- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 709495, 18 pages
Numerical Tools for Composite Woven Fabric Preforming
GAMMA3-INRIA Project Team, Charles Delaunay Institute, University of Technology of Troyes, 12 Rue Marie-Curie, BP 2060, 10010 Troyes, France
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: Philip Harrison
Copyright © 2013 Abel Cherouat and Houman Bourouchaki. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Bannister, “Challenges for composites into the next millennium—a reinforcement perspective,” Composites A, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 901–910, 2001.
- M. Hou, L. Ye, and Y. W. Mai, “Manufacturing process and mechanical properties of thermoplastic composite components,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 63, pp. 334–338, 1997.
- F. Trochu, E. Ruiz, V. Achim, and S. Soukane, “Advanced numerical simulation of liquid composite molding for process analysis and optimization,” Composites A, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 890–902, 2006.
- G. Marsh, “Composites get in deep with new-generation engine,” Reinforced Plastics, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 26–29, 2006.
- P. Boisse, A. Cherouat, J. C. Gelin, and H. Sabhi, “Experimental study and finite element simulation of a glass fiber fabric shaping process,” Polymer Composites, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 83–95, 1995.
- A. G. Prodromou, S. V. Lomov, and I. Verpoest, “The method of cells and the mechanical properties of textile composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1290–1299, 2011.
- S. Kawabata, M. Niwa, and H. Kawai, “The finite-deformation theory of plain-weave fabrics. III. The shear-deformation theory,” Journal of the Textile Institute, vol. 64, pp. 21–83, 1973.
- T. C. Lim, S. Ramakrishna, and H. M. Shang, “Optimization of the formability of knitted fabric composite sheet by means of combined deep drawing and stretch forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 89-90, pp. 99–103, 1999.
- L. Liu, J. Chen, X. Li, and J. Sherwood, “Two-dimensional macro-mechanics shear models of woven fabrics,” Composites A, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 105–114, 2005.
- O. Rozant, P. E. Bourban, and J. A. E. Månson, “Drapability of dry textile fabrics for stampable thermoplastic preforms,” Composites A, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1167–1177, 2000.
- P. Potluri, I. Parlak, R. Ramgulam, and T. V. Sagar, “Analysis of tow deformations in textile preforms subjected to forming forces,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 297–305, 2006.
- A. Cherouat, J. C. Gelin, P. Boisse, and H. Sabhi, “Numerical modeling of glass woven fabric deep-drawing using finite element method,” European Journal of Computational Mechanics, vol. 4, pp. 159–182, 1995.
- A. Cherouat and J. L. Billoët, “Mechanical and numerical modelling of composite manufacturing processes deep-drawing and laying-up of thin pre-impregnated woven fabrics,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 118, no. 1–3, pp. 460–471, 2001.
- P. Boisse, K. Buet, A. Gasser, and J. Launay, “Meso/macro-mechanical behaviour of textile reinforcements for thin composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 395–401, 2001.
- A. El Hami, B. Radi, and A. Cherouat, “Treatment of the composite fabric's shaping using a Lagrangian formulation,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 49, no. 7-8, pp. 1337–1349, 2009.
- M. K. Warby, J. R. Whiteman, W. G. Jiang, P. Warwick, and T. Wright, “Finite element simulation of thermoforming processes for polymer sheets,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 61, no. 3–6, pp. 209–218, 2003.
- T. C. Lim and S. Ramakrishna, “Modelling of composite sheet forming: a review,” Composites A, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 515–537, 2002.
- A. Cherouat, H. Borouchaki, and J. L. Billoët, “Geometrical and mechanical draping of composite fabric,” European Journal of Computational Mechanics, vol. 14, pp. 693–707, 2005.
- C. Mark and H. M. Taylor, “The fitting of woven cloth to surfaces,” Journal of the Textile Institute, vol. 47, pp. 477–488, 1956.
- F. Van Der Ween, “Algorithms for draping fabrics on doubly-curved surfaces,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1415–1426, 1991.
- A. C. Long and C. D. Rudd, “Simulation of reinforcement deformation during the production of preforms for liquid moulding processes,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers B, vol. 208, no. 4, pp. 269–278, 1994.
