- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 823157, 10 pages
Model for a Torsional-Mode Ultrasonic Transducer for an Acousto-Optic In-Fiber Isolator
Air Force Research Laboratory, Directed Energy Directorate, Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, NM 87117, USA
Received 29 October 2009; Accepted 22 January 2010
Academic Editor: Pierre Bourdon
Copyright © 2010 Gerald T. Moore. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. J. Lee, H. C. Park, H. S. Park, and B. Y. Kim, “Highly efficient all-fiber tunable polarization filter using torsional acoustic wave,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 19, pp. 12362–12367, 2007.
- H. E. Engan, “Analysis of polarization-mode coupling by acoustic torsional waves in optical fibers,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 112–118, 1996.
- K. Zhou, G. Simpson, X. Chen, L. Zhang, and I. Bennion, “High extinction ratio in-fiber polarizers based on tilted fiber Bragg gratings,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1285–1287, 2005.
- I. K. Hwang, S. H. Yun, and B. Y. Kim, “All-fiber-optic nonreciprocal modulator,” Optics Letters, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 507–509, 1997.
- H. E. Engan, B. Y. Kim, J. N. Blake, and H. J. Shaw, “Propagation and optical interaction of guided acoustic waves in two-mode optical fibers,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 428–436, 1988.
- R. Vacher, J. Pelous, F. Plicque, and A. Zarembowitch, “Ultrasonic and brillouin scattering study of the elastic properties of vitreous silica between 10 and 300 K,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 397–410, 1981.
- R. N. Thurston, “Elastic waves in rods and clad rods,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 1–37, 1978.
- A. I. Beltzer, Acoustics of Solids, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1988.
- C. Krischer, “Optical measurements of ultrasonic attenuation and reflection losses in fused silica,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 48, pp. 1086–1092, 1970.
- M. N. Kul'bitskaya and V. A. Shutilov, “Ultrasonic investigation of glasses (review),” Soviet Physics—Acoustics, vol. 22, pp. 451–461, 1976.
- D. B. Fraser, J. T. Krause, and A. H. Meitzler, “Physical limitations on the performance of vitreous silica in high-frequency ultrasonic and acousto-optical devices,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 308–310, 1967.
- J. T. Krause, “Gold-indium bond for measurement of ultrasonic properties in solids at high temperatures,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 5334–5335, 1968.
- K. J. Lee, K. S. Hong, H. C. Park, and B. Y. Kim, “Polarization coupling in a highly birefringent photonic crystal fiber by torsional acoustic wave,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 4631–4638, 2008.
- M. Berwick, C. N. Pannell, P. ST. J. Russell, and D. A. Jackson, “Demonstration of birefringent optical fibre frequency shifter employing torsional acoustic waves,” Electronics Letters, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 713–715, 1991.
- M. Berwick and D. A. Jackson, “Coaxial optical-fiber frequency shifter,” Optics Letters, vol. 17, pp. 270–272, 1992.
- J. Friend, K. Nakamura, and S. Ueha, “A torsional transducer through in-plane shearing of paired planar piezoelectric elements,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 871–878, 2004.
- N. Tsubouchi, “Resonator for torsional vibration,” US patent no. 3,774,057, November 1973.
- J. O. Kim and O. S. Kwon, “Vibration characteristics of piezoelectric torsional transducers,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 264, no. 2, pp. 453–473, 2003.
- W. Johnson, B. A. Auld, and G. A. Alers, “Spectroscopy of resonant torsional modes in cylindrical rods using electromagnetic-acoustic transduction,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 1413–1418, 1994.