- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 183026, 10 pages
Challenges of the Modeling Methods for Investigating the Interaction between the CNT and the Surrounding Polymer
1Composites Research Laboratory, Faculty of New Sciences and Technologies, University of Tehran, Tehran 1439955941, Iran
2Institute of Structural Mechanics, Bauhaus University Weimar, Marienstraße 15, 99423 Weimar, Germany
Received 1 January 2013; Revised 27 April 2013; Accepted 3 June 2013
Academic Editor: Philip Harrison
Copyright © 2013 Roham Rafiee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Gou, B. Minaie, B. Wang, Z. Liang, and C. Zhang, “Computational and experimental study of interfacial bonding of single-walled nanotube reinforced composites,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 31, no. 3-4, pp. 225–236, 2004.
- E. T. Thostenson and T. Chou, “Aligned multi-walled carbon nanotube-reinforced composites: processing and mechanical characterization,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 35, no. 16, pp. L77–L80, 2002.
- C. Bower, R. Rosen, L. Jin, J. Han, and O. Zhou, “Deformation of carbon nanotubes in nanotube-polymer composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 74, no. 22, pp. 3317–3319, 1999.
- C. A. Cooper, S. R. Cohen, A. H. Barber, and H. D. Wagner, “Detachment of nanotubes from a polymer matrix,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 20, pp. 3873–3875, 2002.
- D. Qian and E. C. Dickey, “In-situ transmission electron microscopy studies of polymer-carbon nanotube composite deformation,” Journal of Microscopy, vol. 204, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2001.
- K. Liao and S. Li, “Interfacial characteristics of a carbon nanotube-polystyrene composite system,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 79, no. 25, pp. 4225–4227, 2001.
- S. J. V. Frankland, A. Caglar, D. W. Brenner, and M. Griebel, “Molecular simulation of the influence of chemical cross-links on the shear strength of carbon nanotube-polymer interfaces,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 3046–3048, 2002.
- M. Wong, M. Paramsothy, X. J. Xu, Y. Ren, S. Li, and K. Liao, “Physical interactions at carbon nanotube-polymer interface,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 25, pp. 7757–7764, 2003.
- H. Chen, Q. Xue, Q. Zheng, J. Xie, and K. Yan, “Influence of nanotube chirality, temperature, and chemical modification on the interfacial bonding between carbon nanotubes and polyphenylacetylene,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 42, pp. 16514–16520, 2008.
- Z. Xu and M. J. Buehler, “Nanoengineering heat transfer performance at carbon nanotube interfaces,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 2767–2775, 2009.
- A. Liu, K. W. Wang, and C. E. Bakis, “Effect of functionalization of single-wall carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) on the damping characteristics of SWNT-based epoxy composites via multiscale analysis,” Composites A, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1748–1755, 2011.
- M. Rahmat and P. Hubert, “Molecular dynamics simulation of single-walled carbon nanotube-PMMA Interaction,” Journal of Nano Research, vol. 18-19, pp. 117–128, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, J. Zhao, N. Wei, J. Jiang, Y. Gong, and T. Rabczuk, “Effects of the dispersion of polymer wrapped two neighbouring single walled carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) on nanoengineering load transfer,” Composites B, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 1714–1721, 2013.
- L. Y. Jiang, Y. Huang, H. Jiang et al., “A cohesive law for carbon nanotube/polymer interfaces based on the van der Waals force,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 2436–2452, 2006.
- H. Tan, L. Y. Jiang, Y. Huang, B. Liu, and K. C. Hwang, “The effect of van der Waals-based interface cohesive law on carbon nanotube-reinforced composite materials,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 14, pp. 2941–2946, 2007.
- G. D. Seidel and D. C. Lagoudas, “Micromechanical analysis of the effective elastic properties of carbon nanotube reinforced composites,” Mechanics of Materials, vol. 38, no. 8–10, pp. 884–907, 2006.
- J.-L. Tsai and T.-C. Lu, “Investigating the load transfer efficiency in carbon nanotubes reinforced nanocomposites,” Composite Structures, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 172–179, 2009.
- J. A. Nairn, “Aspect ratio requirements for nanotube-reinforced, polymer-matrix composites,” Composites A, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1850–1855, 2011.
- M. M. Shokrieh and S. M. Mahdavi, “Micromechanical model to evaluate the effects of dimensions and interphase region on the elastic modulus of CNT/polymer composites,” Modarres Mechanical Engineering, vol. 3, pp. 13–25, 2011.
- P. Barai and G. J. Weng, “A theory of plasticity for carbon nanotube reinforced composites,” International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 539–559, 2011.
- A. Haque and A. Ramasetty, “Theoretical study of stress transfer in carbon nanotube reinforced polymer matrix composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 68–77, 2005.
- M. Kulkarni, D. Carnahan, K. Kulkarni, D. Qian, and J. L. Abot, “Elastic response of a carbon nanotube fiber reinforced polymeric composite: a numerical and experimental study,” Composites B, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 414–421, 2010.
