- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 356824, 14 pages
Curing Pressure Influence of Out-of-Autoclave Processing on Structural Composites for Commercial Aviation
1Polymeric Composites Laboratory, GloCal/F.R.E.E.D.O.M., 3131 Western Avenue M526, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
2University of Texas at Arlington, 500 West First Street, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
3University of Cyprus, P.O. Box 20537, 1678 Nicosia, Cyprus
Received 6 September 2012; Revised 11 December 2012; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: Abbas Milani
Copyright © 2013 Vasileios M. Drakonakis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. J. García, A. J. Hart, B. L. Wardle, and A. H. Slocum, “Fabrication and nanocompression testing of aligned carbon-nanotube-polymer nanocomposites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 16, pp. 2151–2156, 2007.
- M. A. Tudela, P. A. Lagace, and B. L. Wardle, “Buckling response of transversely loaded composite shells, part 1: experiments,” AIAA Journal, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1457–1464, 2004.
- J. C. Seferis, R. W. Hillermeier, and F. U. Buehler, Comprehensive Composite Materials, chapter 2.20, Elsevier, 2000.
- B. S. Hayes and J. C. Seferis, “Rubber toughening of epoxy-cyanate ester blends for VARTM applications,” in Proceedings of the 59th SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, vol. 3, pp. 2940–2943, 2001.
- E. N. Gilbert, B.S. Hayes, and J.C. Seferis, “Characterization of VARTM resin candidates for commercial airplane applications,” in Proceedings of the 33rd International SAMPE Technical Conference, pp. 1368–1378, 2001.
- E. P. M. Williams, B. S. Hayes, and J. C. Seferis, “VARTM processing of honeycomb sandwich composites: effect of SCRIM permeability,” in Proceedings of the 33rd International SAMPE Technical Conference, pp. 1408–1414, 2001.
- R. Peila, S. S. Sangari, T. Karaki, J. C. Seferis, and G. Parker, “Rheological and morphological properties of VARTM (vacuum assisted resin transfer molding) epoxy resins/clay nanocomposites,” in Proceedings of the Society of Plastics Engineers Annual Technical Conference (ANTEC '05), pp. 22–26, May 2005.
- K. J. Ahn, J. C. Seferis, and L. Letterman, “Autoclave resin infusion process. Analysis and prediction of resin content,” SAMPE Quarterly, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 3–10, 1990.
- K. Ishiguro, S. S. Sangari, and J. C. Seferis, “Microcrack initiation mechanism of CFRP under the thermal cycle,” in Proceedings of the Creating New Opportunities for the World Economy (SAMPE '06), May 2006.
- K. Yoshioka, B. S. Hayes, and J. C. Seferis, “Fatigue damage in notched CFRP laminates processed by RTM,” in Proceedings of the 33rd International SAMPE Technical Conference, pp. 601–610, 2001.
- J.-A. E. Manson, T. L. Schneider, and J. C. Seferis, “Press-forming of continuous fiber-reinforced thermoplastic composites,” Polymer Composites, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 1990.
- J. C. Seferis and K. Ahn, “Prepreg processing science and analysis,” in Proceedings of the 34th International SAMPE Symposium, vol. 34, pp. 63–71, 1989.
- J. C. Seferis, C. N. Velisaris, and V. M. Drakonakis, “Prepreg manufacturing,” in Wiley Encyclopedia of Composites, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- V. M. Drakonakis, C. G. Ancuta, J. C. Seferis et al., in Proceedings of the International Conference on Structural Analysis of Advanced Materials (ICSAAM '09), Tarbes, France, September 2009.
- S.-B. Shim, K. J. Ahn, J. C. Seferis, A. J. Berg, and W. Hudson, “Flow and void characterization of stitched structural composites using Resin Film Infusion Process (RFIP),” Polymer Composites, vol. 15, pp. 453–463, 1994.
- M. G. Bader and J. R. Wood, “Void control for polymer-matrix composites (1): theoretical and experimental methods for determining the growth and collapse of gas bubbles,” Composites Manufacturing, vol. 5, pp. 139–147, 1994.
- F. Y. C. Boey and S. W. Lye, “Void reduction in autoclave processing of thermoset composites,” Composites, vol. 23, pp. 261–265, 1992.
- J. L. Kardos, M. P. Dudokovic, and R. Dave, Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 80, pp. 101–123, 1980.
- J. C. Halpin, J. L. Kardos, and M. P. Dudukovic, “Processing science: an approach for prepreg composite systems,” in Proceedings of the IUPAC International Symposium on the Interrelations between Processing Structure and Properties of Polymeric Materials, J. C. Seferis and P. S. Theocaris, Eds., pp. 893–906, Athens, Greece, 1982.
- J. E. Shafizadeh, B. S. Hayes, J. C. Seferis, and M. Thompson, “Fundamentals of breather technology in prepreg consolidation,” Journal of Advanced Materials, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 42–49, 1997.
- B. S. Hayes and J. C. Seferis, “The effect of fabric tension and the number of impregnation rollers on woven fabric prepreg quality and cured laminates,” Composites A, vol. 28, pp. 791–799, 1997.
- A. B. Strong, Fundamentals of Composites Manufacturing, SME, Dearborn, Mich, USA, 1989.
- S.-B. Shim, J. C. Seferis, and W. Hudson, “Process induced void formation in a high performance structural composite system manufactured by autoclave lay-up processing,” Journal of Advanced Materials, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 26–36, 1997.
- S. Tzavalas, D. E. Mouzakis, V. Drakonakis, and V. G. Gregoriou, “Polyethylene terephthalate-multiwall nanotubes nanocomposites: effect of nanotubes on the conformations, crystallinity and crystallization behavior of PET,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 668–676, 2008.
- F. U. Buehler and J. C. Seferis, “Heat diffusion analysis of the temperature distribution and phase lag build-up in TMDSC specimens,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 334, no. 1-2, pp. 49–55, 1999.
- F. U. Buehler and J. C. Seferis, “Thermal gradients in TMDSC samples a comparison of theory and experimental data,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2001.
- J.-A. Manson and J. C. Seferis, “Internal stress determination by process simulated laminates,” in Proceedings of the SPE (ANTEC '87), p. 1446, 1987.