- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Numerical Analysis
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 304124, 17 pages
Unsteady Magnetohydrodynamic Heat Transfer in a Semi-Infinite Porous Medium with Thermal Radiation Flux: Analytical and Numerical Study
1Aerospace Engineering, Department of Engineering and Mathematics, Sheaf Building, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield S1 1WB, UK
2Thermal Engineering and Fluids Department, Technical University of Cartagena, Campus Muralla del Mar, 30202 Cartagena, Spain
3Magnetohydrodynamics, Applied Mathematics Program, Department of Mathematics, Narajole Raj College, P.O. Narajole, Midnapore 721 211, WB, India
4Institute for Advanced Studies, Tehran 14456-63543, Iran
Received 12 December 2010; Accepted 20 January 2011
Academic Editor: William J. Layton
Copyright © 2011 O. Anwar Bég et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. F. Carrier and H. P. Greenspan, “The time-dependent magnetohydrodynamic flow past a flat plate,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 7, pp. 22–32, 1960.
- A. S. Gupta, “Steady and transient free convection of an electrically conducting fluid from a vertical plate in the presence of a magnetic field,” Applied Scientific Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 319–333, 1960.
- R. M. Singer, “Transient magnetohydrodynamic flow and heat transfer,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 483–494, 1965.
- I. Pop, “Unsteady hydromagnetic free convection flow from a vertical infinite flat plate,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 756–757, 1969.
- C. P. Yu and H. K. Yang, “Effect of wall conductances on convective magnetohydrodynamic channel flow,” Applied Scientific Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 16–24, 1969.
- V. V. R. Rao, “Transient hydromagnetic free-convection flow,” Indian Journal of Physics, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 233–235, 1971.
- M. Y. Antimirov and A. A. Kolyshkin, “Unsteady MHD convection in a vertical circular channel,” Magnetohydrodynamics, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 279–284, 1978.
- S. Rajaram and C. P. Yu, “MHD channel flow in a transient magnetic field,” in ASME Symposium Forum on Unsteady Flow, 1984, Publication no. G00259.
- J. N. Tokis, “Unsteady magnetohydrodynamic free-convection flows in a rotating fluid,” Astrophysics and Space Science, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 305–313, 1986.
- S. K. Ghosh, “Unsteady hydromagnetic flow in a rotating channel with oscillating pressure gradient,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 3893–3903, 1993.
- N. C. Sacheti, P. Chandran, and A. K. Singh, “An exact solution for unsteady magnetohydrodynamic free convection flow with constant heat flux,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 131–142, 1994.
- H. A. Attia, “Transient MHD flow and heat transfer between two parallel plates with temperature dependent viscosity,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 115–121, 1999.
- M. A. Al-Nimr and M. K. Alkam, “Magnetohydrodynamics transient free convection in open-ended vertical annuli,” Journal of thermophysics and heat transfer, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 256–265, 1999.
- H. S. Takhar, A. J. Chamkha, and G. Nath, “Unsteady flow and heat transfer on a semi-infinite flat plate with an aligned magnetic field,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 37, no. 13, pp. 1723–1736, 1999.
- A. T. Eswara, S. Roy, and G. Nath, “Unsteady MHD forced flow due to a point sink,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 145, no. 1–4, pp. 159–172, 2000.
- A. J. Chamkha, “Transient hydromagnetic three-dimensional natural convection from an inclined stretching permeable surface,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 159–168, 2000.
- B. K. Jha, “Natural convection in unsteady MHD couette flow,” Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 37, no. 4-5, pp. 329–331, 2001.
- M. A. Seddeek, “Effects of radiation and variable viscosity on a MHD free convection flow past a semi-infinite flat plate with an aligned magnetic field in the case of unsteady flow,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 931–935, 2001.
- M. Zakaria, “Magnetohydrodynamic unsteady free convection flow of a couple stress fluid with one relaxation time through a porous medium,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 146, no. 2-3, pp. 469–494, 2003.
- S. K. Ghosh and I. Pop, “Hall effects on unsteady hydromagnetic flow in a rotating system with oscillating pressure gradient,” International Journal of Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 43–56, 2003.
- J. Z. Jordán, “Numerical study of an unsteady free convective magnetohydrodynamic flow of a dissipative fluid along a vertical plate subject to a constant heat flux,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 44, no. 18-19, pp. 1380–1393, 2006.
- O. Bég, H. S. Anwar, G. N. Takhar, and A. J. Chamkha, “Mathematical Modeling of hydromagnetic convection from a rotating sphere with impulsive motion and buoyancy effects,” Nonlinear Analysis: Modelling and Control, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 227–245, 2006.
- H. M. Duwairi, R. A. Damseh, and B. Tashtoush, “Transient non-boussinesq magnetohydrodynamic free convection flows over a vertical surface,” International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 137–152, 2006.
