- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 648527, 6 pages
An Experimental Simulation to Validate FEM to Predict Transverse Young’s Modulus of FRP Composites
1Mechanical Engineering Department, DVR & Dr. HS MIC College of Technology, Kanchikacherla, India
2Mechanical Engineering Department, GITAM University, Visakhapatnam, India
3Mechanical Engineering Department, V. R. Siddhartha Engineering College, Vijayawada, India
4Mechanical Engineering Department, K L University, Vijayawada, India
Received 29 May 2013; Accepted 23 September 2013
Academic Editor: Steven Suib
Copyright © 2013 V. S. Sai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. M. Daniel and O. Ishai, Engineering Mechanics of Composite Materials, Oxford University Press, 1994.
- R. M. Jones, Mechanics of Composite Materisls, Taylor and Francis, 1999.
- A. K. Kaw, Mechanics of Composite Materials, CRC Press, 1997.
- E. Jacquet, F. Trivaudey, and D. Varchon, “Calculation of the transverse modulus of a unidirectional composite material and of the modulus of an aggregate: application of the rule of mixtures,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 345–350, 2000.
- J. C. Halpin and J. L. Kardos, “The Halpin-Tsai equations: a review,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 344–352, 1976.
- L. E. Neilson, “Generalized equation for the elastic moduli of composite materials,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 4626–4627, 1970.
- T. J. Hirsch, “Modulus of elasticity of concrete affected by elastic moduli of cement paste matrix and aggregate,” ACI Journal, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 427–452, 1962.
- G. Kalaprasad, K. Joseph, S. Thomas, and C. Pavithran, “Theoretical modelling of tensile properties of short sisal fibre-reinforced low-density polyethylene composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 32, no. 16, pp. 4261–4267, 1997.
- A. B. D. Morais, “Transverse moduli of continuous-fibre-reinforced polymers,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 997–1002, 2000.
- H.-Z. Shan and T.-W. Chou, “Transverse elastic moduli of unidirectional fiber composites with fiber/matrix interfacial debonding,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 383–391, 1995.
- S. Mistou, M. Karama, R. EL Guerjouma, D. Ducret, J. P. Faye, and B. Lorrain, “Comparative study on the determination of elastic properties of composite materials by tensile tests and ultra sound measurement,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 34, no. 20, pp. 1696–1709, 2000.
- L. Stagni, “Effective transverse elastic moduli of a composite reinforced with multilayered hollow-cored fibers,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1729–1734, 2001.
- M. Z. Khelifa, M. S. Abdullateef, and H. M. Al-Shukri, “Mechanical properties comparison of four models, failure theories study and estimation of thermal expansion coefficients for artificial E-glass polyester composite,” Engineering & Technical Journal, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 278–292, 2011.
- D. S. Li and M. R. Wisnom, “Finite element micromechanical modelling of unidirectional fibre-reinforced metal-matrix composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 545–563, 1994.
- P. S. Theocaris, G. E. Stavroulakis, and P. D. Panagiotopoulos, “Calculation of effective transverse elastic moduli of fiber-reinforced composites by numerical homogenization,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 573–586, 1997.
- Z. H. Karadeniz and D. Kumlutas, “A numerical study on the coefficients of thermal expansion of fiber reinforced composite materials,” Composite Structures, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2007.
- B. Pal and M. R. Haseebuddin, “Analytical estimation of elastic properties of polypropylene fiber matrix composite by finite element analysis,” Advances in Materials Physics and Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 23–30, 2012.
- A. S. Prasad, K. V. Ramana, V. B. K. Murthy, and G. S. Rao, “Role of Finite Element Method (FEM) in predicting transverse modulus of Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composites: a revelation,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 8, no. 25, pp. 1341–1349, 2013.