- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 412458, 6 pages
Preparation of Biodegradable Silk Fibroin/Alginate Blend Films for Controlled Release of Antimicrobial Drugs
Biodegradable Polymers Research Unit, Department of Chemistry and Center of Excellence for Innovation in Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahasarakham University, Mahasarakham 44150, Thailand
Received 6 May 2013; Revised 29 July 2013; Accepted 15 August 2013
Academic Editor: Jie Dai
Copyright © 2013 Yaowalak Srisuwan and Yodthong Baimark. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Kumar, S. K. Prajapati, G. C. Soni, M. Singh, and N. Kumar, “Sustained release matrix type drug delivery system: a review,” World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 934–960, 2012.
- G. H. Altman, F. Diaz, C. Jakuba et al., “Silk-based biomaterials,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 401–416, 2003.
- L. Meinel, R. Fajardo, S. Hofmann et al., “Silk implants for the healing of critical size bone defects,” Bone, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 688–698, 2005.
- A. S. Lammel, X. Hu, S.-H. Park, D. L. Kaplan, and T. R. Scheibel, “Controlling silk fibroin particle features for drug delivery,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 16, pp. 4583–4591, 2010.
- E. M. Pritchard, C. Szybala, D. Boison, and D. L. Kaplan, “Silk fibroin encapsulated powder reservoirs for sustained release of adenosine,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 159–167, 2010.
- K. Y. Lee and D. J. Mooney, “Alginate: properties and biomedical applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 106–126, 2012.
- H. Wu, C. Liao, Q. Jiao, Z. Wang, W. Cheng, and Y. Wan, “Fabrication of core-shell microspheres using alginate and chitosan-polycaprolactone for controlled release of vascular endothelial growth factor,” Reactive Functional Polymers, vol. 72, pp. 427–437, 2012.
- A. Shilpa, S. S. Agrawal, and A. R. Ray, “Controlled delivery of drugs from alginate matrix,” Journal of Macromolecular Science C, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 187–221, 2003.
- J. K. Oh, D. I. Lee, and J. M. Park, “Biopolymer-based microgels/nanogels for drug delivery applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1261–1282, 2009.
- C. A. García-González, M. Alnaief, and I. Smirnova, “Polysaccharide-based aerogels—promising biodegradable carriers for drug delivery systems,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1425–1438, 2011.
- S. P. Vyas, V. Sihorkar, and V. Mishra, “Controlled and targeted drug delivery strategies towards intraperiodontal pocket diseases,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 21–42, 2000.
- J. Zhou, C. Cao, X. Ma, L. Hu, L. Chen, and C. Wang, “In vitro and in vivo degradation behavior of aqueous-derived electrospun silk fibroin scaffolds,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 1679–1685, 2010.
- Y. Baimark, N. Niamsa, N. Morakot, J. Threeprom, and Y. Srisuwan, “Preparation and morphology study of biodegradable chitosan/methoxy poly(ethylene glycol)-b-poly(ε-caprolactone) nanocomposite films,” International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 457–467, 2007.
- A. Joshi, R. Keerthiprasad, R. D. Jayant, and R. Srivastava, “Nano-in-micro alginate based hybrid particles,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 790–798, 2010.
- R. C. Mundargi, N. B. Shelke, A. P. Rokhade, S. A. Patil, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of novel starch-based tableted microspheres for controlled release of ampicillin,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 42–53, 2008.
- A. Roy, J. Bajpai, and A. K. Bajpai, “Dynamics of controlled release of chlorpyrifos from swelling and eroding biopolymeric microspheres of calcium alginate and starch,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 222–231, 2009.
- Y. Srisuwan, P. Srihanam, and Y. Baimark, “Preparation of silk fibroin microspheres and its application to protein adsorption,” Journal of Macromolecular Science A, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 521–525, 2009.
- Y. Hu, Q. Zhang, R. You, L. Wang, and M. Li, “The relationship between secondary structure and biodegradation behavior of silk fibroin scaffolds,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 185905, 5 pages, 2012.