- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 683041, 17 pages
Electromechanical Characterization and Locomotion Control of IPMC BioMicroRobot
Applied Sciences Department, REPARTI Center, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi, Chicoutimi, QC, Canada G7H 2B1
Received 22 June 2013; Accepted 6 September 2013
Academic Editor: Kean Aw
Copyright © 2013 Martin J.-D. Otis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Bourjault and N. Chaillet, La Microrobotique, Hermes Sciences Publication, Paris, France, 2002.
- K. E. Drexler, Engines of Creation: The Coming Aera of Nanotechnology, Anchor Press/Doubleday, Garden City, NY, USA, 1990.
- A. Bonvilain and N. Chaillet, “Fabrication and experiment of microlegs for an insect-like microrobot,” in Microrobotics and Microassembly III, vol. 4568 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 163–174, Boston, Mass, USA, October 2001.
- J. Enderle, S. Blanchard, and J. Bronzino, Introduction to Biomedical Engineering, Academic Press, San Diago, Calif, USA, 1999.
- S. Guo, L. Shi, N. Xiao, and K. Asaka, “A biomimetic underwater microrobot with multifunctional locomotion,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 1472–1483, 2012.
- K. K. Ahna, D. Q. Truong, D. N. C. Nam, J. I. Yoon, and S. Yokotac, “Position control of ionic polymer metal composite actuator using quantitative feedback theory,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 204–212, 2010.
- L. Shi, S. Guo, and K. Asaka, “Modeling and experiments of IPMC actuators for the position precision of underwater legged microrobots,” in Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics, pp. 420–425, Zhengzhou, China, August 2012.
- M. Vahabi, E. Mehdizadeh, M. Kabganian, and F. Barazandeh, “Modelling of a novel in-pipe microrobot design with IPMC legs,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers I, vol. 225, no. 1, pp. 63–73, 2011.
- S. Martel, A. Saraswat, and I. Hunter, “Fundamentals of piezo-ceramic actuation for micrometer and sub-micrometer motions for the NanoWalker robot,” in Microrobotics and Microassembly II, vol. 4194 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 82–93, Boston, Mass, USA, November 2000.
- M. Otis, M. Jarry, R. Bernier, R. Fontaine, H. Ménard, and P. Masson, “3D Modelization of an hexapod BioMicroRobot propulsion system with IPMC actuators,” in Proceeding of the ReSMiQ's 1st Northeast Workshop on Circuits and Systems (NEWCAS '2003), Montreal, Canada, June 2003.
- M. Otis, R. Bernier, Y. Pasco et al., “Development of an hexapod BioMicRorobot with nafion-Pt IPMC microlegs,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 3423–3426, Cancun, Mexico, September 2003.
- K. Onishi, S. Sewa, K. Asaka, N. Fujiwara, and K. Oguro, “The effects of counter ions on characterization and performance of a solid polymer electrolyte actuator,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1233–1241, 2001.
- K. Onishi, S. Sewa, K. Asaka, N. Fujiwara, and K. Oguro, “Morphology of electrodes and bending response of the polymer electrolyte actuator,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 737–743, 2000.
- M. Shahinpoor and K. J. Kim, “Effect of surface-electrode resistance on the performance of ionic polymer-metal composite (IPMC) artificial muscles,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 543–551, 2000.
- Y. Bar-Cohen, Electroactive Polymer (EAP) Actuators as Artificial Muscles, Reality, Potential, and Challenges, SPIE Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- G. Xie and T. Okada, “Pumping effects in water movement accompanying cation transport across nafion 117 membranes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1569–1571, 1996.
- R. Kanno, S. Tadokoro, T. Takamori, and K. Oguro, “3-dimensional dynamic model of ionic conducting polymer gel film (ICPF) actuator,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 3, pp. 2179–2184, Beijing, China, October 1996.
- S. Guo, T. Nakamura, and T. Fukuda, “Micro active guide wire catheter system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT '96), pp. 517–521, Shanghai, China, December 1996.
- S. B. Brummer and M. J. Turner, “Electrical stimulation with Pt electrodes. II. Estimation of maximum surface redox (theoretical non-gassing) limits,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 440–443, 1977.
- M. Shahinpoor and M. Mojarrad, “Soft actuators and artificial muscles,” US patent 6109852, 2000.
- D. T. Sawyer, A. Sobkowiak, and J. L. Roberts, Electrochemistry for Chimists, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1995.
- X. Bao, Y. Bar-Cohen, and S. Lih, “Measurements and macro models of ionomeric polymer-metal composites (IPMC),” in Smart Structures and Materials 2002: Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD), vol. 4695 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 220–227, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2002.
- S. R. Taylor and E. Gileadi, “Physical interpretation of the Warburg impedance,” Corrosion, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 664–671, 1995.
- M. Shahinpoor and K. J. Kim, “Ionic polymer-metal composites: I. Fundamentals,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 819–833, 2001.
- Y. Bar-Cohen, S. Sherrit, and S. S. Lih, “Characterization of the electromechanical properties of EAP materials,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2001: Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices, vol. 4329 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 319–327, Newport Beach, Calif, USA, March 2001.
