- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 639071, 8 pages
Inhibitive Action of Ferrous Gluconate on Aluminum Alloy in Saline Environment
1Department of Chemical, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Tshwane University of Technology, PMB. X680, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
2College of Science and Technology, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria
3Department of Electrical Engineering, Tshwane University of Technology, PMB. X680, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Received 26 June 2013; Revised 14 October 2013; Accepted 1 November 2013
Academic Editor: Martin Crimp
Copyright © 2013 Patricia Abimbola Idowu Popoola et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Abdulwahab, I. A. Madugu, S. A. Yaro, S. B. Hassan, and A. P. I. Popoola, “Effects of multiple-step thermal ageing treatment on the hardness characteristics of A356.0-type Al-Si-Mg alloy,” Materials and Design, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 1159–1166, 2011.
- M. Metikoš-Huković, R. Babić, and Z. Grubač, “The study of aluminium corrosion in acidic solution with nontoxic inhibitors,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2002.
- M. A. Amin, H. H. Hassan, O. A. Hazzazi, and M. M. Qhatani, “Role of alloyed silicon and some inorganic inhibitors in the inhibition of meta-stable and stable pitting of Al in perchlorate solutions,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1589–1598, 2008.
- A. M. Al-Turkustani and M. M. Al-Solmi, “Corrosion inhibition of aluminium in acidic solution by aqueous extract of ajowan plant as green inhibitor,” Journal of Asian Scientific Research, vol. 1, pp. 346–358, 2011.
- R. Khandelwal, S. Sahu, S. K. Arora, and S. P. Mathur, “Study of corrosion inhibition efficiency of naturally occurring plant cordial dicotoma on aluminium in acidic media,” Journal of Corrosion Science and Engineering, vol. 13, 2010, Preprint 12.
- M. Kliškić, J. Radošević, S. Gudić, and V. Katalinić, “Aqueous extract of Rosmarinus officinalis L. as inhibitor of Al-Mg alloy corrosion in chloride solution,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 823–830, 2000.
- C. A. Loto and A. P. I. Popoola, “Plants extracts corrosion inhibition of aluminium alloy in H2SO4,” Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, vol. 6, pp. 1973–1980, 2012.
- S. S. Abdel Rehim, H. H. Hassan, and M. A. Amin, “Chronoamperometric studies of pitting corrosion of Al and (Al-Si) alloys by halide ions in neutral sulphate solutions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1921–1938, 2004.
- E. McCafferty, “Competitive adsorption model for the inhibition of crevice corrosion and pitting,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 137, no. 12, pp. 3731–3737, 1990.
- P. L. Cabot, F. A. Centellas, E. Pérez, and R. Loukili, “Pitting and repassivation processes of AlZnMg alloys in chloride solutions containing sulphate,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 38, no. 18, pp. 2741–2748, 1993.
- G. Blustein, J. Rodriguez, R. Romanogli, and C. F. Zinola, “Inhibition of steel corrosion by calcium benzoate adsorption in nitrate solutions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 369–383, 2005.
- K. C. Emregül, A. Abdülkadir Akay, and O. Atakol, “The corrosion inhibition of steel with Schiff base compounds in 2 M HCl,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 93, no. 2-3, pp. 325–329, 2005.
- B. Gao, X. Zhang, and Y. Sheng, “Studies on preparing and corrosion inhibition behaviour of quaternized polyethyleneimine for low carbon steel in sulfuric acid,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 108, no. 2-3, pp. 375–381, 2008.
- P. B. Raja and M. G. Sethuraman, “Natural products as corrosion inhibitor for metals in corrosive media—a review,” Materials Letters, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 113–116, 2008.
- A. Singh and M. A. Quraishi, “Azwain (Trachy-Spermum copticum) seed extract as an efficient corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in NaOH solution,” Research Journal of Recent Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 57–61, 2012.
- R. A. Mohammed, M. Abdulwahab, I. A. Madugu, J. O. Gaminana, and F. Asuke, “Inhibitive effect by natural Cyperus esculentus L. oil on the corrosion of A356. 0-type Al-Si-Mg alloy in simulated seawater environment,” Journal of Material Environmental Science, vol. 1, pp. 93–98, 2013.
