- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 976373, 8 pages
Impact Toughness and Ductility Enhancement of Biodegradable Poly(lactic acid)/Poly(ε-caprolactone) Blends via Addition of Glycidyl Methacrylate
1Chemistry Department, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Radiation Processing Technology Department, Malaysia Nuclear Agency, Bangi, 43000 Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 11 June 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: Wen-Hua Sun
Copyright © 2013 Wei Kit Chee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kumar, S. Mohanty, S. K. Nayak, and M. Rahail Parvaiz, “Effect of glycidyl methacrylate (GMA) on the thermal, mechanical and morphological property of biodegradable PLA/PBAT blend and its nanocomposites,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 21, pp. 8406–8415, 2010.
- C. L. Simões, J. C. Viana, and A. M. Cunha, “Mechanical properties of poly(ε-caprolactone) and poly(lactic acid) blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 345–352, 2009.
- O. Martin and L. Avérous, “Poly(lactic acid): plasticization and properties of biodegradable multiphase systems,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 14, pp. 6209–6219, 2001.
- L.-T. Lim, R. Auras, and M. Rubino, “Processing technologies for poly(lactic acid),” Progress in Polymer Science (Oxford), vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 820–852, 2008.
- K. Madhavan Nampoothiri, N. R. Nair, and R. P. John, “An overview of the recent developments in polylactide (PLA) research,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 22, pp. 8493–8501, 2010.
- C.-H. Ho, C.-H. Wang, C.-I. Lin, and Y.-D. Lee, “Synthesis and characterization of TPO-PLA copolymer and its behavior as compatibilizer for PLA/TPO blends,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 18, pp. 3902–3910, 2008.
- F. Hassouna, J.-M. Raquez, F. Addiego, P. Dubois, V. Toniazzo, and D. Ruch, “New approach on the development of plasticized polylactide (PLA): grafting of poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) via reactive extrusion,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 2134–2144, 2011.
- Z. Su, Q. Li, Y. Liu, G.-H. Hu, and C. Wu, “Compatibility and phase structure of binary blends of poly(lactic acid) and glycidyl methacrylate grafted poly(ethylene octane),” European Polymer Journal, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 2428–2433, 2009.
- J. W. Park and S. S. Im, “Phase behavior and morphology in blends of poly(L-lactic acid) and poly(butylene succinate),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 647–655, 2002.
- M. E. Broz, D. L. VanderHart, and N. R. Washburn, “Structure and mechanical properties of poly(D,L-lactic acid)/poly(ε-caprolactone) blends,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 23, pp. 4181–4190, 2003.
- L. Jiang, M. P. Wolcott, and J. Zhang, “Study of biodegradable polylactide/poly(butylene adipate-co-terephthalate) blends,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 199–207, 2006.
- N. López-Rodríguez, A. López-Arraiza, E. Meaurio, and J. R. Sarasua, “Crystallization, morphology, and mechanical behavior of polylactide/poly(ε-caprolactone) blends,” Polymer Engineering & Science, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1299–1308, 2006.
- D. Wu, Y. Zhang, L. Yuan, M. Zhang, and W. Zhou, “Viscoelastic interfacial properties of compatibilized poly(ε- caprolactone)/polylactide blend,” Journal of Polymer Science B: Polymer Physics, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 756–765, 2010.
- J.-T. Yeh, C.-J. Wu, C.-H. Tsou et al., “Study on the crystallization, miscibility, morphology, properties of poly(lactic acid)/poly(ε-caprolactone) blends,” Polymer—Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 571–578, 2009.
- M. Harada, T. Ohya, K. Iida, H. Hayashi, K. Hirano, and H. Fukuda, “Increased impact strength of biodegradable poly(lactic acid)/poly(butylene succinate) blend composites by using isocyanate as a reactive processing agent,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 1813–1820, 2007.
- N. Zhang, Q. Wang, J. Ren, and L. Wang, “Preparation and properties of biodegradable poly(lactic acid)/poly(butylene adipate-co-terephthalate) blend with glycidyl methacrylate as reactive processing agent,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 250–256, 2009.
- T. Xu, Z. Tang, and J. Zhu, “Synthesis of polylactide-graft-glycidyl methacrylate graft copolymer and its application as a coupling agent in polylactide/bamboo flour biocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 125, pp. E622–E627, 2012.
- H.-T. Liao and C.-S. Wu, “Preparation and characterization of ternary blends composed of polylactide, poly(ε-caprolactone) and starch,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 515, no. 1-2, pp. 207–214, 2009.
- Y. F. Kim, C. N. Choi, Y. D. Kim, K. Y. Lee, and M. S. Lee, “Compatibilization of immiscible poly(l-lactide) and low density polyethylene blends,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 270–274, 2004.