- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 216536, 8 pages
Wear Behaviour of Eutectic Al-Si Alloy-Graphite Composites Fabricated by Combined Modified Two-Stage Stir Casting and Squeeze Casting Methods
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Karpagam College of Engineering, Coimbatore 641032, India
2Department of Metallurgical Engineering, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore 641004, India
Received 19 May 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Pavel Lejcek
Copyright © 2013 P. Shanmughasundaram and R. Subramanian. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Bhushan, “Tribology: friction, wear, and lubrication,” in The Engineering Handbook, R. C. Dorf, Ed., CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2000.
- C. B. Lin, R. J. Chang, and W. P. Weng, “A study on process and tribological behavior of Al alloy/Gr.(p) composite,” Wear, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 1998.
- W. Ames and A. T. Alpas, “Wear mechanisms in hybrid composites of Graphite-20 Pct SiC in A356 Aluminum Alloy (Al-7 Pct Si-0.3 Pct Mg),” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 85–98, 1995.
- S. Das, S. V. Prasad, and T. R. Ramachandran, “Microstructure and wear of cast (Al-Si alloy)-graphite composites,” Wear, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 173–187, 1989.
- Y. B. Liu, S. C. Lim, S. Ray, and P. K. Rohatgi, “Friction and wear of aluminium-graphite composites: the smearing process of graphite during sliding,” Wear, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 201–205, 1992.
- J. Leng, L. Jiang, G. Wu, S. Tian, and G. Chen, “Effect of graphite particle reinforcement on dry sliding wear of SiC/Gr/Al composites,” Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1894–1898, 2009.
- P. R. Gibson, A. J. Clegg, and A. A. Das, “Wear of cast Al-Si alloys containing graphite,” Wear, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 193–198, 1984.
- B. C. Pai, P. K. Rohatgi, and S. Venkatesh, “Wear resistance of cast graphitic aluminium alloys,” Wear, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 117–125, 1974.
- B. P. Krishnan, N. Raman, K. Narayanaswamy, and P. K. Rohatgi, “Performance of aluminum alloy graphite bearings in a diesel engine,” Tribology International, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 239–244, 1983.
- N. Barekar, S. Tzamtzis, B. K. Dhindaw, J. Patel, N. Hari Babu, and Z. Fan, “Processing of aluminum-graphite particulate metal matrix composites by advanced shear technology,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1230–1240, 2009.
- P. Shanmughasundaram, R. Subramanian, and A. R. Ravikumar, “Analysis of dry sliding wear behaviour of aluminium-fly ash composites: the Taguchi approach,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 658085, 10 pages, 2013.
- P. Shanmughasundaram, R. Subramanian, and G. Prabhu, “Synthesis of Al-fly ash composites by modified two step stir casting method,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 488-489, pp. 775–781, 2012.
- A. M. Hassan, G. M. Tashtoush, and J. A. Al-Khalil, “Effect of graphite and/or silicon carbide particles addition on the hardness and surface roughness of Al-4 wt% Mg alloy,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 453–465, 2007.
- M. R. Rosenberger, C. E. Schvezov, and E. Forlerer, “Wear of different aluminum matrix composites under conditions that generate a mechanically mixed layer,” Wear, vol. 259, no. 1–6, pp. 590–601, 2005.