- P. D. R. Kumari, J. Nayak, and A. N. Shetty, “3-Methyl-4-amino-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazole as corrosion inhibitor for 6061/Al-15(Vol-%) Sic (p) composite on 0.5M sodium hydroxide solution,” Journal of Material Environmental Science, vol. 4, pp. 387–402, 2011.
- R. Li, X. Y. Li, J. Pang et al., “Passivation behaviour of Al88Fe6La6 glassy alloy in NaOH and H2SO4solutions,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 8, pp. 2983–2995, 2013.
- I. C. Madufor, U. E. Itodoh, M. U. Obidiegwu, and M. S. Nwakaudu, “Inhibition of aluminium corrosion in acidic medium by chrysophyllum albidum (African star apple) fruit extract,” Journal of Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 16–23, 2012.
- O. K. Abiola, N. C. Oforka, A. O. Ifelebuegu, T. M. Fasina, and A. I. Babatunde, “Effect of diphenyl thiocarbazone and diphenylcarbazone on acid corrosion of aluminium in HCl solution. Part 1,” Journal of Scientific Research and Development, vol. 11, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- P. D. Reena Kumari, J. Nayak, and A. Nityananda Shetty, “3-ethyl-4-amino-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazole as corrosion inhibitor for 6061-alloy in sodium hydroxide solution,” Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 445–462, 2011.
- I. O. Arukalam and M. U. Obidiegwu, “The inhibition of aluminium corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution by hydroxyethyl cellulose,” Academic Research International, vol. 1, pp. 484–491, 2011.
- A. P. I. Popoola, O. S. I. Fayomi, and M. Abdulwahab, “Degradation behaviour of aluminium in 2M HCl/HNO3 in the presence of arachis hypogeae natural oil,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 7, pp. 5817–5827, 2012.
- I. B. Obot and N. O. Obi-Egbedi, “Fluconazole as an inhibitor for aluminium corrosion in 0.1 M HCl,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 330, no. 2-3, pp. 207–212, 2008.
- S. J. García, T. H. Muster, Ö. Özkanat et al., “The influence of pH on corrosion inhibitor selection for 2024-T3 aluminium alloy assessed by high-throughput multielectrode and potentiodynamic testing,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 2457–2465, 2010.
- S. A. Umoren and M. M. Solomon, “Effect of halide ions additives on the corrosion inhibition of aluminum in HCl by polyacrylamide,” The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, vol. 35, pp. 115–129, 2010.
- M. A. Amin, S. S. Abd El Rehim, and A. S. El-Lithy, “Pitting and pitting control of Al in gluconic acid solutions—polarization, chronoamperometry and morphological studies,” Corrosion Science, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 3099–3108, 2010.
- O. Sanni, C. A. Loto, and A. P. I. Popoola, “Electrochemical assessment of zinc gluconate as inhibitor on mild steel in a saline environment,” Research on Chemical Intermediates, 2013.
- R. Touir, M. Cenoui, M. El Bakri, and M. Ebn Touhami, “Sodium gluconate as corrosion and scale inhibitor of ordinary steel in simulated cooling water,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1530–1537, 2008.
- F. Ivusic, O. Lahodny-Sarc, and V. Alar, “Corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in various water types by zinc gluconate,” Material, vol. 44, pp. 319–329, 2013.
- O. Lahodny-Šarc and S. Popov, “Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in sodium gluconate-borate solutions,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 537–547, 1988.
- S. A. M. Refaey, “Passivation and pitting corrosion of tin in gluconate solutions and the effect of halide ions,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 503–507.
- A. Singh, A. K. Singh, and M. A. Quraishi, “Dapsone: a novel corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid media,” The Open Electrochemistry Journal, vol. 2, pp. 43–51, 2010.
- E. W. Abel, “The literature of inorganic chemistry,” in Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry II, J. C. Bailar, Ed., Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1965.
- R. Rosliza, “Improvement of corrosion resistance of aluminium alloy by natural products,” in Corrosion Resistance, H. Shih, Ed., pp. 377–395, InTech, 2012.
- A. Yaǧan, N. Ö. Pekmez, and A. Yildiz, “Corrosion inhibition by poly(N-ethylaniline) coatings of mild steel in aqueous acidic solutions,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 314–318, 2006.
- I. Langmuir, “The constitution and fundamental properties of solids and liquids. Part I. Solids,” The Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 2221–2295, 1916.