- C. Bozkaya and M. Tezer-Sezgin, “Boundary element solution of unsteady magnetohydrodynamic duct flow with differential quadrature time integration scheme,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 567–584, 2006.
- R. Siegel and J. R. Howell, “Thermal radiation heat transfer,” Hemisphere, 1993.
- M. M. Ali, T. S. Chen, and B. F. Armaly, “Natural convection radiation interaction in boundary layer flow over horizontal surfaces,” AIAA Journal, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1797–1803, 1984.
- A. Raptis and C. V. Massalas, “Magnetohydrodynamic flow past a plate by the presence of radiation,” Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 34, no. 2-3, pp. 107–109, 1998.
- M. A. Hossain, D. A. S. Rees, and I. Pop, “Free convection-radiation interaction from an isothermal plate inclined at a small angle to the horizontal,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 127, no. 1–4, pp. 63–73, 1998.
- M. A. Abd El-Naby, E. M. E. Elbarbary, and N. Y. Abdelazem, “Finite difference solution of radiation effects on MHD unsteady free-convection flow over vertical plate with variable surface temperature,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2003, no. 2, pp. 65–86, 2003.
- A. Ogulu and S. Motsa, “Radiative heat transfer to magneto-hydrodynamic couette flow with variable wall temperature,” Physica Scripta, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 336–339, 2005.
- M. Abd-El Aziz, “Thermal radiation effects on magnetohydrodynamic mixed convection flow of a micropolar fluid past a continuously moving semi-infinite plate for high temperature differences,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 187, no. 1–4, pp. 113–127, 2006.
- A. Ogulu and J. Prakash, “Heat transfer to unsteady magneto-hydrodynamic flow past an infinite moving vertical plate with variable suction,” Physica Scripta, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 232–239, 2006.
- V. R. Prasad, N. B. Reddy, and Muthucumaraswamy, “Transient radiative hydromagnetic free convection flow past an impulsively started vertical plate with uniform heat and mass flux,” Theoretical Applied Mechanics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 31–63, 2006.
- J. Zueco, “Network simulation method applied to radiation and viscous dissipation effects on MHD unsteady free convection over vertical porous plate,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 2019–2033, 2007.
- A. J. Chamkha, “Unsteady hydromagnetic natural convection in a fluid-saturated porous medium channel,” Advanced Filtration and Separation Technology, vol. 10, pp. 369–375, 1996.
- A. J. Chamkha, “Unsteady laminar hydromagnetic flow and heat transfer in porous channels with temperature-dependent properties,” International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 11, no. 5-6, pp. 430–448, 2001.
- O. A. Bég, H. S. Takhar, and A. K. Singh, “Multiparameter perturbation analysis of unsteady oscillatory magnetoconvection in porous media with heat source effects,” International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 635–661, 2005.
- R. C. Chaudhary and A. Jain, “Magnetohydrodynamic transient convection flow past a vertical surface embedded in a porous medium with oscillating temperature,” Turkish Journal of Engineering and Environmental Sciences, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2008.
- J. A. Shercliff, A Textbook of Magnetohydrodynamics, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1965.
- V. P. Isachenko, V. A. Osipova, and A. S. Sukomel, Heat Transfer, Mir, Moscow, Russia, 1969.
- S. K. Ghosh and O. A. Bég, “Theoretical analysis of radiative effects on transient free convection heat transfer past a hot vertical surface in porous media,” Nonlinear Analysis: Modelling and Control, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 419–432, 2008.
- J. Zueco, “Unsteady conjugate problem of a dissipative fluid in a horizontal channel with a periodic variation temperature,” Meccanica, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2008.
- O. A. Bég, H. S. Takhar, J. Zueco, A. Sajid, and R. Bhargava, “Transient Couette flow in a rotating non-Darcian porous medium parallel plate configuration: network simulation method solutions,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 200, no. 3-4, pp. 129–144, 2008.
- O. A. Bég, J. Zueco, and H. S. Takhar, “Unsteady magnetohydrodynamic Hartmann-Couette flow and heat transfer in a Darcian channel with Hall current, ionslip, viscous and Joule heating effects: network numerical solutions,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1082–1097, 2009.
- O. A. Bég, J. Zueco, and H. S. Takhar, “Laminar free convection from a continuously-moving vertical surface in thermally-stratified non-Darcian high-porosity medium: network numerical study,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 810–816, 2008.
- Pspice 6.0. Irvine, California 92718. Microsim Corporation, 20 Fairbanks, 1994.
- L. W. Nagel, SPICE—A Computer Program to Simulate Semiconductor Circuits, chapter 4–6, UCB-ERL, M520, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1998.