- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 702376, 9 pages
A New Solution for the Compression of a Two-Layer Strip and Its Application to Analysis of Bonding by Rolling
1A.Yu. Ishlinskii Institute for Problems in Mechanics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 101-1 Prospect Vernadskogo, Moscow 119526, Russia
2Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 81310 Skudai, Johor Darul Ta’zim, Malaysia
Received 28 December 2013; Revised 24 February 2014; Accepted 24 February 2014; Published 25 March 2014
Academic Editor: Roohollah Jamaati
Copyright © 2014 Sergei Alexandrov and Yusof Mustafa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Moore, D. V. Wilson, and W. T. Roberts, “Fabrication of formable metal-metal composites,” Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 113–121, 1981.
- N. Bay, C. Clemensen, O. Juelstorp, and T. Wanheim, “Bond strength in cold roll bonding,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 221–224, 1985.
- D. Pan, K. Gao, and J. Yu, “Cold roll bonding of bimetallic sheets and strips,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 934–939, 1989.
- F. Carreño, J. Chao, M. Pozuelo, and O. A. Ruano, “Microstructure and fracture properties of an ultrahigh carbon steel-mild steel laminated composite,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1135–1140, 2003.
- H. D. Manesh and A. K. Taheri, “Study of mechanisms of cold roll welding of aluminium alloy to steel strip,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1064–1068, 2004.
- X. Li, G. Zu, M. Ding, Y. Mu, and P. Wang, “Interfacial microstructure and mechanical properties of Cu/Al clad sheet fabricated by asymmetrical roll bonding and annealing,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 529, no. 1, pp. 485–491, 2011.
- X. Li, G. Zu, and P. Wang, “Interface strengthening of laminated composite produced by asymmetrical roll bonding,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 562, pp. 96–100, 2013.
- A. A. Afonja and D. H. Sansome, “A theoretical analysis of the sandwich rolling process,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1973.
- S. Lee and D. N. Lee, “Slab analysis of roll bonding of silver clad phosphor bronze sheets,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1042–1050, 1991.
- G. P. Chaudhari and V. Acoff, “Cold roll bonding of multi-layered bi-metal laminate composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 1667–1675, 2009.
- Y.-M. Hwang, H.-H. Hsu, and H.-J. Lee, “Analysis of sandwich sheet rolling by stream function method,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 297–315, 1995.
- Y.-M. Hwang, H.-H. Hsu, and Y.-L. Hwang, “Analytical and experimental study on bonding behavior at the roll gap during complex rolling of sandwich sheets,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 2417–2437, 2000.
- H. Pishbin, M. H. Parsa, and A. Dastvareh, “An analytical modified model of clad sheet bonding by cold rolling using upper bond theorem,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 936–941, 2010.
- H. Maleki, S. Bagherzadeh, B. Mollaei-Dariani, and K. Abrinia, “Analysis of bonding behavior and critical reduction of two-layer strips in clad cold rolling process,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Performance, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 917–925, 2013.
- R. Hill, “A general method of analysis for metal-working processes,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 305–326, 1963.
- A. Azarkhin and O. Richmond, “A model of ploughing by a pyramidal indenter-upper bound method for stress-free surfaces,” Wear, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 409–418, 1992.
- S. P. Moylan, S. Kompella, S. Chandrasekar, and T. N. Farris, “A new approach for studying mechanical properties of thin surface layers affected by manufacturing processes,” Transactions of the ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 310–315, 2003.
- T. A. Trunina and E. A. Kokovikhin, “Formation of a finely dispersed structure in steel surface layers under combined processing using hydraulic pressing,” Journal of Machinery Manufacture and Reliability, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 160–162, 2008.
- S. Aleksandrov, D. Grabko, and O. Shikimaka, “The determination of the thickness of a layer of intensive deformations in the vicinity of the friction surface in metal forming processes,” Journal of Machinery Manufacture and Reliability, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 277–282, 2009.
- E. Orowan, “The calculation of roll pressure in hot and cold flat rolling,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 140–167, 1943.
- H. Kimura, “Application of Orowan theory to hot rolling of aluminum,” Journal of Japan Institute of Light Metals, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 222–227, 1985.
