- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 950439, 5 pages
Surface State Capture Cross-Section at the Interface between Silicon and Hafnium Oxide
Department of Electronic Engineering, Ming Chuan University, Taoyuan, Taiwan 333, Taiwan
Received 5 August 2013; Accepted 30 September 2013
Academic Editor: Chun-Hsing Shih
Copyright © 2013 Fu-Chien Chiu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. D. Wilk, R. M. Wallace, and J. M. Anthony, “High-k gate dielectrics: current status and materials properties considerations,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 5243–5275, 2001.
- H.-S. P. Wong, H.-Y. Lee, S. Yu et al., “Metal-oxide RRAM,” Proceedings of IEEE, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1951–1970, 2012.
- Y. H. Wu, D. J. Wouters, P. Hendrickx et al., “On the bipolar resistive switching memory using TiN/Hf/HfO2/Si MIS structure,” IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 414–416, 2013.
- F. Lin, B. Hoex, Y. H. Koh, J. Lin, and A. G. Aberle, “Low-temperature surface passivation of moderately doped crystalline silicon by atomic-layer-deposited hafnium oxide films,” ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. N11–N14, 2013.
- J. Wang, S. Sadegh Mottaghian, and M. Farrokh Baroughi, “Passivation properties of atomic-layer-deposited hafnium and aluminum oxides on Si surfaces,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 342–348, 2012.
- J. Robertson, “Band offsets of wide-band-gap oxides and implications for future electronic devices,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 1785–1791, 2000.
- J. McPherson, J.-Y. Kim, A. Shanware, and H. Mogul, “Thermochemical description of dielectric breakdown in high dielectric constant materials,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 13, pp. 2121–2123, 2003.
- K. J. Hubbard and D. G. Schlom, “Thermodynamic stability of binary oxides in contact with silicon,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 2757–2776, 1996.
- F.-C. Chiu, “Interface characterization and carrier transportation in metal/HfO2/silicon structure,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, no. 11, Article ID 114102, 5 pages, 2006.
- A. S. Grove and D. J. Fitzgerald, “Surface effects on P-N junctions: characteristics of surface space-charge regions under non-equilibrium conditions,” Solid State Electronics, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 783–806, 1966.
- T. Giebel and K. Goser, “Hot carrier degradation of n-channel MOSFET's characterized by a gated-diode measurement technique,” IEEE Electron Device Letter, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 76–78, 1989.
- S. M. Sze and K. K. Ng, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 2006.
- P. L. Castro and B. E. Doal, “Low-temperature reduction of fast surface states associated with thermally oxidized silicon,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 280–286, 1971.
- P. C. T. Roberts and J. D. E. Beynon, “An experimental determination of the carrier lifetime near the Si-SiO2 interface,” Solid-State Electronics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 221–227, 1973.
- F.-C. Chiu, W.-C. Shih, J. Y.-M. Lee, and H.-L. Hwang, “An investigation of surface state capture cross-sections for metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors using HfO2 gate dielectrics,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 47, no. 4-5, pp. 548–551, 2007.
- K. Shiraishi, K. Yamada, K. Torii et al., “Oxygen-vacancy-induced threshold voltage shifts in Hf-related high-k gate stacks,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 508, no. 1-2, pp. 305–310, 2006.
- K. Tse, D. Liu, K. Xiong, and J. Robertson, “Oxygen vacancies in high-k oxides,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 84, no. 9-10, pp. 2028–2031, 2007.
- K. Xiong and J. Robertson, “Point defects in HfO2 high K gate oxide,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 80, pp. 408–411, 2005.
- H. Takeuchi, H. Y. Wong, D. Ha, and T. J. King, “Impact of oxygen vacancies on high-k gate stack engineering,” in Proceedings of the 50th IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM ’04), pp. 829–832, 2004.
- S.-I. Takagi, A. Toriumi, M. Iwase, and H. Tango, “On the universality of inversion layer mobility in Si MOSFET's: part I-effects of substrate impurity concentration,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 2357–2362, 1994.
- J. R. Hauser, “Extraction of experimental mobility data for MOS devices,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1981–1988, 1996.
- D. K. Schroder, Semiconductor Material and Device Characterization, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 2006.
- P. Masson, J.-L. Autran, and G. Ghibaudo, “An Improved time domain analysis of the charge pumping current,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 280, no. 1–3, pp. 255–260, 2001.
- G. Groeseneken, H. E. Maes, N. Beltran, and R. F. de Keersmaecker, “A reliable approach to charge-pumping measurements in MOS transistors,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 42–53, 1984.
- C.-H. Liu and F.-C. Chiu, “Electrical characterization of ZrO2/Si interface properties in MOSFETs with ZrO2 gate dielectrics,” IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 62–64, 2007.
- P. Saint-Cast, Y. H. Heo, E. Billot et al., “Variation of the layer thickness to study the electrical property of PECVD Al2O3/c-Si interface,” Energy Procedia, vol. 8, pp. 642–647, 2011.
- C.-H. Chen, I. Y.-K. Chang, J. Y.-M. Lee, and F.-C. Chiu, “Electrical characterization of CeO2 Si interface properties of metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors with CeO2 gate dielectric,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 4, Article ID 043507, 3 pages, 2008.
- F.-C. Chiu, S.-Y. Chen, C.-H. Chen, H.-W. Chen, H.-S. Huang, and H.-L. Hwang, “Interfacial and electrical characterization in metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors with CeO2 gate dielectric,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 48, no. 4, Article ID 04C014, 4 pages, 2009.
- J.-P. Han, E. M. Vogel, E. P. Gusev et al., “Energy distribution of interface traps in high-k gated MOSFETs,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on VLSI Technology, pp. 161–162, June 2003.