- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 869075, 10 pages
Degradation in Seawater of Structural Adhesives for Hybrid Fibre-Metal Laminated Materials
1Center for Durability and Structural Integrity of Materials (CISDEM-UPM/CSIC), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, C/Ronda Valencia, 3-28015 Madrid, Spain
2Research Group on Degradation and Corrosion of Materials, Universidad de Cantabria, c/Gamazo, 1-39004 Santander, Spain
Received 16 November 2012; Revised 15 January 2013; Accepted 22 January 2013
Academic Editor: Luigi Nicolais
Copyright © 2013 Cristina Alia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Herreros, J. C. Suárez, P. Pinilla, S. Miguel, F. López, and I. D. de Ulzurrun, “MaLECoN: a new laminated fiber-metal hybrid for shipbuilding,” in Proceedings of the 47th Naval Engineering and Maritime Industry Congress, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 2008.
- M. Fernando, W. W. Harjoprayitbi, and A. J. Kinloch, “A fracture mechanics study of the influence of moisture on the fatigue behaviour of adhesively bonded aluminium-alloy joints,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 1996.
- J. Sargent, “Durability studies for aerospace applications using peel and wedge tests,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 247–256, 2005.
- G. Doyle and R. A. Rethrick, “Environmental effects on the ageing of epoxy adhesive joints,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 77–90, 2009.
- T. Andersson and U. Stigh, “The stress-elongation relation for an adhesive layer loaded in peel using equilibrium of energetic forces,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 413–434, 2004.
- A. Sen, M. Bhattacharya, K. A. Stelson, and V. R. Voller, “Creep in injection molded starch/synthetic polymer blends,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 338, no. 1-2, pp. 60–69, 2002.
- J. D. Minford, “Comparative aluminium joint evaluations in varying saltwater exposure conditions,” The Journal of Adhesion, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 1985.
- C. Liljedahl, A. Crocombe, M. Wahab, and I. Ashcroft, “Modelling the environmental degradation of adhesively bonded aluminium and composite joints using a CZM approach,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 505–518, 2007.
- X. Buch and M. E. R. Shanahan, “Thermal and thermo-oxidative ageing of an epoxy adhesive,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 403–411, 2000.
- F. Ellyin and C. Rohrbacher, “Effect of aqueous environment and temperature on glass-fibre epoxy resin composites,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 19, no. 17, pp. 1405–1427, 2000.
- A. Aktas and I. Uzun, “Sea water effect on pinned-joint glass fibre composite materials,” Composite Structures, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 2008.
- C. Wood and W. L. Bradley, “Determination of the effect of seawater on the interfacial strength of an interlayer E-glass/graphite/epoxy composite by in situ observation of transverse cracking in an environmental SEM,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1033–1043, 1997.
- M. Rutkowska, K. Krasowska, A. Heimowska, I. Steinka, and H. Janik, “Degradation of polyurethanes in sea water,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 233–239, 2002.
- P. Davies and G. Evrard, “Accelerated ageing of polyurethanes for marine applications,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 1455–1464, 2007.
- V. Barron, M. Buggy, A. Mas, and F. Schue, “Durability of APC2/Polyurethane adhesive joints for biomedical applications,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 361–366, 2000.
- A. Kootsookos and A. P. Mouritz, “Seawater durability of glass- and carbon-polymer composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 10-11, pp. 1503–1511, 2004.
- M. R. Bowditch, “The durability of adhesive joints in the presence of water,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 73–79, 1996.
- J. Burns, P. S. Dubbelday, and R. Y. Ting, “Dynamic bulk modulus of various elastomers,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1187–1205, 1990.
- W. Possart, “Chemical structura formation and morphology in ultrathin polyurethane films on metals,” in Adhesion, Current Research and Applications, vol. 6, pp. 71–88, WILEY-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2005.
- P. Davies, F. Mazéas, and P. Casari, “Sea water aging of glass reinforced composites: shear behaviour and damage modelling,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 35, no. 15, pp. 1343–1372, 2001.
- J. Raghavan and M. Meshii, “Creep rupture of polymer composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 375–388, 1997.
- E. Woo, “Moisture-temperature equivalency in creep analysis of a heterogeneous-matrix carbon fibre/epoxy composite,” Composites, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 425–430, 1994.
- D. J. O'Brien, P. T. Mather, and S. R. White, “Viscoelastic properties of an epoxy resin during cure,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 883–904, 2001.
- J. C. Suárez, C. Alia, M. V. Biezma, P. Pinilla, and J. M. Arenas, “Long term ageing of adhesives for hybrid materials in seawater,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Adhesion Conference (EURADH '12), p. 44, Friedrichshafen, Germany, 2012.
- D. A. Dillard, Advances in Structural Adhesive Bonding, Woodhead, 2010.
- J. Crank and G. S. Park, Diffusion in Polymers, Academic Press, 1968.
- B. Yang, W. M. Huang, C. Li, and L. Li, “Effects of moisture on the thermomechanical properties of a polyurethane shape memory polymer,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1348–1356, 2006.
- N. V. Datla, M. Papini, J. Ulicny, B. Carlson, and J. K. Spelt, “The effects of test temperature and humidity on the mixed-mode fatigue behavior of a toughened adhesive aluminum joint,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 1125–1139, 2011.
- J. Högberg and U. Stigh, “Specimen proposals for mixed mode testing of adhesive layer,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 73, no. 16, pp. 2541–2556, 2006.
- J. C. Suárez, P. Pinilla, F. López, M. A. Herreros, and M. V. Biezma, “Mixed mode double cantilever beams test specimen for characterization of structural adhesive joints,” Anales De Mecánica De Fractura, vol. 27, p. 685, 2010.
- R. Torregrosa, S. Álvarez, and J. M. Martín, “Migration of low molecular weight moiety at rubber-polyurethane interface: an ATR-IR spectroscopy study,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 389–397, 2011.
- M. Bassyouni, S. A. Sherif, M. A. Sadek, and F. H. Ashour, “Synthesis and characterization of polyurethane—treated waste milled light bulbs composites,” Composites B, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 1439–1444, 2011.
- N. Jost and J. Karger-Kocsis, “On the curing of a vinylester-urethane hybrid resin,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1383–1389, 2001.