- C. Li and T. Chou, “Multiscale modeling of compressive behavior of carbon nanotube/polymer composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 14, pp. 2409–2414, 2006.
- K. Pourakbar, N. JamilPour, A. R. Najafi, G. Rouhi, A. Arshi, and A. Fereidoon, “A finite element model for estimating Young's modulus of carbon nanotube reinforced composites incorporating elastic cross-links,” International Journal of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering, pp. 172–175, 2008.
- G. I. Giannopoulos, S. K. Georgantzinos, and N. K. Anifantis, “A semi-continuum finite element approach to evaluate the Young's modulus of single-walled carbon nanotube reinforced composites,” Composites B, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 594–601, 2010.
- A. Montazeri and R. Naghdabadi, “Study the effect of viscoelastic matrix model on the stability of CNT/polymer composites by multiscale modeling,” Polymer Composites, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1545–1551, 2009.
- H. Wan, F. Delale, and L. Shen, “Effect of CNT length and CNT-matrix interphase in carbon nanotube (CNT) reinforced composites,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 481–489, 2005.
- A. Needleman, T. L. Borders, L. C. Brinson, V. M. Flores, and L. S. Schadler, “Effect of an interphase region on debonding of a CNT reinforced polymer composite,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 70, no. 15, pp. 2207–2215, 2010.
- M. M. Shokrieh and R. Rafiee, “Prediction of mechanical properties of an embedded carbon nanotube in polymer matrix based on developing an equivalent long fiber,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 235–240, 2010.
- M. Ayatollahi, S. Shadlou, and M. Shokrieh, “Multiscale modeling for mechanical properties of carbon nanotube reinforced nanocomposites subjected to different types of loading,” Composite Structures, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 2250–2259, 2011.
- J. M. Wernik and S. A. Meguid, “Multiscale modeling of the nonlinear response of nano-reinforced polymers,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 217, no. 1-2, pp. 1–16, 2011.
- L. S. Schadler, S. C. Giannaris, and P. M. Ajayan, “Load transfer in carbon nanotube epoxy composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 26, pp. 3842–3844, 1998.
- H. Wagner, “Nanotube-polymer adhesion: a mechanics approach,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 361, no. 1-2, pp. 57–61, 2002.
- P. Ajayan, L. Schadler, C. Giannaris, and A. Rubio, “Single-walled carbon nanotube-polymer composites: strength and weakness,” Advanced Materials, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 750–753, 2000.
- C. A. Cooper, R. J. Young, and M. Halsall, “Investigation into the deformation of carbon nanotubes and their composites through the use of Raman spectroscopy,” Composites A, vol. 32, no. 3-4, pp. 401–411, 2001.
- V. Hadjiev, M. Iliev, S. Arepalli, P. Nikolaev, and B. S. Files, “Raman scattering test of single-wall carbon nanotube composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 21, pp. 3193–3195, 2001.
- A. Paipetis, C. Galiotis, Y. C. Liu, and J. A. Nairn, “Stress transfer from the matrix to the fibre in a fragmentation test: Raman experiments and analytical modeling,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 377–399, 1999.
- L. Valentini, J. Biagiotti, J. M. Kenny, and M. A. López Manchado, “Physical and mechanical behavior of single-walled carbon nanotube/polypropylene/ethylene-propylene-diene rubber nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 2657–2663, 2003.
- D. Qian, G. J. Wagner, W. K. Liu, M. Yu, and R. S. Ruoff, “Mechanics of carbon nanotubes,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 495–532, 2002.
- D. Qian, W. K. Liu, and R. S. Ruoff, “Load transfer mechanism in carbon nanotube ropes,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1561–1569, 2003.
- M. Rahmat and P. Hubert, “Carbon nanotube-polymer interactions in nanocomposites: a review,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 72–84, 2011.
- A. V. Desai and M. A. Haque, “Mechanics of the interface for carbon nanotube-polymer composites,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1787–1803, 2005.
- W. F. van Gunsteren and H. J. C. Berendsen, “Computer simulation of molecular dynamics: methodology, applications, and perspectives in chemistry,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 992–1023, 1990.
- D. C. Rapaport, The Art of Molecular Dynamics Simulation, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2004.
- V. Kalra and Y. L. Joo, “Coarse-grained molecular dynamics study of block copolymer/nanoparticle composites under elongational flow,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 131, no. 21, Article ID 214904, 2009.
- M. Rahmat, H. Ghiasi, and P. Hubert, “Interaction energy and polymer density profile in nanocomposites: a coarse grain simulation based on interaction stress,” Polymer Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1158–1167, 2012.
- S. C. Chowdhury and T. Okabe, “Computer simulation of carbon nanotube pull-out from polymer by the molecular dynamics method,” Composites A, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 747–754, 2007.
