- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 671481, 8 pages
Effect of Environmental Degradation on Mechanical Properties of Kenaf/Polyethylene Terephthalate Fiber Reinforced Polyoxymethylene Hybrid Composite
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Bandar Seri Iskandar, Perak, 31750 Tronoh, Malaysia
Received 21 July 2013; Accepted 30 September 2013
Academic Editor: Yousuf El-Shekeil
Copyright © 2013 Mohamad Zaki Abdullah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Liang, S. Q. Shi, D. D. Nicholas, and L. Sites, “Accelerated weathering test of kenaf fiber unsaturated polyester sheet molding compounds,” Wood and Fiber Science, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2013.
- T. Lundin, S. M. Cramer, R. H. Falk, and C. Felton, “Accelerated weathering of natural fiber-filled polyethylene composites,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 547–555, 2004.
- K. Krasowska, J. Brzeska, M. Rutkowska et al., “Environmental degradation of ramie fibre reinforced biocomposites,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 937–945, 2010.
- A. Mohamed, H. Bhardwaj, A. Hamama, and C. Webber III, “Chemical composition of kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) seed oil,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 157–165, 1995.
- J. Sahari and S. M. Sapuan, “Natural fibre reinforced biodegradable polymer composites,” Reviews on Advanced Materials Science, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 166–174, 2012.
- G. Cristaldi, A. Latteri, G. Recca, and G. Cicala, “Composites based on natural fibre fabrics,” in Woven Fabric Engineering, pp. 317–342, InTech, 2010.
- S. Nunna, P. R. Chandra, S. Shrivastava, and A. K. Jalan, “A review on mechanical behavior of natural fiber based hybrid composites,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 759–769, 2012.
- S. Venkatachalam, S. G. Nayak, J. V. Labde, P. R. Gharal, K. Rao, and A. K. Kelkar, “Polyester,” Degradation and Recyclability of Poly (Ethylene Terephthalate), InTech, 2012.
- D. R. Fagerburg and H. Clauberg, “Photodegradation of poly (ethylene terephthalate) and poly (ethylene/1, 4-cyclohexylenedimethylene terephthalate),” in Modern Polyesters: Chemistry and Technology of Polyesters and Copolyesters, pp. 609–641, 2004.
- A. Pegoretti and A. Penati, “Recycled poly(ethylene terephthalate) and its short glass fibres composites: effects of hygrothermal aging on the thermo-mechanical behaviour,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 23, pp. 7995–8004, 2004.
- Y. W. Leong, M. B. Abu Bakar, Z. A. Mohd Ishak, and A. Ariffin, “Characterization of talc/calcium carbonate filled polypropylene hybrid composites weathered in a natural environment,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 411–422, 2004.
- X. Lu, M. Q. Zhang, M. Z. Rong, D. L. Yue, and G. C. Yang, “Environmental degradability of self-reinforced composites made from sisal,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 1301–1310, 2004.
- B. N. Dash, A. K. Rana, H. K. Mishra, S. K. Nayak, and S. S. Tripathy, “Novel low-cost jute-polyester composites. III. Weathering and thermal behavior,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 78, no. 9, pp. 1671–1679, 2000.
- L. M. Matuana, D. P. Kamdem, and J. Zhang, “Photoaging and stabilization of rigid PVC/wood-fiber composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1943–1950, 2001.
- Y. A. El-Shekeil, M. S. Salit, K. Abdan, and E. S. Zainudin, “Development of a new kenaf bast fiber-reinforced thermoplastic polyurethane composite,” BioResources, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 4662–4672, 2011.
- J. Hodgkinson, Ed., Mechanical Testing of Advanced Fibre Composites, Woodhead Publishing, 2000.
- N.-J. Lee and J. Jang, “Effect of fibre content on the mechanical properties of glass fibre mat/polypropylene composites,” Composites Part A, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 815–822, 1999.
- N. Boualem and Z. Sereir, “Accelerated aging of unidirectional hybrid composites under the long-term elevated temperature and moisture concentration,” Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 2011.
- A. Panigrahi, Characterization of hybrid FRP composite with hydrothermal exposure under varied ambient conditions [Doctoral dissertation], 2009.
- Y. Dan-mallam, M. Z. Abdullah, and P. S. Megat Yusoff, “Impact strength, microstructure, and water absorption properties of kenaf/polyethylene terephthalate (PET) fiber-reinforced polyoxymethylene (POM) hybrid composites,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 28, no. 16, pp. 2142–2146, 2013.
- H. K. Webb, J. Arnott, R. J. Crawford, and E. P. Ivanova, “Plastic degradation and its environmental implications with special reference to poly (ethylene terephthalate),” Polymers, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2012.
- Y. Dan-mallam, M. Z. Abdullah, and P. S. M. M. Yusoff, “Mechanical properties of recycled kenaf/polyethylene terephthalate (PET) fiber reinforced polyoxymethylene (POM) hybrid composite,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2013.
- G. Cicala, G. Cristaldi, G. Recca, and A. Latteri, “Composites based on natural fiber fabrics,” in Woven Fabric Engineering, P. D. Dubrovski, Ed., pp. 978–953, InTech, 2010.
- T. H. Nam, S. Ogihara, N. H. Tung, and S. Kobayashi, “Effect of alkali treatment on interfacial and mechanical properties of coir fiber reinforced poly(butylene succinate) biodegradable composites,” Composites Part B, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1648–1656, 2011.
- A. Le Duigou, P. Davies, and C. Baley, “Interfacial bonding of Flax fibre/Poly(l-lactide) bio-composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 231–239, 2010.
- C. L. Beyler and M. M. Hirschler, “Thermal decomposition of polymers,” in SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering, vol. 2, 2002.
- S. Lüftl, V.-M. Archodoulaki, and S. Seidler, “Thermal-oxidative induced degradation behaviour of polyoxymethylene (POM) copolymer detected by TGA/MS,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 464–471, 2006.
- G. C. Furneaux, K. J. Ledbury, and A. Davis, “Photo-oxidation of thick polymer samples-Part I: the variation of photo-oxidation with depth in naturally and artificially weathered low density polyethylene,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 431–442, 1981.
- G. E. Schoolenberg and P. Vink, “Ultra-violet degradation of polypropylene: 1. Degradation profile and thickness of the embrittled surface layer,” Polymer, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 432–437, 1991.
- Y. Dan-Mallam, M. Z. Abdullah, and P. S. Megat Yusoff, “Predicting the tensile properties of woven kenaf/PET reinforced POM hybrid laminate composite,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 6–13, 2012.
- K. Yamada-Onodera, H. Mukumoto, Y. Katsuyaya, A. Saiganji, and Y. Tani, “Degradation of polyethylene by a fungus, Penicillium simplicissimum YK,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 323–327, 2001.
- S. Bonhomme, A. Cuer, A.-M. Delort, J. Lemaire, M. Sancelme, and G. Scott, “Environmental biodegradation of polyethylene,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 441–452, 2003.
- Y. Zheng, E. K. Yanful, and A. S. Bassi, “A review of plastic waste biodegradation,” Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 243–250, 2005.
- R.-J. Müller, I. Kleeberg, and W.-D. Deckwer, “Biodegradation of polyesters containing aromatic constituents,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 87–95, 2001.
- K. Renken, D. M. Mchaina, and E. K. Yanful, “Geosynthetics research and applications in the mining and mineral processing environment,” in North American Geosynthetic Society (NAGS)-Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) Conference, pp. 14–16, December 2005.