- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 415359, 9 pages
A Review of Structural Performance of Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch Fiber in Polymer Composites
Civil Engineering Faculty, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, P.O. Box 81310, Skudai, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Received 4 September 2012; Revised 13 December 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editor: Markku Leskela
Copyright © 2013 Reza Mahjoub et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Huang, V. Birman, A. Nanni, and G. Tunis, “Properties and potential for application of steel reinforced polymer and steel reinforced grout composites,” Composites B, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 73–82, 2005.
- M. Pecce, F. Ceroni, A. Prota, and G. Manfredi, “Response prediction of RC beams externally bonded with steel-reinforced polymers,” Journal of Composites for Construction, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 195–203, 2006.
- Y. F. Wu, J. H. Yan, Y. W. Zhou, and Y. Xiao, “Ultimate strength of reinforced concrete beams retrofitted with hybrid bonded fiber-reinforced polymer,” ACI Structural Journal, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 451–460, 2010.
- J. Li, S. L. Bakoss, B. Samali, and L. Ye, “Reinforcement of concrete beam-column connections with hybrid FRP sheet,” Composite Structures, vol. 47, no. 1–4, pp. 805–812, 1999.
- L. C. Hollaway, “A review of the present and future utilisation of FRP composites in the civil infrastructure with reference to their important in-service properties,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2419–2445, 2010.
- M. Jawaid, H. P. S. A. Khalil, and A. A. Bakar, “Mechanical performance of oil palm empty fruit bunches/jute fibres reinforced epoxy hybrid composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 527, no. 29-30, pp. 7944–7949, 2010.
- M. Pervaiz and M. M. Sain, “Carbon storage potential in natural fiber composites,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 325–340, 2003.
- M. A. de Farias, M. Z. Farina, A. P. T. Pezzin, and D. A. K. Silva, “Unsaturated polyester composites reinforced with fiber and powder of peach palm: mechanical characterization and water absorption profile,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 510–513, 2003.
- G. Cicala, G. Cristaldi, G. Recca, G. Ziegmann, A. El-Sabbagh, and M. Dickert, “Properties and performances of various hybrid glass/natural fibre composites for curved pipes,” Materials and Design, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 2538–2542, 2009.
- S. Shinoj, R. Visvanathan, S. Panigrahi, and N. Varadharaju, “Dynamic mechanical properties of oil palm fibre (OPF)-linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE) biocomposites and study of fibre-matrix interactions,” Biosystems Engineering, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 99–107, 2011.
- M. S. Sreekala, M. G. Kumaran, and S. Thomas, “Oil palm fibers: morphology, chemical composition, surface modification, and mechanical properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 821–835, 1997.
- M. Zuhri, M. Yusoff, S. M. Sapuan, N. Ismail, and R. Wirawan, “Mechanical properties of short random oil palm fibre reinforced epoxy composites,” Sains Malaysiana, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2010.
- M. Khalid, C. T. Ratnam, T. G. Chuah, S. Ali, and S. Y. C. Thomas, “Comparative study of polypropylene composites reinforced with oil palm empty fruit bunch fiber and oil palm derived cellulose,” Materials and Design, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 173–178, 2008.
- C. Varga, N. Miskolczi, L. Bartha, and G. Lipóczi, “Improving the mechanical properties of glass-fibre-reinforced polyester composites by modification of fibre surface,” Materials and Design, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 185–193, 2010.
- M. S. Sreekala, J. George, M. G. Kumaran, and S. Thomas, “The mechanical performance of hybrid phenol-formaldehyde-based composites reinforced with glass and oil palm fibres,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 339–353, 2002.
- M. Karina, H. Onggo, A. H. D. Abdullah, and A. Syampurwadi, “Effect of oil palm empty fruit bunch fiber on the physical and mechanical properties of fiber glass reinforced polyester resin,” Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 2008.
- K. M. M. Rao and K. M. Rao, “Extraction and tensile properties of natural fibers: vakka, date and bamboo,” Composite Structures, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 288–295, 2007.
- A. Kalam, B. B. Sahari, Y. A. Khalid, and S. V. Wong, “Fatigue behaviour of oil palm fruit bunch fibre/epoxy and carbon fibre/ epoxy composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 34–44, 2005.
- M. Jawaid, H. P. S. A. Khalil, and A. A. Bakar, “Woven hybrid composites: tensile and flexural properties of oil palm-woven jute fibres based epoxy composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 528, no. 15, pp. 5190–5195, 2011.
- L. S. Chin, Characterization of natural fiber polymer composites for structural application [dissertation], Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 2008.
- S. Joseph, P. A. Sreekumar, J. M. Kenny, D. Puglia, S. Thomas, and K. Joseph, “Oil palm microcomposites: processing and mechanical behavior,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1853–1863, 2010.
- S. Joseph, S. P. Appukuttan, J. M. Kenny, and D. Puglia, “Dynamic mechanical properties of oil palm microfibril-reinforced natural rubber composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 1298–1308, 2010.
- H. D. Rozman, G. S. Tay, R. N. Kumar, A. Abusamah, H. Ismail, and I. Z. A. Mohd, “Polypropylene-oil palm empty fruit bunch-glass fibre hybrid composites: a preliminary study on the flexural and tensile properties,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1283–1291, 2001.
- A. S. Virk, W. Hall, and J. Summerscales, “Failure strain as the key design criterion for fracture of natural fibre composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 995–999, 2010.
- H. V. S. GangaRao, N. Taly, and P. V. Vijay, Reinforced Concrete Design with FRP Composites, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Fla, USA.
- X. Li, L. G. Tabil, and S. Panigrahi, “Chemical treatments of natural fiber for use in natural fiber-reinforced composites: a review,” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2007.
- A. Alawar, A. M. Hamed, and K. Al-Kaabi, “Characterization of treated date palm tree fiber as composite reinforcement,” Composites B, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 601–606, 2009.
- S. Mishra, A. K. Mohanty, L. T. Drzal et al., “Studies on mechanical performance of biofibre/glass reinforced polyester hybrid composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1377–1385, 2003.
- C. A. S. Hill and H. P. S. A. Khalil, “Effect of fiber treatments on mechanical properties of coir or oil palm fiber reinforced polyester composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 78, pp. 1685–1697, 2000.
- S. Zakaria and L. K. Poh, “Polystyrene-benzoylated EFB reinforced composites,” Polymer, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 951–962, 2002.
- R. Agarwal, N. S. Saxena, K. B. Sharma, S. Thomas, and M. S. Sreekala, “Temperature dependence of effective thermal conductivity and thermal diffusivity of treated and untreated polymer composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1708–1714, 2003.
- A. A. Bakar and N. Baharulrazi, “Mechanical properties of benzoylated oil palm empty fruit bunch short fiber reinforced poly(vinyl chloride) composites,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 1072–1079, 2008.
- A. A. Bakar, A. Hassan, and A. F. M. Yusof, “The effect of oil extraction of the oil palm empty fruit bunch on the processability, impact, and flexural properties of PVC-U composites,” International Journal of Polymeric Materials, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 627–641, 2006.
- S. Shinoj, R. Visvanathan, S. Panigrahi, and M. Kochubabu, “Oil palm fiber (OPF) and its composites: a review,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 7–22, 2011.