- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Numerical Analysis
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 189045, 9 pages
Mixed Finite Element Methods for the Poisson Equation Using Biorthogonal and Quasi-Biorthogonal Systems
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW 2308, Australia
Received 10 October 2012; Revised 20 February 2013; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: Norbert Heuer
Copyright © 2013 Bishnu P. Lamichhane. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Achdou, C. Bernardi, and F. Coquel, “A priori and a posteriori analysis of finite volume discretizations of Darcy's equations,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 17–42, 2003.
- P. B. Bochev and C. R. Dohrmann, “A computational study of stabilized, low-order finite element approximations of Darcy equations,” Computational Mechanics, vol. 38, no. 4-5, pp. 310–333, 2006.
- D. Braess, Finite Elements. Theory, Fast Solver, and Applications in Solid Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 2001.
- F. Brezzi and M. Fortin, Mixed and Hybrid Finite Element Methods, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- F. Brezzi, T. J. R. Hughes, L. D. Marini, and A. Masud, “Mixed discontinuous Galerkin methods for Darcy flow,” Journal of Scientific Computing, vol. 22-23, pp. 119–145, 2005.
- K. A. Mardal, X.-C. Tai, and R. Winther, “A robust finite element method for Darcy-Stokes flow,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1605–1631, 2002.
- A. Masud and T. J. R. Hughes, “A stabilized mixed finite element method for Darcy flow,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 191, no. 39-40, pp. 4341–4370, 2002.
- J. M. Urquiza, D. N'Dri, A. Garon, and M. C. Delfour, “A numerical study of primal mixed finite element approximations of Darcy equations,” Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering with Biomedical Applications, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 901–915, 2006.
- B. P. Lamichhane and E. P. Stephan, “A symmetric mixed finite element method for nearly incompressible elasticity based on biorthogonal systems,” Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1336–1353, 2012.
- S. C. Brenner and L. R. Scott, The Mathematical Theory of Finite Element Methods, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- B. P. Lamichhane, B. D. Reddy, and B. I. Wohlmuth, “Convergence in the incompressible limit of finite element approximations based on the Hu-Washizu formulation,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 151–175, 2006.
- J. C. Simo and M. S. Rifai, “A class of mixed assumed strain methods and the method of incompatible modes,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1595–1638, 1990.
- K. Washizu, Variational Methods in Elasticity and Plasticity, Pergamon Press, 3rd edition, 1982.
- D. N. Arnold and F. Brezzi, “Some new elements for the Reissner-Mindlin plate model,” in Boundary Value Problems for Partial Differerntial Equations and Applications, pp. 287–292, Masson, Paris, France, 1993.
- P. G. Ciarlet, The Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems, North-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1978.
- B. P. Lamichhane, Higher order mortar finite elements with dual lagrange multiplier spaces and applications [Ph.D. thesis], University of Stuttgart, 2006.
- B. P. Lamichhane, “A stabilized mixed finite element method for the biharmonic equation based on biorthogonal systems,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 235, no. 17, pp. 5188–5197, 2011.
- B. P. Lamichhane, “A mixed finite element method for the biharmonic problem using biorthogonal or quasi-biorthogonal systems,” Journal of Scientific Computing, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 379–396, 2011.
- B. P. Lamichhane, S. Roberts, and L. Stals, “A mixed finite element discretisation of thin-plate splines,” ANZIAM Journal, vol. 52, pp. C518–C534, 2011, Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Computational Techniques and Applications Conference.
- B. P. Lamichhane and B. I. Wohlmuth, “Biorthogonal bases with local support and approximation properties,” Mathematics of Computation, vol. 76, no. 257, pp. 233–249, 2007.
- A. Galántai, Projectors and Projection Methods, vol. 6, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2004.
- D. B. Szyld, “The many proofs of an identity on the norm of oblique projections,” Numerical Algorithms, vol. 42, no. 3-4, pp. 309–323, 2006.
- C. Kim, R. D. Lazarov, J. E. Pasciak, and P. S. Vassilevski, “Multiplier spaces for the mortar finite element method in three dimensions,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 519–538, 2001.
- D. N. Arnold, F. Brezzi, and M. Fortin, “A stable finite element for the Stokes equations,” Calcolo, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 337–344, 1984.
- B. P. Lamichhane, “A mixed finite element method for non-linear and nearly incompressible elasticity based on biorthogonal systems,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 870–886, 2009.
- B. I. Wohlmuth, Discretization Methods and Iterative Solvers Based on Domain Decomposition, vol. 17 of Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2001.
- M. Ainsworth and J. T. Oden, A Posteriori Error Estimation in Finite Element Analysis, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2000.