- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 986303, 9 pages
Nutrition and Iron Status of 1-Year Olds following a Revision in Infant Dietary Recommendations
1Unit for Nutrition Research, Landspitali-The National University Hospital of Iceland, Eiríksgata 29, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
2Faculty of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Iceland, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
3Children's Hospital, Landspitali-The National University Hospital of Iceland, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
Received 24 May 2011; Accepted 10 June 2011
Academic Editor: Bruno Annibale
Copyright © 2011 Asa V. Thorisdottir et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Lozoff, E. Jimenez, J. Hagen, E. Mollen, and A. W. Wolf, “Poorer behavioral and developmental outcome more than 10 years after treatment for iron deficiency in infancy,” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 4, p. E51, 2000.
- K. F. Michaelsen, N. Milman, and G. Samuelson, “A longitudinal study of iron status in healthy Danish infants: effects of early iron status, growth velocity and dietary factors,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1035–1044, 1995.
- K. Dube, J. Schwartz, M. J. Mueller, H. Kalhoff, and M. Kersting, “Iron intake and iron status in breastfed infants during the first year of life,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 773–778, 2010.
- I. Öhlund, T. Lind, A. Hörnell, and O. Hernell, “Predictors of iron status in well-nourished 4-y-old children,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 839–845, 2008.
- C. W. Fitch, M. S. Cannon, G. E. Seidel, and D. A. Krummel, “Dietary factors affecting iron status of children residing in rural West Virginia,” The West Virginia Medical Journal, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 19–22, 2008.
- C. W. Thane, C. M. Walmsley, C. J. Bates, A. Prentice, and T. J. Cole, “Risk factors for poor iron status in British toddlers: further analysis of data from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey of children aged 1.5–4.5 years,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 433–440, 2000.
- I. Thorsdottir, B. S. Gunnarsson, H. Atladottir, K. F. Michaelsen, and G. Palsson, “Iron status at 12 months of age-effects of body size, growth and diet in a population with high birth weight,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 505–513, 2003.
- G. Hay, B. Sandstad, A. Whitelaw, and B. Borch-Iohnsen, “Iron status in a group of Norwegian children aged 6–24 months,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 592–598, 2004.
- B. S. Gunnarsson, I. Thorsdottir, and G. Palsson, “Iron status in 6-y-old children: association with growth and earlier iron status,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 761–767, 2005.
- B. S. Gunnarsson, I. Thorsdottir, G. Palsson, and S. J. Gretarsson, “Iron status at 1 and 6 years versus developmental scores at 6 years in a well-nourished affluent population,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 391–395, 2007.
- “The Icelandic nutrition council and centre for child health services,” in Icelandic Infant Nutrition Recommendation (IINR), The Icelandic Nutrition Council, Reykjavík, Iceland, 2003.
- World Health Organization, “Infant and young child nutrition. Global strategy on infant and young child feeding. Report by the Secretariat,” in Proceedings of the 55th World Health Assembly A55/15 Provisional Agenda Item 13.10 16, World Health Organization, 2002.
- ISGEM, (The Icelandic Food Composition Database), 2008, http://www.matis.is/ISGEM/is/leit/.
- “Regulation on infant formulas and follow-on milk 735/1997,” Ministry of the Interior, Reykjavík, Iceland, 1997, http://www.reglugerd.is.
- C. K. Bradley, L. Hillman, A. R. Sherman et al., “Evaluation of two iron-fortified, milk-based formulas during infancy,” Pediatrics, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 908–914, 1993.
- M. N. García-Casal, M. Landaeta-Jiménez, R. Puche, et al., “A program of nutritional education in schools reduced the prevalence of iron deficiency in students,” Anemia, vol. 2011, Article ID 284050, 6 pages, 2011.
- T. Hokama, C. Yogi, C. W. Binns, and A. H. Lee, “Community-based screening for infantile anemia in an Okinawan village, Japan,” Anemia, vol. 2011, Article ID 278371, 3 pages, 2011.
- H. Atladottir and I. Thorsdottir, “Energy intake and growth of infants in Iceland,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 695–701, 2000.
- L. Steingrimsdottir, H. Thorgeirsdottir, and A. S. Olafsdottir, The Diet of Icelanders. Dietary Survey, Main Findings, The Icelandic Nutrition Council, Reykjavík, Iceland, 2003.
- M. A. Siimes, L. Salmenpera, and J. Perheentupa, “Exclusive breast-feeding for 9 months: risk of iron deficiency,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 196–199, 1984.
- D. G. Gill, S. Vincent, and D. S. Segal, “Follow-on formula in the prevention of iron deficiency: a multicentre study,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 683–689, 1997.
- I. Thorsdottir, B. E. Birgisdottir, I. M. Johannsdottir et al., “Different β-casein fractions in icelandic versus Scandinavian cow's milk may influence diabetogenicity of cow's milk in infancy and explain low incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in Iceland,” Pediatrics, vol. 106, no. 4 I, pp. 719–724, 2000.
- A. Cattaneo, T. Burmaz, M. Arendt et al., “Protection, promotion and support of breast-feeding in Europe: progress from 2002 to 2007,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 751–759, 2010.
- A. M. Grjibovski, B. Ehrenblad, and A. Yngve, “Infant feeding in Sweden: socio-demographic determinants and association with adiposity in childhood and adolescence,” International Breastfeeding Journal, vol. 3, article 23, 2008.
- M. S. Fewtrell, J. B. Morgan, C. Duggan et al., “Optimal duration of exclusive breastfeeding: what is the evidence to support current recommendations?” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 635S–638S, 2007.
- R. J. Moy, “Prevalence, consequences and prevention of childhood nutritional iron deficiency: a child public health perspective,” Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 291–298, 2006.
- P. Oti-Boateng, R. Seshadri, S. Petrick, R. A. Gibson, and K. Simmer, “Iron status and dietary iron intake of 6–24-month-old children in Adelaide,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 250–253, 1998.
- M. Domellöf, B. Lönnerdal, K. G. Dewey, R. J. Cohen, and O. Hernell, “Iron, zinc, and copper concentrations in breast milk are independent of maternal mineral status,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 111–115, 2004.
- J. M. Brotanek, J. Gosz, M. Weitzman, and G. Flores, “Iron deficiency in early childhood in the United States: risk factors and racial/ethnic disparities,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 568–575, 2007.
- I. Gunnarsdottir and I. Thorsdottir, “Relationship between growth and feeding in infancy and body mass index at the age of 6 years,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1523–1527, 2003.
- K. F. Michaelsen, “Nutrition and growth during infancy. The Copenhagen cohort study,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 420, no. 420, supplement, pp. 1–36, 1997.
- J. M. Schneider, M. L. Fujii, C. L. Lamp, B. Lönnerdal, K. G. Dewey, and S. Zidenberg-Cherr, “The use of multiple logistic regression to identify risk factors associated with anemia and iron deficiency in a convenience sample of 12–36-mo-old children from low income families,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 614–620, 2008.
- S. P. Walker, T. D. Wachs, J. M. Gardner et al., “Child development: risk factors for adverse outcomes in developing countries,” Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9556, pp. 145–157, 2007.
- M. Domellöf, B. Lönnerdal, K. G. Dewey, R. J. Cohen, L. Landa Rivera, and O. Hernell, “Sex differences in iron status during infancy,” Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 545–552, 2002.