- M. Jarry, M. Otis, H. Semmaoui, G. Haché, and R. Fontaine, “Core Control Circuit for Submillimiterrobot,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 3427–3430, Cancun, Mexico, September 2003.
- K. Mallavarapu and D. J. Leo, “Feedback control of the bending response of ionic polymer actuators,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 143–155, 2001.
- D. J. Gorman, Free Vibration Analysis of Beams and Shafts, John Wiley & Sons, Toronto, Canada, 1995.
- R. J. Gilbert, Vibration des structures—Interaction avec les fluides—Sources d’excitations aléatoires, Éditions Eyrolles, Paris, France, 1998.
- S. Nemat-Nasser and Y. Wu, “Comparative experimental study of ionic polymer-metal composites with different backbone ionomers and in various cation forms,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 5255–5267, 2003.
- S. Sewa, K. Onishi, K. Asaka, N. Fujiwara, and K. Oguro, “Polymer actuator driven by ion current at low voltage, applied to catheter system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 11th Annual International Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS '98), pp. 148–153, Heidelberg, Germany, January 1998.
- N. Fujiwara, K. Asaka, Y. Nishimura, K. Oguro, and E. Torikai, “Preparation of gold-solid polymer electrolyte composites as electric stimuli-responsive materials,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1750–1754, 2000.
- K. Asaka, N. Fujiwara, K. Oguro, K. Onishi, and S. Sewa, “State of water and ionic conductivity of solid polymer electrolyte membranes in relation to polymer actuators,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 505, no. 1-2, pp. 24–32, 2001.
- A. L. Rollet, G. Gebel, J. P. Simonin, and P. Turq, “A SANS determination of the influence of external conditions on the nanostructure of nafion membrane,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 548–558, 2001.
- K. Oguro, N. Fujiwara, K. Asaka, K. Onishi, and S. Sewa, “Polymer electrolyte actuator with gold electrodes,” in Smart Structures and Materials 1999: Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices, vol. 3669 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 64–71, Newport Beach, Calif, USA, March 1999.
- J. G. Webster, Medical Instrumentation Application and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Toronto, Canada, 3rd edition, 1998.
- S. B. Brummer and L. S. Robblee, “Criteria for selecting electrodes for electrical stimulation: theoretical and practical considerations,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 405, pp. 159–171, 1983.
- J. M. Winter, Biomechanics and Neural Control of Posture and Movement, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- H. Cruse, T. Kindermann, M. Schumm, J. Dean, and J. Schmitz, “Walknet—a biologically inspired network to control six-legged walking,” Neural Networks, vol. 11, no. 7-8, pp. 1435–1447, 1998.
- P. Arena, H. Cruse, L. Fortuna, M. Frasca, and L. Patané, “A cellular nonlinear approach to decentralized locomotion control of the stick insect,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. IV-165–IV-168, May 2002.
- H. Cruse, “What mechanisms coordinate leg movement in walking arthropods?” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 1990.
- J. Gray, Animal Locomotion, Great Britain, London and Beccles, edited by R. Carrington, The World Naturalist, 1968.
- L. H. Ting, R. Blickhan, and R. J. Full, “Dynamic and static stability in hexapedal runners,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 197, pp. 251–269, 1994.
- D. L. Jindrich and R. J. Full, “Many-legged maneuverability: dynamics of turning in hexapods,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 202, no. 12, pp. 1603–1623, 1999.
- P. S. Stein, “Motor systems, with specific reference to the control of locomotion,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 1, pp. 61–81, 1978.
- K. G. Pearson, “Common principles of motor control in vertebrates and invertebrates,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 16, pp. 265–297, 1993.
- P. Arena and L. Fortuna, “Reaction-diffusion CNN algorithms to generate and control artificial locomotion,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 253–260, 1999.
- P. Arena, L. Fortuna, and M. Branciforte, “Realization of a reaction-diffusion CNN algorithm for locomotion control in a hexapode robot,” Journal of VLSI Signal Processing Systems for Signal, Image, and Video Technology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 267–280, 1999.
- P. Arena, L. Fortuna, M. Frasca, and C. Marchese, “Multi-Template Approach to artificial locomotion control,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS '01), vol. 2, pp. 37–40, May 2001.
- L. O. Chua and L. Yang, “Cellular neural networks: theory,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1257–1272, 1988.
- A. Rodriguez-Vazquez, S. Espejo, R. Dominguez-Castro, J. L. Huertas, and E. Sanchez-Sinencio, “Current-mode techniques for the implementation of continuous- and discrete-time cellular neural networks,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 132–146, 1993.
- G. F. D. Betta, S. Graffi, Z. M. Kovacs, and G. Masetti, “CMOS implementation of an analogically programmable cellular neural network,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 206–215, 1993.
- S. Park, J. Lim, and S. Chae, “Digital implementation of discrete-time cellular neural networks with distributed arithmetic,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 2, pp. 959–963, June 1997.
- P. Arena, L. Fortuna, and M. Frasca, “Attitude control in walking hexapod robots: an analogic spatio-temporal approach,” International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, vol. 30, no. 2-3, pp. 349–362, 2002.