- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 496207, 10 pages
Processing and Validation of Whey-Protein-Coated Films and Laminates at Semi-Industrial Scale as Novel Recyclable Food Packaging Materials with Excellent Barrier Properties
1Innovació i Recerca Industrial i Sostenible (IRIS), Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia, Avenida Carl Friedrich Gauss No. 11, 08860 Castelldefels, Spain
2Material Development Department, Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging IVV, Giggenhauser Straße 35, 85354 Freising, Germany
3Chair of food packaging technology, Technische Universität München, Weihenstephaner Steig 22, 85354 Freising, Germany
4Food Technology and Bioprocess Engineering, ttz Bremerhaven, Fischkai 1, 27572 Bremerhaven, Germany
5Department of Chemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry and Materials Science, University of Pisa, Via Diotisalvi No. 2, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Received 25 August 2012; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wen-Hua Sun
Copyright © 2013 E. Bugnicourt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Jasko, E. Skripsts, V. Dubrovskis, E. Zabarovskis, and V. Kotelenecs, “Biogas production from cheese whey in two phase anaerobic digestion,” Engineering for Rural Development, pp. 373–376, 2011.
- C. I. Onwulata, R. P. Konstance, P. H. Cooke, and H. M. Farrell, “Functionality of extrusion–texturized whey proteins,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 86, no. 11, pp. 3775–3782, 2003.
- G. Braunegg, A. Atlic, M. Dias, and M. Koller, “Novel biotechnological processes for production of polymers, chemicals, and biofuels from waste,” in Workshop on Green Olympics, Green Materials and Biofuels, pp. 14–15, Beijing, China, December 2008.
- K. Khwaldia, C. Ferez, S. Banon, S. Desobry, and J. Hardy, “Milk proteins for edible films and coatings,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 239–251, 2004.
- K. S. Miller and J. M. Krochta, “Oxygen and aroma barrier properties of edible films: a review,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 228–237, 1997.
- M. Gällstedt, Films and Composites Based on Chitosan, Wheat Gluten or Whey Proteins -Their Packaging Related Mechanical and Barrier Properties, Fibre and Polymer Technology Department, Kth, Sweden, 2004.
- S. I. Hong and J. M. Krochta, “Whey protein isolate coating on LDPE film as a novel oxygen barrier in the composite structure,” Packaging Technology and Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2004.
- J. W. Lee, S. M. Son, and S. I. Hong, “Characterization of protein-coated polypropylene films as a novel composite structure for active food packaging application,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 484–493, 2008.
- R. Sothornvit, D. S. Reid, and J. M. Krochta, “Plasticizer effect on the glass transition temperature of beta-lactoglobulin films,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1479–1484, 2002.
- K. L. Dangaran and J. M. Krochta, “Preventing the loss of tensile, barrier and appearance properties caused by plasticiser crystallisation in whey protein films,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1094–1100, 2007.
- T. H. McHugh and J. M. Krochta, “Sorbitol- vs glycerol-plasticized whey protein edible films: integrated oxygen permeability and tensile property evaluation,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 841–845, 1994.
- M. Ozdemir and J. D. Floros, “Optimization of edible whey protein films containing preservatives for mechanical and optical properties,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 116–123, 2008.
- M. Schmid, K. Dallmann, E. Bugnicourt et al., “Properties of whey protein coated films and laminates as novel recyclable food packaging materials with excellent barrier properties,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2012, Article ID 562381, 7 pages, 2012.
- M. Schmid, K. Noller, F. Wild, and E. Bugnicourt, “Whey protein coated films,” Patent PCT/ IB2011/053271, 2011.
- M. Schmid, K. Dallmann, F. Wild, and K. Noller, Whey protein coated plastic films to improve barrier properties of food packaging materials (Poster). Sonderschau “Nachhaltigkeit & Corporate Social Responsibility”—Intermopro. Düsseldorf, Germany, 2010.
- K. Müller, Packstoffe in Der Optik. IVlV-Merkblatt Für Die Prüfung Von Folien Und Formteilen Aus Kunststoff, Fraunhofer IVV, Freising, Germany, 2011.
- S. I. Hong and J. M. Krochta, “Oxygen barrier performance of whey-protein-coated plastic films as affected by temperature, relative humidity, base film and protein type,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 739–745, 2006.
- Amtliche Sammlung von Untersuchungsverfahren nach §35 LMBG. 1981: L 06.00-7.
- Amtliche Sammlung von Untersuchungsverfahren nach §35 LMBG. 1991: L 13.00-6.
- Amtliche Sammlung von Untersuchungsverfahren nach §35 LMBG. 1987: L 13.00-5.
- K. H. Lund, L. Lillemark, and J. H. Petersen, “A DANREF certified reference plastic for measurement of overall migration into the food simulant olive oil by single sided testing,” Fresenius' Journal of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 367, no. 8, pp. 742–747, 2000.
- C. G. Kumar, R. K. Malik, and M. P. Tiwari, “Novel enzyme-based detergents: an Indian perspective,” Current Science, vol. 75, no. 12, pp. 1312–1318, 1998.
- J. K. A. Kamal, T. Xia, S. K. Pal, L. Zhao, and A. H. Zewail, “Enzyme functionality and solvation of Subtilisin Carlsberg: from hours to femtoseconds,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 387, no. 4–6, pp. 209–215, 2004.
- E. Bugnicourt, M. Schmid, O. Mc Nerney, and F. Wild, Wheylayer: The barrier coating of the future. Coating International, 2010.
- P. Cinelli and A. Lazzeri, Le Proteine nel Settore Degli Imballaggi Wheylayer. Bio-Imballaggio Derivato dal Siero del Latte, Biopolpack, Parma, Italy, 2010.
- P. Cinelli, A. Lazzeri, and E. Bugnicourt, Wheylayer—recycling methods for polymer films coated with whey protein, Compack Chennai, Complete Packaging Expo And Trade Fair, Chennai., India, 2011.