- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 932637, 8 pages
Molecular Imprinting for High-Added Value Metals: An Overview of Recent Environmental Applications
Laboratory of Polymer Chemistry and Technology, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 541 24 Thessaloniki, Greece
Received 26 January 2014; Accepted 11 February 2014; Published 7 April 2014
Academic Editor: Margaritis Kostoglou
Copyright © 2014 George Z. Kyzas and Dimitrios N. Bikiaris. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Chen, S. Piletsky, and A. P. F. Turner, “Molecular recognition: design of ‘keys’,” Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 409–427, 2002.
- R. Srinivasan, “Advances in application of natural clay and its composites in removal of biological, organic, and inorganic contaminants from drinking water,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 872531, 17 pages, 2011.
- H. Sasaki, Y. Kobashi, T. Nagai, and M. Maeda, “Application of electron beam melting to the removal of phosphorus from silicon: toward production of solar-grade silicon by metallurgical processes,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 857196, 8 pages, 2013.
- A. Radenović, J. Malina, and T. Sofilić, “Characterization of ladle furnace slag from carbon steel production as a potential adsorbent,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 198240, 6 pages, 2013.
- S. M. Alahmadi, S. Mohamad, and M. Jamil Maah, “Preparation of organic-inorganic hybrid materials based on MCM-41 and its applications,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 634863, 8 pages, 2013.
- A. G. Balogh, K. Baba, D. D. Cohen, R. G. Elliman, W. Ensinger, and J. Gyulai, “Modification, synthesis, and analysis of advanced materials using ion beam techniques,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 431297, 2 pages, 2012.
- G. Jiang, T. Chen, and Q. Yang, “Photocatalytic materials,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 186948, 2 pages, 2012.
- Y. Mobarak, M. Bassyouni, and M. Almutawa, “Materials selection, synthesis, and dielectrical properties of PVC nanocomposites,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 149672, 6 pages, 2013.
- M. V. Polyakov, “Adsorption properties and structure of silica gel,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 2, pp. 799–805, 1931.
- F. H. Dickey, “Specific adsorption,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 695–707, 1955.
- G. Wulff and A. Sarhan, “Use of polymers with enzyme-analogous structures for the resolution of racemates,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition in English, vol. 11, pp. 341–344, 1972.
- B. Sellergren and L. Andersson, “Molecular recognition in macroporous polymers prepared by a substrate analogue imprinting strategy,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 3381–3383, 1990.
- K. J. Shea and D. Y. Sasaki, “An analysis of small-molecule binding to functionalized synthetic polymers by13C CP/MAS NMR and FT-IR spectroscopy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 113, no. 11, pp. 4109–4120, 1991.
- G. Wulff, “Enzyme-like catalysis by molecularly imprinted polymers,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2002.
- R. Arshady and K. Mosbach, “Synthesis of substrate-selective polymers by host-guest polymerization,” Macromolecular Chemistry, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 687–692, 1981.
- M. J. Whitcombe, M. E. Rodriguez, P. Villar, and E. N. Vulfson, “A new method for the introduction of recognition site functionality into polymers prepared by molecular imprinting: synthesis and characterization of polymeric receptors for cholesterol,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 117, no. 27, pp. 7105–7111, 1995.
- B. Sellergren, “Imprinted dispersion polymers: a new class of easily accessible affinity stationary phases,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 673, no. 1, pp. 133–141, 1994.
- S. A. Piletsky, E. V. Piletska, K. Karim, K. W. Freebairn, C. H. Legge, and A. P. F. Turner, “Polymer cookery: influence of polymerization conditions on the performance of molecularly imprinted polymers,” Macromolecules, vol. 35, no. 19, pp. 7499–7504, 2002.
- D. J. O'Shannessy, B. Ekberg, and K. Mosbach, “Molecular imprinting of amino acid derivatives at low temperature (0°C) using photolytic homolysis of azobisnitriles,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 144–149, 1989.
- D. Spivak, M. A. Gilmore, and K. J. Shea, “Evaluation of binding and origins of specificity of 9-ethyladenine imprinted polymers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 119, no. 19, pp. 4388–4393, 1997.
- G. Wulff, B. Heide, and G. Helfmeier, “Enzyme-analogue built polymers, 24 On the distance accuracy of functional groups in polymers and silicas introduced by a template approach,” Reactive Polymers, Ion Exchangers, Sorbents, vol. 6, no. 2-3, pp. 299–310, 1987.
- M. Sibrian-Vazquez and D. A. Spivak, “Characterization of molecularly imprinted polymers employing crosslinkers with nonsymmetric polymerizable groups,” Journal of Polymer Science A: Polymer Chemistry, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 3668–3675, 2004.
- B. Sellergren, “Direct drug determination by selective sample enrichment on an imprinted polymer,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1578–1582, 1994.
- G. Z. Kyzas, D. N. Bikiaris, and N. K. Lazaridis, “Selective separation of basic and reactive dyes by molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs),” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 149, no. 1–3, pp. 263–272, 2009.
