- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 561273, 9 pages
Compression of Multilayered Composite Electrospun Scaffolds: A Novel Strategy to Rapidly Enhance Mechanical Properties and Three Dimensionality of Bone Scaffolds
1Tissue Engineering Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843067, Richmond, VA 23284-3067, USA
2School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843067, Richmond, VA 23284-3067, USA
3Biomaterials Laboratory, School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843067, Richmond, VA 23284-3067, USA
4Department of Biomedical Engineering, School of Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843067, Richmond, VA 23284-3067, USA
Received 6 July 2012; Accepted 14 December 2012
Academic Editor: Manish U. Chhowalla
Copyright © 2013 Parthasarathy A. Madurantakam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. O. Hollinger and A. Chaudhari, “Bone regeneration materials for the mandibular and craniofacial complex,” Cells and Materials, vol. 4, pp. 143–151, 1992.
- M. V. Hillsley and J. A. Frangos, “Bone tissue engineering: the role of interstitial fluid flow,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 573–581, 1994.
- D. W. Hutmacher, “Scaffolds in tissue engineering bone and cartilage,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 2529–2543, 2000.
- J. Y. Rho, L. Kuhn-Spearing, and P. Zioupos, “Mechanical properties and the hierarchical structure of bone,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 92–102, 1998.
- B. D. Ratner, A. S. Hoffman, F. J. Schoen, et al., “Orthopedic materials. Application of materials in medicine, biology and artificial organs,” in Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine, Elsevier-Academic Press, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- D. W. Hutmacher, J. T. Schantz, C. X. Lam, K. C. Tan, and T. C. Lim, “State of the art and future directions of scaffold-based bone engineering from a biomaterials perspective,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 245–260, 2007.
- J. D. Currey, “The design of mineralised hard tissues for their mechanical functions,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 202, no. 23, pp. 3285–3294, 1999.
- P. Fratzl, H. S. Gupta, E. P. Paschalis, and P. Roschger, “Structure and mechanical quality of the collagen-mineral nano-composite in bone,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 14, pp. 2115–2123, 2004.
- S. J. Peter, M. J. Miller, A. W. Yasko, M. J. Yaszemski, and A. G. Mikos, “Polymer concepts in tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 422–427, 1998.
- J. H. Jang, O. Castano, and H. W. Kim, “Electrospun materials as potential platforms for bone tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1065–1083, 2009.
- C. P. Barnes, S. A. Sell, E. D. Boland, D. G. Simpson, and G. L. Bowlin, “Nanofiber technology: designing the next generation of tissue engineering scaffolds,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, no. 14, pp. 1413–1433, 2007.
- S. A. Sell, M. J. McClure, K. Garg, P. S. Wolfe, and G. L. Bowlin, “Electrospinning of collagen/biopolymers for regenerative medicine and cardiovascular tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1007–1019, 2009.
- S. S. Liao, F. Z. Cui, W. Zhang, and Q. L. Feng, “Hierarchically biomimetic bone scaffold materials: nano-HA/collagen/PLA composite,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 2004.
- M. P. Prabhakaran, J. Venugopal, and S. Ramakrishna, “Electrospun nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 2884–2893, 2009.
- J. Venugopal, M. P. Prabhakaran, Y. Zhang, S. Low, A. T. Choon, and S. Ramakrishna, “Biomimetic hydroxyapatite-containing composite nanofibrous substrates for bone tissue engineering,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 368, no. 1917, pp. 2065–2081, 2010.
- D. Gupta, J. Venugopal, S. Mitra, V. R. Giri Dev, and S. Ramakrishna, “Nanostructured biocomposite substrates by electrospinning and electrospraying for the mineralization of osteoblasts,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2085–2094, 2009.
- R. Zhang and P. X. Ma, “Porous poly(L-lactic acid)/apatite composites created by biomimetic process,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 285–293, 1999.
- A. Oyane, H. M. Kim, T. Furuya, T. Kokubo, T. Miyazaki, and T. Nakamura, “Preparation and assessment of revised simulated body fluids,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 188–195, 2003.
- P. A. Madurantakam, I. A. Rodriguez, C. P. Cost et al., “Multiple factor interactions in biomimetic mineralization of electrospun scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 29, pp. 5456–5464, 2009.
- C. A. Gregory, W. G. Gunn, A. Peister, and D. J. Prockop, “An Alizarin red-based assay of mineralization by adherent cells in culture: comparison with cetylpyridinium chloride extraction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 329, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2004.
- S. Sell, C. Barnes, D. Simpson, and G. Bowlin, “Scaffold permeability as a means to determine fiber diameter and pore size of electrospun fibrinogen,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2008.
- K. L. Kilpadi, P. L. Chang, and S. L. Bellis, “Hydroxylapatite binds more serum proteins, purified integrins, and osteoblast precursor cells than titanium or steel,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 258–267, 2001.
- I. A. Rodriguez, P. A. Madurantakam, J. M. McCool, et al., “Mineralization potential of electrospun PDO-hydroxyapatite-fibrinogen blended scaffolds,” International Journal of Biomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 159484, 12 pages, 2012.
- S. A. Sell, M. J. McClure, C. P. Barnes et al., “Electrospun polydioxanone-elastin blends: potential for bioresorbable vascular grafts,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 72–80, 2006.
- W. N. Chow, D. G. Simpson, J. W. Bigbee, and R. J. Colello, “Evaluating neuronal and glial growth on electrospun polarized matrices: bridging the gap in percussive spinal cord injuries,” Neuron Glia Biology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 119–126, 2007.
- M. P. Francis, P. C. Sachs, P. A. Madurantakam et al., “Electrospinning adipose tissue-derived extracellular matrix for adipose stem cell culture,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 1716–1724, 2012.
- M. J. McClure, P. S. Wolfe, D. G. Simpson, S. A. Sell, and G. L. Bowlin, “The use of air-flow impedance to control fiber deposition patterns during electrospinning,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 3, 7719 pages, 2012.