- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 562726, 8 pages
Effects of Clay and Moisture Content on Direct Shear Tests for Clay-Sand Mixtures
Civil Engineering Department, King Saud University, Riyadh 11421, Saudi Arabia
Received 12 December 2012; Revised 20 December 2012; Accepted 21 December 2012
Academic Editor: Paolo Colombo
Copyright © 2013 Muawia A. Dafalla. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. G. Studds, D. I. Stewart, and T. W. Cousens, “The effects of salt solutions on the properties of bentonite-sand mixtures,” Clay Minerals, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 651–660, 1998.
- L. H. Mollins, D. I. Stewart, and T. W. Cousens, “Drained strength of bentonite-enhanced sand,” Geotechnique, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 523–528, 1999.
- D. I. Stewart, P. G. Studds, and T. W. Cousens, “The factors controlling the engineering properties of bentonite-enhanced sand,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 23, no. 1–4, pp. 97–110, 2003.
- M. A. Dafalla, M. A. Al-Shamrani, and A. Obaid, “Reducing erosion along the surface of sloping clay-sand liners,” in Proceedings of the ASCE Geo-Congress, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2013.
- American Society for Testing and Materials, Designation: D, 3080/D, 3080M-11, Standard Test Method for Direct Shear Test of Soils under Consolidated Drained Conditions, vol. 4.08 of Annual Book of ASTM Standards, 2011.
- A. Hamidi, V. Yazdanjou, and N. Salimi, “Shear strength characteristics of sand-gravel mixtures,” International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2009.
- J. Bowles, Foundation Analysis & Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 5th edition, 1995.
- C. C. Ladd, “Stability evaluation during staged construction,” Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 540–615, 1991.
- A. D. Bro, J. P. Stewart, and D. Pradel, Estimating Undrained Strength of Clays from Direct Shear Testing at Fast Displacement Rates, Proceedings of ASCE Geocongress, 2013.
- R. W. Boulanger and I. M. Idris, “Evaluation of cyclic softening in silts and clays,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, vol. 133, no. 6, pp. 641–652, 2007.