- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 824274, 6 pages
Effect of Chemical Treatment on Physical, Mechanical and Thermal Properties of Ladies Finger Natural Fiber
1Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology,
Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
2Department of Polymer Engineering, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 81310 Skudai, Johor, Malaysia
Received 2 May 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Aiguo Xu
Copyright © 2013 S. I. Hossain et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H.-S. Yang, H.-J. Kim, J. Son, H.-J. Park, B.-J. Lee, and T.-S. Hwang, “Rice-husk flour filled polypropylene composites; mechanical and morphological study,” Composite Structures, vol. 63, no. 3-4, pp. 305–312, 2004.
- B. C. Mitra, R. K. Basak, and M. Sarkar, “Studies on jute-reinforced composites, its limitations, and some solutions through chemical modifications of fibers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1093–1100, 1998.
- A. N. Netravali, Natural Fibers, Plastics and Composites, Kluwer Academic Publisher, 2004.
- A. Kelly, “Composite materials,” Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 147–154, 2001.
- P. Wambua, J. Ivens, and I. Verpoest, “Natural fibres: can they replace glass in fibre reinforced plastics?” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1259–1264, 2003.
- A. C. N. Singleton, C. A. Baillie, P. W. R. Beaumont, and T. Peijs, “On the mechanical properties, deformation and fracture of a natural fibre/recycled polymer composite,” Composites Part B, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 519–526, 2003.
- M. M. Thwe and K. Liao, “Durability of bamboo-glass fiber reinforced polymer matrix hybrid composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 3-4, pp. 375–387, 2003.
- E. M. F. Aquino, L. P. S. Sarmento, W. Oliveira, and R. V. Silva, “Moisture effect on degradation of jute/glass hybrid composites,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 219–233, 2007.
- M. M. Thwe and K. Liao, “Effects of environmental aging on the mechanical properties of bamboo-glass fiber reinforced polymer matrix hybrid composites,” Composites A, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 2002.
- S. Joseph, M. S. Sreekala, Z. Oommen, P. Koshy, and S. Thomas, “A comparison of the mechanical properties of phenol formaldehyde composites reinforced with banana fibres and glass fibres,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 62, no. 14, pp. 1857–1868, 2002.
- G. Kalaprasad, K. Joseph, and S. Thomas, “Influence of short glass fiber addition on the mechanical properties of sisal reinforced low density polyethylene composites,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 509–527, 1997.
- J. Gu, J. Dang, W. Geng, and Q. Zhangh, “Surface modification of HMPBO fibers by silane coupling agent of KH-560 treatment assisted by ultrasonic vibration,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 979–984, 2012.
- M. R. Ishak, Z. Leman, S. M. Sapuan, M. Z. A. Rahman, and U. M. K. Anwar, “Impregnation modification of sugar palm fibres with phenol formaldehyde and unsaturated polyester,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 250–257, 2013.
- L. Liu, L. Cheng, L. Huang, and J. Yu, “Enzymatic treatment of mechanochemical modified natural bamboo fibers,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 600–605, 2012.
- M. M. Haque, M. Hasan, M. S. Islam, and M. E. Ali, “Physico-mechanical properties of chemically treated palm and coir fiber reinforced polypropylene composites,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 20, pp. 4903–4906, 2009.
- M. R. Rahman, M. M. Huque, M. N. Islam, and M. Hasan, “Mechanical properties of polypropylene composites reinforced with chemically treated abaca,” Composites A, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 511–517, 2009.
- M. R. Rahman, M. Hasan, M. M. Huque, and M. N. Islam, “Physico-mechanical properties of jute fiber reinforced polypropylene composites,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 445–455, 2010.
- M. Haque, R. Rahman, N. Islam, M. Huque, and M. Hasan, “Mechanical properties of polypropylene composites reinforced with chemically treated coir and abaca fiber,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 29, no. 15, pp. 2253–2261, 2010.
- S. Biswas, Characterization and Performance Analysis of Natural Fibers as Reinforcement in Polymer Composite [M.Phil thesis], Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh, 2010.
- S. Biswas, Q. Ahsan, I. Verpoest, and M. Hasan, “Effect of span length on the tensile properties of natural fibers,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 264-265, pp. 445–450, 2011.
- S. S. Mir, S. M. N. Hasan, M. J. Hossain, and M. Hasan, “Chemical modification effect on the mechanical properties of coir fiber,” Engineering Journal, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 73–83, 2012.
- A. K. Bledzki and J. Gassan, “Composites reinforced with cellulose based fibres,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 221–274, 1999.
- P. V. Joseph, K. Joseph, S. Thomas et al., “The thermal and crystallisation studies of short sisal fibre reinforced polypropylene composites,” Composites A, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 253–266, 2003.
- N. Nafsin, Manufacturing and Characterization of Coir Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composite [B.Sc. thesis], University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh, 2011.