- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 898565, 13 pages
Characterization of Metal Oxide-Based Gas Nanosensors and Microsensors Fabricated via Local Anodic Oxidation Using Atomic Force Microscopy
1Divisão de Metrologia de Materiais, Instituto Nacional de Metrologia (INMETRO), Qualidade e Tecnologia, 25250-020 Duque de Caxias, RJ, Brazil
2Laboratório Nacional de Luz Síncrotron, Caixa Postal 6192, 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
3Departamento de Física, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 30123-970 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
4Instituto de Física, PPGMicro, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501-970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 27 May 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editor: Bin Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Bráulio S. Archanjo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Madou and S. R. Morrison, Chemical Sensing with Solid State Devices, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1989.
- E. Comini, V. Guidi, M. Ferroni, and G. Sberveglieri, “Detection of landfill gases by chemoresistive sensors based on titanium, molybdenum, tungsten oxides,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 4–10, 2005.
- A. K. Prasad and P. I. Gouma, “MoO3 and WO3 based thin film conductimetric sensors for automotive applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 38, no. 21, pp. 4347–4352, 2003.
- W. Göpel and K. D. Schierbaum, “SnO2 sensors: current status and future prospects,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 26, no. 1–3, pp. 1–12, 1995.
- N. Bârsan and U. Weimar, “Understanding the fundamental principles of metal oxide based gas sensors; the example of CO sensing with SnO2 sensors in the presence of humidity,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 15, no. 20, pp. R813–R839, 2003.
- N. Barsan and U. Weimar, “Conduction model of metal oxide gas sensors,” Journal of Electroceramics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 143–167, 2001.
- C. Imawan, F. Solzbacher, H. Steffes, and E. Obermeier, “Ti-modified NiO thin films for H2 gas sensors: effects of Ti-overlayer sputtering parameters,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 184–188, 2000.
- W.-T. Moon, K.-S. Lee, Y.-K. Jun, H.-S. Kim, and S.-H. Hong, “Orientation dependence of gas sensing properties of TiO2 films,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 123–127, 2006.
- Y.-K. Jun, H.-S. Kim, J.-H. Lee, and S.-H. Hong, “CO sensing performance in micro-arc oxidized TiO2 films for air quality control,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 2006.
- C. Garzella, E. Comini, E. Tempesti, C. Frigeri, and G. Sberveglieri, “TiO2 thin films by a novel sol-gel processing for gas sensor applications,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 68, no. 1–3, pp. 189–196, 2000.
- D. Manno, G. Micocci, R. Rella, A. Serra, A. Taurino, and A. Tepore, “Titanium oxide thin films for NH3 monitoring: structural and physical characterizations,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 54–59, 1997.
- Y. Shimizu, N. Matsunaga, T. Hyodo, and M. Egashira, “Improvement of SO2 sensing properties of WO3 by noble metal loading,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 77, no. 1-2, pp. 35–40, 2001.
- J. L. Solis, A. Hoel, L. B. Kish, C. G. Granqvist, S. Saukko, and V. Lantto, “Gas-sensing properties of nanocrystalline WO3 films made by advanced reactive gas deposition,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 1504–1508, 2001.
- M. S. Wagh, G. H. Jain, D. R. Patil, S. A. Patil, and L. A. Patil, “Modified zinc oxide thick film resistors as NH3 gas sensor,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 2006.
- H. Gong, J. Q. Hu, J. H. Wang, C. H. Ong, and F. R. Zhu, “Nano-crystalline Cu-doped ZnO thin film gas sensor for CO,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 247–251, 2006.
- H. Meixner, J. Gerblinger, U. Lampe, and M. Fleischer, “Thin-film gas sensors based on semiconducting metal oxides,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 23, no. 2-3, pp. 119–125, 1995.
- S. S. Sunu, E. Prabhu, V. Jayaraman, K. I. Gnanasekar, T. K. Seshagiri, and T. Gnanasekaran, “Electrical conductivity and gas sensing properties of MoO3,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 101, no. 1-2, pp. 161–174, 2004.
- M. Ferroni, V. Guidi, G. Martinelli, P. Nelli, M. Sacerdoti, and G. Sberveglieri, “Characterization of a molybdenum oxide sputtered thin film as a gas sensor,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 307, no. 1-2, pp. 148–151, 1997.