- Y. Kuang and X. He, “Young's moduli of functionalized single-wall carbon nanotubes under tensile loading,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 2009.
- J.-L. Tsai, S.-H. Tzeng, and Y.-T. Chiu, “Characterizing elastic properties of carbon nanotubes/polyimide nanocomposites using multi-scale simulation,” Composites B, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 106–115, 2010.
- G. Odegard, T. Gates, K. Wise, C. Park, and E. J. Siochi, “Constitutive modeling of nanotube-reinforced polymer composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1671–1687, 2003.
- S. J. V. Frankland and V. M. Harik, “Analysis of carbon nanotube pull-out from a polymer matrix,” Surface Science, vol. 525, no. 1–3, pp. L103–L108, 2003.
- M. Al-Haik, M. Y. Hussaini, and H. Garmestani, “Adhesion energy in carbon nanotube-polyethylene composite: effect of chirality,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 97, no. 7, Article ID 074306, 2005.
- R. E. Rudd, “Coarse-grained molecular dynamics for computer modeling of nanomechanical systems,” International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, vol. 2, no. 2, p. 157, 2004.
- S. Cranford and M. J. Buehler, “Coarse-graining parameterization and multiscale simulation of hierarchical systems: part I: theory and model formulation,” in Multiscale Modeling: From Atoms to Devices, P. Derosa and T. Cagin, Eds., Taylor & Francis, London, UK, 2010.
- P. Derreumaux and N. Mousseau, “Coarse-grained protein molecular dynamics simulations,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 126, no. 2, Article ID 025101, 2007.
- N. K. Vaidya, H. Huang, and S. Takagi, “Coarse grained molecular dynamics simulation of interaction between hemagglutinin fusion peptides and lipid bilayer membranes,” Advances in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 2, pp. 430–450, 2010.
- M. Zhang and F. Müller-Plathe, “The Soret effect in dilute polymer solutions: influence of chain length, chain stiffness, and solvent quality,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 125, no. 12, Article ID 124903, 2006.
- A. Di Matteo, F. Müller-Plathe, and G. Milano, “From mesoscale back to atomistic models: a fast reverse-mapping procedure for vinyl polymer chains,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 111, no. 11, pp. 2765–2773, 2007.
- T. Terao, E. Lussetti, and F. M. Müller-Plathe, “Non-equilibrium molecular dynamics methods for computing the thermal conductivity: application to amorphous polymers,” Physical Review E, vol. 75, no. 5, Article ID 057701, 2007.
- M. Fermeglia and S. Pricl, “Multiscale modeling for polymer systems of industrial interest,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 58, no. 2-3, pp. 187–199, 2007.
- C. D. Wick and D. N. Theodorou, “Connectivity-altering Monte Carlo simulations of the end group effects on volumetric properties for poly(ethylene oxide),” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 18, pp. 7026–7033, 2004.
- V. A. Harmandaris, N. P. Adhikari, N. F. A. Van Der Vegt, and K. Kremer, “Hierarchical modeling of polystyrene: from atomistic to coarse-grained simulations,” Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 19, pp. 6708–6719, 2006.
- V. A. Harmandaris, D. Reith, N. F. A. Van Der Vegt, and K. Kremer, “Comparison between coarse-graining models for polymer systems: two mapping schemes for polystyrene,” Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, vol. 208, no. 19-20, pp. 2109–2120, 2007.
- S. Nielsen, C. F. Lopez, G. Srinivas, and M. L. Klein, “A coarse grain model for n-alkanes parameterized from surface tension data,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 119, no. 14, pp. 7043–7049, 2003.
- J. Zhao, S. Nagao, and Z. Zhang, “Thermomechanical properties dependence on chain length In bulk polyethylene: coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 537–544, 2010.
- J. Zhao, S. Nagao, Z. L. Zhang, and H. Kristiansen, “Coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations on size effect of glassy polyethylene particles,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 7340–7342, 2010.
- S. W. Cranford and M. J. Buehler, “In silico assembly and nanomechanical characterization of carbon nanotube buckypaper,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 26, Article ID 265706, 2010.
- B. Xie, Y. Liu, Y. Ding, Q. Zheng, and Z. Xu, “Mechanics of carbon nanotube networks: microstructural evolution and optimal design,” Soft Matter, vol. 7, no. 21, pp. 10039–10047, 2011.
- Y. Li and M. Kröger, “Viscoelasticity of carbon nanotube buckypaper: zipping-unzipping mechanism and entanglement effects,” Soft Matter, vol. 8, pp. 7822–7830, 2012.
- G. Kim, Y. Kim, and J. Ihm, “Encapsulation and polymerization of acetylene molecules inside a carbon nanotube,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 415, no. 4–6, pp. 279–282, 2005.
- K. Mylvaganam and L. C. Zhang, “Nanotube functionalization and polymer grafting: an ab initio study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 39, pp. 15009–15012, 2004.