- J. G. Lenard, F. Wang, and G. Nadkarni, “Role of constitutive formulation in the analysis of hot rolling,” Transactions of ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 343–349, 1987.
- D. J. Gates and T. Tarnopolskaya, “Linear theory for lateral displacements of a metal strip in a tandem cold-rolling mill with asymmetries,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers C, vol. 222, no. 7, pp. 1131–1148, 2008.
- S. Kikuchi, H. Kuwahara, N. Mazaki, S. Urai, and H. Miyamura, “Mechanical properties of Ag-Ni super-laminates produced by rolling,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 234-236, pp. 1114–1117, 1997.
- A. Atreya and J. G. Lenard, “Study of cold strip rolling,” Transactions of ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 1979.
- S. Domanti and D. L. S. McElwain, “Two-dimensional plane strain rolling: an asymptotic approach to the estimation of inhomogeneous effects,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 175–196, 1995.
- A. G. Owen and A. W. J. Griffin, “Rapid solution of Orowan's equations using a hybrid computer,” Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, vol. 119, no. 10, pp. 1510–1516, 1972.
- D. Rusia, “Improvements to Alexander's computer model for force and torque calculations in strip rolling processes,” Journal of Materials Shaping Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 167–177, 1990.
- T. A. El-Bitar, “Computer program for the calculation of roll force and torque with strip tension in cold rolling,” Iron Steelmaker, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 87–96, 1993.
- J. Yanagimoto, T. Morimoto, R. Kurahashi, and I. Chikushi, “Mathematical modelling for rolling force and microstructure evolution and microstructure controlling with heavy reduction in tandem hot strip rolling,” Steel Research, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 56–62, 2002.
- S. Alexandrov, G.-Y. Tzou, and M.-N. Huang, “Plane strain compression of a rigid/perfectly plastic multi-layer strip between parallel platens,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 184, no. 1–4, pp. 103–120, 2006.
- S. Alexandrov, G. Mishuris, and W. Miszuris, “An analysis of the plane-strain compression of a three-layer strip,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 555–566, 2001.
- I. F. Collins and S. A. Meguid, “On the influence of hardening and anisotropy on the plane-strain compression of thin metal strip,” Transactions of ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 271–278, 1977.
- T. Inoue, A. Yanagida, and J. Yanagimoto, “Finite element simulation of accumulative roll-bonding process,” Materials Letters, vol. 106, pp. 37–40, 2013.
- T. Inoue and N. Tsuji, “Quantification of strain in accumulative roll-bonding under unlubricated condition by finite element analysis,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 261–266, 2009.
- S. Alexandrov and N. Alexandrova, “On the maximum friction law for rigid/plastic, hardening materials,” Meccanica, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 393–398, 2000.
- S. Alexandrov and O. Richmond, “Singular plastic flow fields near surfaces of maximum friction stress,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2001.
- Y. Tomita and R. Sowerby, “An approximate analysis for studying the plane strain deformation of strain rate sensitive materials,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 505–516, 1979.
- N. Rebelo and S. Kobayashi, “A coupled analysis of viscoplastic deformation and heat transfer-II. Applications,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 707–718, 1980.
- E. J. Appleby, C. Y. Lu, R. S. Rao, M. L. Devenpeck, P. K. Wright, and O. Richmond, “Strip drawing: a theoretical-experimental comparison,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 351–362, 1984.
- R. E. Dutton, R. L. Goetz, S. Shamasundar, and S. L. Semiatin, “The ring test for P/M materials,” Transactions of the ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 764–769, 1998.
- S. M. Roberts, F. R. Hall, A. Van Bael et al., “Benchmark tests for 3-D, elasto-plastic, finite-element codes for the modelling of metal forming processes,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 34, no. 1–4, pp. 61–68, 1992.
- J. Helsing and A. Jonsson, “On the accuracy of benchmark tables and graphical results in the applied mechanics literature,” Transactions ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 88–90, 2002.
- R. Sliwa, “A test determining the ability of different materials to undergo simultaneous plastic deformation to produce metal composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 135, pp. 259–265, 1991.