- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 630984, 6 pages
Review on Techniques for On-Line Monitoring of Resistance Spot Welding Process
College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, Hohhot 010018, China
Received 2 August 2013; Accepted 26 November 2013
Academic Editor: Daolun Chen
Copyright © 2013 Yanhua Ma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- RWMA, Resistance Welding Manual, Resistance Welder Manufacturer's Association, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 4th edition, 1989.
- A. Stiebel, C. Ulmer, D. Kodrack, and B. Holmes, “Monitoring and control of spot weld operations,” SAE Technical Paper 860579, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, 1986.
- S. A. Westgate, “Resistance welding—state of the art,” Welding and Cutting, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 256–260, 2003.
- S. A. Westgate, “A general overview of recent developments in resistance welding,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding, Aachen, Germany, 2002.
- D. W. Dickinson, J. E. Franklin, and A. Stanya, “Characterization of spot welding behavior by dynamic electrical parameter monitoring,” Welding Journal, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 170–176, 1980.
- J. Ruisz, J. Biber, and M. Loipetsberger, “Quality evaluation in resistance spot welding by analysing the weld fingerprint on metal bands by computer vision,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 33, no. 9-10, pp. 952–960, 2007.
- Y. V. Kamat and K. D. Lagoo, “In-process monitoring of resistance spot welding,” Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments, vol. 2101, no. 1, pp. 650–659, 1993.
- T. Kim, Y. Lee, J. Lee, and S. Rhee, “A study of nondestructive weld quality inspection and estimation during resistance spot welding,” in Advances in Nondestructive Evaluation, vol. 270–273 of Key Engineering Materials, pp. 2338–2344.
- D. R. Andrews and S. Bhattacharya, “Dynamic resistance and its application to in-process control of spot welding,” Exploiting Welding in Production Technology, no. 1, pp. 221–227, 1975.
- C. S. Chien and E. Kannatey-Asibu, “Investigation of monitoring systems for resistance spot welding,” Welding Journal, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 195s–199s, 2002.
- A. G. Livshits, “Universal quality assurance method for resistance spot welding based on dynamic resistance,” Welding Journal, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 383s–390s, 1997.
- X. Chen and K. Araki, “Fuzzy adaptive process control of resistance spot welding with a current reference model,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Processing Systems, pp. 190–194, Beijing, China, 1997.
- X. Wang, G. Meng, Y. Li, W. Xie, and Z. Feng, “Measurement of primary dynamic resistance of AC resistance spot welding using power factor and piecewise spline interpolation,” Advanced Science Letters, vol. 4, no. 6-7, pp. 1939–1944, 2011.
- J. Wen, C. S. Wang, G. C. Xu, and X. Q. Zhang, “Real time monitoring weld quality of resistance spot welding for stainless steel,” ISIJ International, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 553–556, 2009.
- G. Xu, J. Wen, C. Wang, and X. Zhang, “Quality monitoring for resistance spot welding using dynamic signals,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA' 09), pp. 2495–2499, Changchun, China, 2009.
- S. C. Wang and P. S. Wei, “Modeling dynamic electrical resistance during resistance spot welding,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 576–585, 2000.
- F. Garza and M. Das, “On real time monitoring and control of resistance spot welds using dynamic-DC resistance signatures,” in Proceedings of the 44th IEEE Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, vol. 1, pp. 41–44, 2001.
- S. A. Gedeon, C. D. Ulrich, K. T. Ululrich, and T. W. Eager, “Measurement of dynamic electrical and mechanical properties of resistance spot welds,” Welding Journal, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 378s–385s, 1987.
- Y. Cho and S. Rhee, “New technology for measuring dynamic resistance and estimating strength in resistance spot welding,” Measurement Science & Technology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1173–1178, 2000.
- Y. Cho and S. Rhee, “Primary circuit dynamic resistance monitoring and its application to quality estimation during resistance spot welding,” Welding Journal, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 40–43, 2002.
- Y. Cho, Y. Kim, and S. Rhee, “Development of a quality estimation model using multivariate analysis during resistance spot welding,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, vol. 215, no. 11, pp. 1529–1538, 2001.
- S.-F. Ling, L.-X. Wan, Y.-R. Wong, and D.-N. Li, “Input electrical impedance as quality monitoring signature for characterizing resistance spot welding,” NDT & E International, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 200–205, 2010.
- S. F. Ling and L. X. Wan, “Monitoring a spot welding process via electrical input impedance,” in Proceeding of the 19th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, pp. 348–351, 2000.
- D. Hu, R. Zheng, and D. Ji, “Study of electrodes displacements monitoring system in resistance spot welding,” Journal of Nanchang Institue of Aeronautical Technology China, no. 1, pp. 16–22 (Chinese).
- H. S. Cho and D. W. Chun, “A microprocessor-based electrode movement controller for spot weld quality assurance,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 234–238, 1985.
- H. Wang, Y. Zhang, and A. Chen, “Resistance spot welding processing monitoring based on electrode displacement curve using moving range chart,” Measurement, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1032–1038, 2009.
- Y. S. Zhang, X. Y. Zhang, X. M. Lai, and G. L. Chen, “Online quality inspection of resistance spot welded joint based on electrode indentation using servo gun,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 449–454, 2007.
- Y. Li, J. Xu, G. Chen, and Z. Lin, “Real-time measuring system design and application of thermal expansion displacement during resistance spot welding process,” Proceedings of the Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers, vol. 6041, pp. T411–T411, 2005.
- Y. J. Park and H. Cho, “Quality evaluation by classification of electrode force patterns in the resistance spot welding process using neural networks,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers B, vol. 218, no. 11, pp. 1513–1524, 2004.
- C. Ma, S. D. Bhole, D. L. Chen, A. Lee, E. Biro, and G. Boudreau, “Expulsion monitoring in spot welded advanced high strength automotive steels,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 480–487, 2006.
- C. T. Ji and Y. Zhou, “Dynamic electrode force and displacement in resistance spot welding of aluminum,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 605–610, 2004.
- R. B. Hirsch, “Tip force control equals spot weld quality,” Welding Journal, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 57–60, 1993.
- H. Tang, W. Wu, S. J. Hu, and H. Zhang, “Force characteristics in resistance spot welding,” Welding Journal, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 175s–183s, 2000.
- P. Wu, Y. H. Ma, B. S. Han, and J. Y. Han, “Experiment and analysis on electromagnetic force in resistance spot welding,” Transaction of Welding, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 4–6, 2006 (Chinese).
- S. I. Rocklin and L. Adler, “Ultra evaluation of spot welding quality,” Welding Journal, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 191–200, 1985.
- Z. Luo, S. Hu, and P. Shan, “Application of time frequency analysis to air borne acoustic signals of aluminum alloys spot welding,” Transactions of the China Welding Institution, no. 1, pp. 36–37, 2004 (Chinese).
- Y. luo, J. Li, and W. Wu, “Characterization of nugget nucleation quality based on the structure-borne acoustic emission signals detected during resistance spot welding process,” Measurement, vol. 46, pp. 1053–1060, 2013.
- H.-T. Lee, M. Wang, R. Maev, and E. Maeva, “A study on using scanning acoustic microscopy and neural network techniques to evaluate the quality of resistance spot welding,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 22, no. 9-10, pp. 727–732, 2003.