z. Hongzhi, D. W. Michael, B. Chongyun, and H. H. K. Xu, “Umbilical cord stem cells released from alginate-fibrin microbeads inside macroporous and biofunctionalized calcium phosphate cement for bone regeneration,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 2297–2306, 2012.
- M. Alshaaer, H. Cuypers, G. Mosselmans, H. Rahier, and J. Wastiels, “Evaluation of a low temperature hardening Inorganic Phosphate Cement for high-temperature applications,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 38–45, 2011.
- J. Rouwkema, N. C. Rivron, and C. A. van Blitterswijk, “Vascularization in tissue engineering,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 434–441, 2008.
- M. Lovett, K. Lee, A. Edwards, and D. L. Kaplan, “Vascularization strategies for tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering B, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 353–370, 2009.
- X. Shi, B. Sitharaman, Q. P. Pham et al., “Fabrication of porous ultra-short single-walled carbon nanotube nanocomposite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 28, pp. 4078–4090, 2007.
- C. K. Kuo and P. X. Ma, “Ionically crosslinked alginate hydrogels as scaffolds for tissue engineering. Part 1: structure, gelation rate and mechanical properties,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 511–521, 2001.
- J. L. Drury, R. G. Dennis, and D. J. Mooney, “The tensile properties of alginate hydrogels,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 16, pp. 3187–3199, 2004.
- C. J. Damien and J. R. Parsons, “Bone graft and bone graft substitutes: a review of current technology and applications,” Journal of Applied Biomaterials, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 187–208, 1991.
- Y. Lei, B. Rai, K. H. Ho, and S. H. Teoh, “In Vitro degradation of novel bioactive polycaprolactone-20% tricalcium phosphate composite scaffolds for bone engineering,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 293–298, 2007.
- C. R. Kothapalli, M. T. Shaw, J. R. Olson, and M. Wei, “Fabrication of novel calcium phosphate/poly(lactic acid) fiber composites,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2008.