- S. S. Sunu, E. Prabhu, V. Jayaraman, K. I. Gnanasekar, and T. Gnanasekaran, “Gas sensing properties of PLD made MoO3 films,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 2003.
- I. Hotovy, J. Huran, P. Siciliano, S. Capone, L. Spiess, and V. Rehacek, “Enhancement of H2 sensing properties of NiO-based thin films with a Pt surface modification,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 103, no. 1-2, pp. 300–311, 2004.
- N. D. M. Sin, M. F. Kamel, R. I. Alip, Z. Mohamad, and M. Rusop, “The electrical characteristics of aluminium doped zinc oxide thin film for humidity sensor applications,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 974906, 5 pages, 2011.
- A. K. Prasad, D. J. Kubinski, and P. I. Gouma, “Comparison of sol-gel and ion beam deposited MoO3 thin film gas sensors for selective ammonia detection,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 93, no. 1–3, pp. 25–30, 2003.
- D. Zhang, Z. Liu, C. Li et al., “Detection of NO2 down to ppb levels using individual and multiple In2O3 nanowire devices,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1919–1924, 2004.
- A. Kolmakov, D. O. Klenov, Y. Lilach, S. Stemmer, and M. Moskovitst, “Enhanced gas sensing by individual SnO2 nanowires and nanobelts functionalized with Pd catalyst particles,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 667–673, 2005.
- V. V. Sysoev, B. K. Button, K. Wepsiec, S. Dmitriev, and A. Kolmakov, “Toward the nanoscopic “electronic nose”: hydrogen vs carbon monoxide discrimination with an array of individual metal oxide nano- and mesowire sensors,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1584–1588, 2006.
- I.-D. Kim, A. Rothschild, B. H. Lee, D. Y. Kim, S. M. Jo, and H. L. Tuller, “Ultrasensitive chemiresistors based on electrospun TiO2 nanofibers,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 2009–2013, 2006.
- F. Hernández-Ramírez, J. Rodríguez, O. Casals et al., “Characterization of metal-oxide nanosensors fabricated with focused ion beam (FIB),” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 118, no. 1-2, pp. 198–203, 2006.
- N. S. Ramgir, Y. Yang, and M. Zacharias, “Nanowire-based sensors,” Small, vol. 6, no. 16, pp. 1705–1722, 2010.
- J. Tamaki, A. Miyaji, J. Makinodan, S. Ogura, and S. Konishi, “Effect of micro-gap electrode on detection of dilute NO2 using WO3 thin film microsensors,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 108, no. 1-2, pp. 202–206, 2005.
- J. Tamaki, J. Niimi, S. Ogura, and S. Konishi, “Effect of micro-gap electrode on sensing properties to dilute chlorine gas of indium oxide thin film microsensors,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 353–358, 2006.
- J. Tamaki, Y. Nakataya, and S. Konishi, “Micro gap effect on dilute H2S sensing properties of SnO2 thin film microsensors,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 400–404, 2008.
- J. S. Fragala, R. R. Shile, and J. Haaheim, “Enabling the desktop nanofab with DPN pen and ink delivery systems,” MRS Proceedings, vol. 1037, 2007.
- J. A. Dagata, J. Schneir, H. H. Harary, C. J. Evans, M. T. Postek, and J. Bennett, “Modification of hydrogen-passivated silicon by a scanning tunneling microscope operating in air,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 56, no. 20, pp. 2001–2003, 1990.
- H. C. Day and D. R. Allee, “Selective area oxidation of silicon with a scanning force microscope,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 62, no. 21, pp. 2691–2693, 1993.
- E. S. Snow and P. M. Campbell, “AFM fabrication of sub-10-nanometer metal-oxide devices with in situ control of electrical properties,” Science, vol. 270, no. 5242, pp. 1639–1641, 1995.
- K. Matsumoto, M. Ishii, K. Segawa, Y. Oka, B. J. Vartanian, and J. S. Harris, “Room temperature operation of a single electron transistor made by the scanning tunneling microscope nanooxidation process for the TiOx/Ti system,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 34–36, 1996.
