- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 659303, 7 pages
Eryptotic Phenotype in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: Contribution of Neutrophilic Cathepsin G
1Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai 410 210, India
2Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang 43400, Malaysia
3Department of Medical Oncology, Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai 400 026, India
Received 27 August 2011; Revised 16 November 2011; Accepted 22 December 2011
Academic Editor: Eitan Fibach
Copyright © 2012 Rukmini Govekar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. B. Segel, M. W. Halterman, and M. A. Lichtman, “The paradox of the neutrophil's role in tissue injury,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 359–372, 2011.
- A. Santos-Silva, E. Molnar Bayer Castro, N. Almeida Teixeira, F. Carvalho Guerra, and A. Quintanilha, “Altered erythrocyte membrane band 3 profile as a marker in patients at risk for cardiovascular disease,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 199–209, 1995.
- A. Santos-Silva, I. Rebelo, E. Castro et al., “Erythrocyte damage and leukocyte activation in ischemic stroke,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 320, no. 1-2, pp. 29–35, 2002.
- L. Belo, I. Rebelo, E. M. B. Castro et al., “Band 3 as a marker of erythrocyte changes in pregnancy,” European Journal of Haematology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 145–151, 2002.
- M. M. B. Kay, S. R. Goodman, and K. Sorensen, “Senescent cell antigen is immunologically related to band 3,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1631–1635, 1983.
- M. M. B. Kay, “Localization of senescent cell antigen on band 3,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 81, no. 18, pp. 5753–5757, 1984.
- A. Santos-Silva, E. M. B. Castro, N. A. Teixeira, F. C. Guerra, and A. Quintanilha, “Erythrocyte membrane band 3 profile imposed by cellular aging, by activated neutrophils and by neutrophilic elastase,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 275, no. 2, pp. 185–196, 1998.
- K. Bykowska, M. Duk, G. Kusnierz-Alejska, M. Kopec, and E. Lisowska, “Degradation of human erythrocytre surface components by human neutrophil elastase and cathepsin G: preferential digestion of glycophorins,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 736–742, 1993.
- K. Bykowska, M. Duk, G. Kusnierz-Alejska et al., “Degradation of glycophorin A of human erythrocytes in patients with myelo- or lymphoproliferative disorders: possible role of neutrophil proteases,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 514–520, 1997.
- A. Kumar and C. M. Gupta, “Red cell membrane abnormalities in chronic myeloid leukaemia,” Nature, vol. 303, no. 5918, pp. 632–633, 1983.
- M. Kundu, J. Basu, and P. Chakrabarti, “Chronic myelogenous leukemia: alterations in red cell membrane band 3 and increased IgG binding,” Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 456–459, 1990.
- M. M. B. Kay, N. Flowers, J. Goodman, and G. Bosman, “Alteration in membrane protein band 3 associated with accelerated erythrocyte aging,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 15, pp. 5834–5838, 1989.
- P. Kubes, R. Smith, M. D. Grisham, and D. N. Granger, “Neutrophil-mediated proteolysis. Differential roles for cathepsin G and elastase,” Inflammation, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 321–332, 1993.
- J. T. Dodge, C. Mitchell, and D. J. Hanahan, “The preparation and chemical characteristics of hemoglobin-free ghosts of human erythrocytes,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 119–130, 1963.
- G. L. Peterson, “A simplification of the protein assay method of Lowry et al. Which is more generally applicable,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 346–356, 1977.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- R. B. Govekar, A. K. D'Cruz, K. A. Pathak et al., “Proteomic profiling of cancer of the gingivo-buccal complex: identification of new differentially expressed markers,” Proteomics—Clinical Applications, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1451–1462, 2009.
- P. Arese, F. Turrini, and E. Schwarzer, “Band 3/complement-mediated recognition and removal of normally senescent and pathological human erythrocytes,” Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 16, no. 4–6, pp. 133–146, 2005.
- G. Tarone, N. Hamasaki, M. Fukuda, and V. T. Marchesi, “Proteolytic degradation of human erythrocyte band 3 by membrane-associated protease activity,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1979.
- D. Mandal, P. K. Moitra, S. Saha, and J. Basu, “Caspase 3 regulates phosphatidylserine externalization and phagocytosis of oxidatively stressed erythrocytes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 513, no. 2-3, pp. 184–188, 2002.
- D. Mandal, V. Baudin-Creuza, A. Bhattacharyya et al., “Caspase 3-mediated proteolysis of the N-terminal cytoplasmic domain of the human erythroid anion exchanger 1 (band 3),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 52, pp. 52551–52558, 2003.
- N. Balasubramanian, S. H. Advani, and S. M. Zingde, “Protein kinase C isoforms in normal and chronic myeloid leukemic neutrophils. Distinct signal for PKC α by immunodetection on PVDF membrane, decreased expression of PKC α and increased expression of PKC δ in leukemic neutrophils,” Leukemia Research, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 597–604, 1998.
- R. B. Govekar and S. M. Zingde, “Protein kinase C isoforms in human erythrocytes,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 531–534, 2001.
- N. Bangalore and J. Travis, “Comparison of properties of membrane bound versus soluble forms of human leukocytic elastase and cathepsin G,” Biological Chemistry Hoppe-Seyler, vol. 375, no. 10, pp. 659–666, 1994.
- I. I. Smirnov, V. N. Levin, and N. P. Zdiumaeva, “Protein adsorption on erythrocytic membranes and its effect on erythrocyte rheology in athletes during competition exercise,” Fiziologiia cheloveka, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 126–132, 2004.
- M. Takeda-Ezaki and K. Yamamoto, “Isolation and biochemical characterization of procathepsin E from human erythrocyte membranes,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 304, no. 2, pp. 352–358, 1993.
- L. Lorand, O. J. Bjerrum, and M. Hawkins, “Degradation of transmembrane proteins in Ca2+ -enriched human erythrocytes. An immunochemical study,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 258, no. 8, pp. 5300–5305, 1983.
- M. M. B. Kay and J. R. Goodman, “IgG antibodies do not bind to band 3 in intact erythrocytes; enzymatic treatment of cells is required for IgG binding,” Biomedica Biochimica Acta, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 841–846, 1984.