- S. G. Hancock and K. D. Potter, “Inverse drape modelling—an investigation of the set of shapes that can be formed from continuous aligned woven fibre reinforcements,” Composites A, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 947–953, 2005.
- K. Vanclooster, S. V. Lomov, and I. Verpoest, “Experimental validation of forming simulations of fabric reinforced polymers using an unsymmetrical mould configuration,” Composites A, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 530–539, 2009.
- P. Potluri, S. Sharma, and R. Ramgulam, “Comprehensive drape modelling for moulding 3D textile preforms,” Composites A, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1415–1424, 2001.
- B. Zhu, T. X. Yu, H. Zhang, and X. M. Tao, “Experimental investigation of formability of commingled woven composite preform in stamping operation,” Composites B, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 289–295, 2011.
- P. Xue, X. Peng, and J. Cao, “A non-orthogonal constitutive model for characterizing woven composites,” Composites A, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 183–193, 2003.
- R. H. W. Ten Thije, R. Akkerman, and J. Huetink, “Large deformation simulation of anisotropic material using an updated Langrangian finite element method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 196, no. 33–34, pp. 3141–3150, 2007.
- S. B. Sharma and M. P. F. Sutcliffe, “A simplified finite element model for draping of woven material,” Composites A, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 637–643, 2004.
- V. Frishfelds, T. S. Lundström, and A. Jakovics, “Bubble motion through non-crimp fabrics during composites manufacturing,” Composites A, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 243–251, 2008.
- J. P. Fan, C. Y. Tang, C. P. Tsui, L. C. Chan, and T. C. Lee, “3D finite element simulation of deep drawing with damage development,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1035–1044, 2006.
- D. Jauffrès, C. D. Morris, J. A. Sherwood, and J. Chen, “Simulation of the thermostamping of woven composites: mesoscopic modelling using explicit FEA codes,” International Journal of Material Forming, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 173–176, 2009.
- N. Kenkare and T. May-Plumlee, “Evaluation of drape characteristics in fabrics,” International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 109–123, 2005.
- N. Kenkare and T. May-Plumlee, “Fabric drape measurement: a modified method using digital image processing,” Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, vol. 4, no. 3, 2005.
- L. Vangheluwe and P. Kiekens, “Time dependence of the drape coefficient of fabrics,” International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 5–8, 1993.
- W. R. Yu, M. Zampaloni, F. Pourboghrat, K. Chung, and T. J. Kang, “Analysis of flexible bending behavior of woven preform using non-orthogonal constitutive equation,” Composites A, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 839–850, 2005.
- A. Cherouat, H. Borouchaki, and L. Giraud-Moreau, “Mechanical and geometrical approaches applied to composite fabric forming,” International Journal of Material Forming, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 1189–1204, 2010.
- O. K. Bergsma and J. Huisman, “Deep Drawing of fabric reinforced thermoplastic,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer Aided Design in Composite Material Technology, pp. 323–333, 1988.
- B. Gommers, I. Verpoest, and P. Van Houtte, “Modelling the elastic properties of knitted-fabric-reinforced composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 685–694, 1996.
- Y. Luo and I. Verpoest, “Biaxial tension and ultimate deformation of knitted fabric reinforcements,” Composites A, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 197–203, 2002.
- K. A. Padmanabhan, “Metal forming at very low strain rates,” in Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, pp. 5384–5389, 2008.
- A. Cherouat and H. Borouchaki, “Present state of the art of composite fabric forming,” Geometrical and Mechanical Approaches, Materials, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1835–1857, 2009.
- R. H. W. ten Thije, R. Akkerman, and J. Huétink, “Large deformation simulation of anisotropic material using an updated Lagrangian finite element method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 196, no. 33-34, pp. 3141–3150, 2007.
- Y. F. Dafalias, “Corotational rates for kinematic hardening at large plastic deformations,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 50, pp. 561–565, 1983.
- J. K. Dienes, “On the analysis of rotation and stress rate in deforming bodies,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 217–232, 1979.