- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 278371, 3 pages
Community-Based Screening for Infantile Anemia in an Okinawan Village, Japan
1Graduate School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, 207 Uehara, Nishihara, Okinawa 903-0215, Japan
2176 Aza Toma, Nakagusuku Village, Okinawa 901-2416, Japan
3School of Public Health, Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute, Curtin University, GPO Box U 1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Received 26 September 2010; Accepted 4 November 2010
Academic Editor: Bruno Annibale
Copyright © 2011 Tomiko Hokama et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNICEF, The State of the World’s Children 2009: Maternal and Newborn Health, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- World Health Organization, “Focusing on Anaemia: Towards an Integrated Approach for Effective Anaemia Control,” 2004.
- J. M. Brotanek, J. S. Halterman, P. Auinger, G. Flores, and M. Weitzman, “Iron deficiency, prolonged bottle-feeding, and racial/ethnic disparities in young children,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 159, no. 11, pp. 1038–1042, 2005.
- B. S. Gunnarsson, I. Thorsdottir, G. Palsson, and S. J. Gretarsson, “Iron status at 1 and 6 years versus developmental scores at 6 years in a well-nourished affluent population,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 391–395, 2007.
- T. Shafir, R. Angulo-Barroso, Y. Jing, M. L. Angelilli, S. W. Jacobson, and B. Lozoff, “Iron deficiency and infant motor development,” Early Human Development, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 479–485, 2008.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, “Screening for Iron Deficiency Anemia-Including Iron Supplementation for Children and Pregnant Women: Recommendation Statement,” Publication No. AHRQ 06-0589. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Md, USA, May 2006, http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf06/ironsc/ironrs.htm.
- T. Hokama and C. Binns, “Trends in the prevalence of low birth weight in Okinawa, Japan: a public health perspective,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 242–246, 2009.
- T. Hokama, “A study of the hemoglobin levels in breast-fed infants in one village of Okinawa prefecture,” Acta Paediatrica Japonica, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 138–140, 1993.
- K. F. Quek, T. Hokama, and C. Yogi, “Screening results of anaemia among infants in a village in Okinawa, Japan: a cross-sectional study,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 24–28, 2006.
- Y. Fukunaga, “Iron and anemia,” Activity Report 2009. Tokyo Health Service Association, vol. 38, pp. 56–60, 2009.