- A. Fuhrer, S. Lüscher, T. Ihn et al., “Energy spectra of quantum rings,” Nature, vol. 413, no. 6858, pp. 822–825, 2001.
- C. Delacour, J. Claudon, J.-P. Poizat et al., “Superconducting single photon detectors made by local oxidation with an atomic force microscope,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 19, Article ID 191116, 2007.
- P. F. Siles, B. S. Archanjo, D. L. Baptista et al., “Nanoscale lateral switchable rectifiers fabricated by local anodic oxidation,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 110, no. 2, Article ID 024511, 2011.
- Z. Li, M. Wu, T. Liu, C. Wu, Z. Jiao, and B. Zhao, “Preparation of TiO2 nanowire gas nanosensor by AFM anode oxidation,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 108, no. 10, pp. 1334–1337, 2008.
- B. S. Archanjo, G. V. Silveira, A.-M. B. Goncalves et al., “Fabrication of gas nanosensors and microsensors via local anodic oxidation,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 602–605, 2009.
- B. Huber, H. Gnaser, and C. Ziegler, “Electrical properties of nanocrystalline anatase TiO2 thin films with different crystallite size,” Surface Science, vol. 566-568, no. 1–3, pp. 419–424, 2004.
- F.-C. Chiu, S.-K. Fan, K.-C. Tai, J. Y.-M. Lee, and Y.-C. Chou, “Electrical characterization of tunnel insulator in metal/insulator tunnel transistors fabricated by atomic force microscope,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 24, Article ID 243506, 3 pages, 2005.
- K. Dengfeng, L. Qinggang, G. Weilian, Z. Shilin, and H. Xiaotang, “Method to detect the property of complex oxide structure formed by AFM anodic oxidation completely,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 105, no. 1–4, pp. 111–114, 2005.
- G. Van Der Laan, “Polaronic satellites in x-ray-absorption spectra,” Physical Review B, vol. 41, no. 17, pp. 12366–12368, 1990.
- G. Bertoni, E. Beyers, J. Verbeeck et al., “Quantification of crystalline and amorphous content in porous TiO2 samples from electron energy loss spectroscopy,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 630–635, 2006.
- J. P. Strachan, M. D. Pickett, J. J. Yang et al., “Direct identification of the conducting channels in a functioning memristive device,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 32, pp. 3573–3577, 2010.
- D. R. Lide, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- D. Wang, D. S. Su, and R. Schlögl, “Electron beam induced transformation of MoO3 to MoO2 and a new phase MoO,” Zeitschrift fur Anorganische und Allgemeine Chemie, vol. 630, no. 7, pp. 1007–1014, 2004.
- N. G. Patel, K. K. Makhija, and C. J. Panchal, “Fabrication of carbon dioxide gas sensor and its alarm system using indium tin oxide (ITO) thin films,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 193–197, 1994.
- M. Guo, X. Xia, Y. Gao, G. Jiang, Q. Deng, and G. Shao, “Self-aligned TiO2 thin films with remarkable hydrogen sensing functionality,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 171-172, pp. 165–171, 2012.
- C. Lu and Z. Chen, “High-temperature resistive hydrogen sensor based on thin nanoporous rutile TiO2 film on anodic aluminum oxide,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2009.
- C. S. Rout, G. U. Kulkarni, and C. N. R. Rao, “Room temperature hydrogen and hydrocarbon sensors based on single nanowires of metal oxides,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 40, no. 9, article 016, pp. 2777–2782, 2007.
- J. Lee, D. H. Kim, S.-H. Hong, and J. Y. Jho, “A hydrogen gas sensor employing vertically aligned TiO2 nanotube arrays prepared by template-assisted method,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 1494–1498, 2011.
- W.-P. Tai and J.-H. Oh, “Fabrication and humidity sensing properties of nanostructured TiO2-SnO2 thin films,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 85, no. 1-2, pp. 154–157, 2002.
- M. Gillet, C. Lemire, E. Gillet, and K. Aguir, “The role of surface oxygen vacancies upon WO3 conductivity,” Surface Science, vol. 532-535, pp. 519–525, 2003.
- M. B. Rahmani, S. H. Keshmiri, J. Yu et al., “Gas sensing properties of thermally evaporated lamellar MoO3,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2010.