- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 397351, 10 pages
Mechanical Characterization of Cryomilled Al Powder Consolidated by High-Frequency Induction Heat Sintering
1Mechanical Engineering Department, College of Engineering, King Saud University, P.O. Box 800, Riyadh 11421, Saudi Arabia
2Center of Excellence for Research in Engineering Materials, College of Engineering, King Saud University, P.O. Box 800, Riyadh 11421, Saudi Arabia
Received 16 April 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Pavel Lejcek
Copyright © 2013 Ehab A. El-Danaf et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. N. Rittner and T. Abraham, “Nanostructured materials: an overview and commercial analysis,” JOM, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 36–37, 1998.
- H. G. Salem, S. El-Eskandarany, A. Kandil, and H. Abdul Fattah, “Bulk behavior of ball milled AA2124 nanostructured powders reinforced with TiC,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2009, Article ID 479185, 12 pages, 2009.
- V. L. Tellkamp, A. Melmed, and E. J. Lavernia, “Mechanical behavior and microstructure of a thermally stable bulk nanostructured Al alloy,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 2335–2343, 2001.
- J. Lee, F. Zhou, K. H. Chung, N. J. Kim, and E. J. Lavernia, “Grain growth of nanocrystalline Ni powders prepared by cryomilling,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 3109–3115, 2001.
- B. Q. Han, D. Matejczyk, F. Zhou et al., “Communications: mechanical behavior of a cryomilled nanostructured Al-7.5 pct Mg alloy,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 947–949, 2004.
- Y. Xun, E. J. Lavernia, and F. A. Mohamed, “Synthesis of nanocrystalline Zn-22 pct Al using cryomilling,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 573–581, 2004.
- M. Zawarh and L. Shaw, “Microstructure and hardness of nanostructured Al-Fe-Cr-Ti alloysthrough mechanical alloying,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 355, pp. 37–49, 2003.
- B. Q. Han, Z. Lee, S. R. Nutt, E. J. Lavernia, and F. A. Mohamed, “Mechanical properties of an ultrafine-grained Al-7.5 Pct Mg alloy,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 603–613, 2003.
- J. He, K. H. Chung, X. Liao, Y. T. Zhu, and E. J. Lavernia, “Mechanical milling-induced deformation twinning in Fcc materials with high stacking fault energy,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 707–712, 2003.
- G. T. Gray III, “Deformation twinning in Al-4.8 wt% Mg,” Acta Metallurgica, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1745–1754, 1988.
- H. Huang, J. Ding, and P. G. McCormick, “Micro structural evolution of 304 stainless steel during mechanical milling,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 216, no. 1-2, pp. 178–184, 1996.
- H. P. Klug and L. E. Alexander, X-Ray Diffraction Procedures for Polycrystalline and Amorphous Materials, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1974.
- Z. Zhang, F. Zhou, and E. J. Lavernia, “On the analysis of grain size in bulk nanocrystalline materials via x-ray diffraction,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1349–1355, 2003.
- F. Zhou, D. Witkin, S. R. Nutt, and E. J. Lavernia, “Formation of nanostructure in Al produced by a low-energy ball milling at cryogenic temperature,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 375-377, no. 1-2, pp. 917–921, 2004.
- K. A. Khalil and A. A. Almajid, “Effect of high-frequency induction heat sintering conditions on the microstructure and mechanical properties of nanostructured magnesium/hydroxyapatite nanocomposites,” Materials and Design, vol. 36, pp. 58–68, 2012.
- E. A. El-Danaf, M. S. Soliman, A. A. Almajid, and M. M. El-Rayes, “Enhancement of mechanical properties and grain size refinement of commercial purity aluminum 1050 processed by ECAP,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 458, no. 1-2, pp. 226–234, 2007.
- C. C. Koch, “Structural nanocrystalline materials: an overview,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1403–1414, 2007.
- F. Zhou, J. Lee, S. Dallek, and E. J. Lavernia, “High grain size stability of nanocrystalline Al prepared by mechanical attrition,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3451–3458, 2001.
- C. Suryanarayana, “Nanocrystalline materials,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 41–64, 1995.
- H. J. Höfler and R. S. Averback, “Grain growth in nanocrystalline TiO2 and its relation to vickers hardness and fracture toughness,” Scripta Metallurgica et Materiala, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2401–2406, 1990.
- K. Boylan, D. Ostrander, U. Erb, G. Palumbo, and K. T. Aust, “An in-situ tem study of the thermal stability of nanocrystalline NiP,” Scripta Metallurgica et Materiala, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2711–2716, 1991.
- A. Michels, C. E. Krill, H. Ehrhardt, R. Birringer, and D. T. Wu, “Modelling the influence of grain-size-dependent solute drag on the kinetics of grain growth in nanocrystalline materials,” Acta Materialia, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 2143–2152, 1999.
- Z. Q. Gao and B. Fultz, “Inter-dependence of grain growth, Nb segregation, and chemical ordering in FeSiNb nanocrystals,” Nanostructured Materials, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 939–947, 1994.
- K. Maung, R. K. Mishra, I. Roy, L.-C. Lai, F. A. Mohamed, and J. C. Earthman, “Thermal stability of cryomilled nanocrystalline aluminum containing diamantane nanoparticles,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 46, no. 21, pp. 6932–6940, 2011.
- J. E. Burke and D. Turnbull, “Recrystallization and grain growth,” Progress in Metal Physics, vol. 3, pp. 220–292, 1952.
- J. Weissmüller, “Alloy effects in nanostructures,” Nanostructured Materials, vol. 3, no. 1–6, pp. 261–272, 1993.
- J. Weissmuller, “Alloy thermodynamics in nanocrystals,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 9, pp. 4–7, 1994.
- R. Kirchheim, “Grain coarsening inhibited by solute segregation,” Acta Materialia, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 413–419, 2002.
- F. Liu and R. Kirchheim, “Grain boundary saturation and grain growth,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 521–525, 2004.
- X. Song, J. Zhang, L. Li, K. Yang, and G. Liu, “Correlation of thermodynamics and grain growth kinetics in nanocrystalline metals,” Acta Materialia, vol. 54, no. 20, pp. 5541–5550, 2006.
- Z. Chen, F. Liu, W. Yang, H. Wang, G. Yang, and Y. Zhou, “Influence of grain boundary energy on the grain size evolution in nanocrystalline materials,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 475, no. 1-2, pp. 893–897, 2009.
- F. A. Mohamed, “A dislocation model for the minimum grain size obtainable by milling,” Acta Materialia, vol. 51, no. 14, pp. 4107–4119, 2003.
- K. Maung, J. C. Earthman, and F. A. Mohamed, “Inverse Hall-Petch behavior in diamantane stabilized bulk nanocrystalline aluminum,” Acta Materialia, vol. 60, pp. 5850–5857, 2012.