- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 363917, 8 pages
NiTi Intermetallic Surface Coatings by Laser Metal Deposition for Improving Wear Properties of Ti-6Al-4V Substrates
1Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, National Laser Centre, Building 46F, P.O. Box 395, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
2Department of Chemical, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Tshwane University of Technology, PMB X680, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Received 24 October 2013; Accepted 4 February 2014; Published 17 March 2014
Academic Editor: Feng Zhao
Copyright © 2014 Mokgadi Nomsa Mokgalaka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Polmear, “Titanium alloys,” in Light Alloys, Edward Arnold, London, UK, 1981.
- Y. S. Tian, C. Z. Chen, D. Y. Wang, and T. Q. Lei, “Laser surface modification of titanium alloys—a review,” Surface Review and Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, article 123, 2005.
- M. J. Dutta and I. Manna, “Laser material processing,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 56, no. 5-6, pp. 341–388, 2011.
- J. J. Dai and S. Q. Hou, “Laser gas nitriding of titanium and titanium alloys,” Surface Review and Letters, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 789–796, 2009.
- A. P. I. Popoola, S. L. Pityana, and O. M. Popoola, “Laser deposition of () alloying reinforcements on AA1200 substrate for corrosion improvement,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 5038–5051, 2011.
- M. Rakhes, E. Koroleva, and Z. Liu, “Improvement of corrosion performance of HVOF MMC coatings by laser surface treatment,” Surface Engineering, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 729–733, 2011.
- Y. Sun and M. Hao, “Statistical analysis and optimization of process parameters in Ti6Al4V laser cladding using Nd:YAG laser,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 985–995, 2012.
- E. Yoyserkani, A. Khajerour, and S. Corbin, Laser Cladding, CRC Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
- S. Sun, Y. Durandet, and M. Brandt, “Parametric investigation of pulsed Nd:YAG laser cladding of stellite 6 on stainless steel,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 194, no. 2-3, pp. 225–231, 2005.
- U. K. Mudali, R. Kaul, S. Ningshen et al., “Influence of laser surface alloying with chromium and nickel on corrosion resistance of type 3041 stainless steel,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1185–1192, 2006.
- H. Hiraga, T. Inoue, H. Shimura, and A. Matsunawa, “Cavitation erosion mechanism of NiTi coatings made by laser plasma hybrid spraying,” Wear, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 272–278, 1999.
- M. Salehi, F. Karimzadeh, and A. Tahvilian, “Formation of Ti-Ni intermetallic coatings on carbon tool steel by a duplex process,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 2001.
- K. Allafi, X. Ren, and G. Eggeler, “The mechanism of multistage martensitic transformations in aged Ni-rich NiTi shape memory alloys,” Acta Materialia, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 793–803, 2002.
- J. C. Schauer and J. Winter, “Plasma deposition of elastic wear resistant Si-C coatings on nickel-titanium for biomedical applications,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 103, no. 11, Article ID 113302, 2008.
- L. Gerke, J. Stella, J. C. Schauer, M. Pohl, and J. Winter, “Cavitation erosion resistance of a-C:H coatings produced by PECVD on stainless steel and NiTi substrates,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 204, no. 21-22, pp. 3418–3424, 2010.
- T. Abubakar, M. Rahman, D. P. Dowling, J. Stokes, and M. S. J. Hashmi, “Adhesion performance of TiN coating with amorphous NiTi alloy interlayer onto 316L stainless biosteel deposited by sputtering process,” Surface Engineering, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 499–505, 2010.
- M. Bram, A. Ahmad-Khanlou, H. P. Buchkremer, and D. Stöver, “Vacuum plasma spraying of NiTi protection layers,” Materials Letters, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 647–651, 2002.
- S. Ozel, B. Kurt, I. Somunkiran, and N. Orhan, “Microstructural characteristic of NiTi coating on stainless steel by plasma transferred arc process,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 202, no. 15, pp. 3633–3637, 2008.
- C. van der Eijk, H. Fostervoll, Z. K. Sallom, and O. M. Akselsen, “Plasma welding of NiTi to NiTi, stainless steel and hastelloy C276,” in Proceedings of the ASM Materials Solutions Conference, pp. 125–129, Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, 2003.
- T. B. Massalski, H. Okamoto, P. R. Subramanian, and L. Kacprzak, Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, vol. 3, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, USA, 2nd edition, 1990.
- C. Zhang, Y. Yang, and W. Xu, “In situ synthesis of titanium-nickel intermetallic compounds layer and TiN coating by laser cladding,” OME Information, no. 5, pp. 33–39, 2006.