- E. Caro, R. M. Marcé, P. A. G. Cormack, D. C. Sherrington, and F. Borrull, “On-line solid-phase extraction with molecularly imprinted polymers to selectively extract substituted 4-chlorophenols and 4-nitrophenol from water,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 995, no. 1-2, pp. 233–238, 2003.
- O. Brüggemann, A. Visnjevski, R. Burch, and P. Patel, “Selective extraction of antioxidants with molecularly imprinted polymers,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 504, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2004.
- K. Tsukaghoshi, K. Y. Yu, M. Maeda, and M. Takagi, “Metal ion- selective adsorbent prepared by surface-imprinting polymerization,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 66, pp. 114–120, 1993.
- Y. Koide, H. Shosenji, M. Maeda, and M. Takagi, “Selective adsorption of metal ions to surface-templated resins prepared by emulsion polymerization using a functional surfactant,” ACS Symposium Series, vol. 703, pp. 264–277, 1998.
- H. Chen, M. M. Olmstead, R. L. Albright, J. Devenyi, and R. H. Fish, “Metal-ion-templated polymers: Synthesis and structure of N-(4-vinylbenzyl)-1,4,7-triazacyclononanezinc(II) complexes, their copolymerization with divinylbenzene, and metal-ion selectivity studies of the demetalated resins—evidence for a sandwich complex in the polymer matrix,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition in English, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 642–645, 1997.
- J. M. Gladis and T. P. Rao, “Effect of porogen type on the synthesis of uranium ion imprinted polymer materials for the preconcentration/separation of traces of uranium,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 146, no. 3-4, pp. 251–258, 2004.
- R. Kala, J. Mary Gladis, and T. Prasada Rao, “Preconcentrative separation of erbium from Y, Dy, Ho, Tb and Tm by using ion imprinted polymer particles via solid phase extraction,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 518, no. 1-2, pp. 143–150, 2004.
- V. M. Biju, J. M. Gladis, and T. P. Rao, “Ion imprinted polymer particles: synthesis, characterization and dysprosium ion uptake properties suitable for analytical applications,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 478, no. 1, pp. 43–51, 2003.
- O. Vigneau, C. Pinel, and M. Lemaire, “Separation of lanthanides by ion chromatography with imprinted polymers,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 530–531, 2003.
- Y. Liu, X. Chang, S. Wang, Y. Guo, B. Din, and S. Meng, “Solid-phase extraction and preconcentration of cadmium(II) in aqueous solution with Cd(II)-imprinted resin (poly-Cd(II)-DAAB-VP) packed columns,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 519, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 2004.
- O. Güney, Y. Yilmaz, and Ö. Pekcan, “Metal ion templated chemosensor for metal ions based on fluorescence quenching,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 85, no. 1-2, pp. 86–89, 2002.
- M. E. H. Ahamed, X. Y. Mbianda, A. F. Mulaba-Bafubiandi, and L. Marjanovic, “Selective extraction of gold(III) from metal chloride mixtures using ethylenediamine N-(2-(1-imidazolyl)ethyl) chitosan ion-imprinted polymer,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 140, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- E. Moazzen, H. Ebrahimzadeh, M. M. Amini, and O. Sadeghi, “A high selective ion-imprinted polymer grafted on a novel nanoporous material for efficient gold extraction,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1826–1833, 2013.
- H. Ebrahimzadeh, E. Moazzen, M. M. Amini, and O. Sadeghi, “Novel ion-imprinted polymer coated on nanoporous silica as a highly selective sorbent for the extraction of ultratrace quantities of gold ions from mine stone samples,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 180, no. 5-6, pp. 445–451, 2013.
- H. Ebrahimzadeh, E. Moazzen, M. M. Amini, and O. Sadeghi, “Novel magnetic ion imprinted polymer as a highly selective sorbent for extraction of gold ions in aqueous samples,” Analytical Methods, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 3232–3237, 2012.
- X. Wang, L. Zhang, C. Ma, R. Song, H. Hou, and D. Li, “Enrichment and separation of silver from waste solutions by metal ion imprinted membrane,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 82–86, 2009.
- X. Song, C. Li, R. Xu, and K. Wang, “Molecular-ion-imprinted chitosan hydrogels for the selective adsorption of silver(I) in aqueous solution,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 51, no. 34, pp. 11261–11265, 2012.
- M. Ahamed, X. Y. Mbianda, A. F. Mulaba-Bafubiandi, and L. Marjanovic, “Ion imprinted polymers for the selective extraction of silver(I) ions in aqueous media: kinetic modeling and isotherm studies,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 474–483, 2013.
- S. Daniel and T. Prasada Rao, “Ion imprinted polymers—a new strategy based on the utilization of ion association complex of platinum as a template,” in Proceedings of the 29th IPMI Annual Precious Metals Conference, pp. 78–90, 2005.
- B. Leśniewska, M. Kosińska, B. Godlewska-Zyłkiewicz, E. Zambrzycka, and A. Z. Wilczewska, “Selective solid phase extraction of platinum on an ion imprinted polymers for its electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometric determination in environmental samples,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 175, no. 3-4, pp. 273–282, 2011.