- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 237026, 10 pages
Optoelectronic Heating for Fabricating Microfluidic Circuitry
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 7 June 2011; Accepted 1 August 2011
Academic Editor: Eric Pei Yu Chiou
Copyright © 2011 Gauvain Haulot and Chih-Ming Ho. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. M. Chan, R. A. Mathies, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Size-controlled growth of CdSe nanocrystals in microfluidic reactors,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 199–201, 2003.
- D. L. Huber, R. P. Manginell, M. A. Samara, B. I. Kim, and B. C. Bunker, “Programmed adsorption and release of proteins in a microfluidic device,” Science, vol. 301, no. 5631, pp. 352–354, 2003.
- M. U. Kopp, A. J. de Mello, and A. Manz, “Chemical amplification: continuous-flow PCR on a chip,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5366, pp. 1046–1048, 1998.
- P. Sethu and C. H. Mastrangelo, “Polyethylene glycol (PEG)-based actuator for nozzle-diffuser pumps in plastic microfluidic systems,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 283–289, 2003.
- M. E. Harmon, M. Tang, and C. W. Frank, “A microfluidic actuator based on thermoresponsive hydrogels,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 16, pp. 4547–4556, 2003.
- N. T. Nguyen, T. H. Ting, Y. F. Yap et al., “Thermally mediated droplet formation in microchannels,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 8, Article ID 084102, 2007.
- D. Ross and L. E. Locascio, “Microfluidic temperature gradient focusing,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 11, pp. 2556–2564, 2002.
- A. A. Darhuber, J. P. Valentino, S. M. Troian, and S. Wagner, “Thermocapillary actuation of droplets on chemically patterned surfaces by programmable microheater arrays,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 873–879, 2003.
- Y. Liu, D. K. Cheng, G. J. Sonek, M. W. Berns, C. F. Chapman, and B. J. Tromberg, “Evidence for localized cell heating induced by infrared optical tweezers,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 2137–2144, 1995.
- M. N. Slyadnev, Y. Tanaka, M. Tokeshi, and T. Kitamori, “Photothermal temperature control of a chemical reaction on a microchip using an infrared diode laser,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 73, no. 16, pp. 4037–4044, 2001.
- S. R. Sershen, G. A. Mensing, M. Ng, N. J. Halas, D. J. Beebe, and J. L. West, “Independent optical control of microfluidic valves formed from optomechanically responsive nanocomposite hydrogels,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1366–1368, 2005.
- K. Zhang, A. Jian, X. Zhang, Y. Wang, Z. Li, and H. Y. Tam, “Laser-induced thermal bubbles for microfluidic applications,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1389–1395, 2011.
- H. Yoshioka, M. Mikami, Y. Mori, and E. Tsuchida, “Synthetic hydrogel with thermoreversible gelation. I. preparation and rheological properties,” Journal of Macromolecular Science—Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. A31, no. 1, pp. 113–120, 1994.
- H. Sugino, T. Arakawa, Y. Nara et al., “Integration in a multilayer microfluidic chip of 8 parallel cell sorters with flow control by sol-gel transition of thermoreversible gelation polymer,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 10, no. 19, pp. 2559–2565, 2010.
- M. Krishnan, J. Park, and D. Erickson, “Optothermorheological flow manipulation,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 13, pp. 1976–1978, 2009.
- A. T. Ohta, A. Jamshidi, J. K. Valley, H. Y. Hsu, and M. C. Wu, “Optically actuated thermocapillary movement of gas bubbles on an absorbing substrate,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 7, Article ID 074103, 2007.
- P. Y. Chiou, A. T. Ohta, and M. C. Wu, “Massively parallel manipulation of single cells and microparticles using optical images,” Nature, vol. 436, no. 7049, pp. 370–372, 2005.
- P. Y. Chiou, H. Moon, H. Toshiyoshi, C. J. Kim, and M. C. Wu, “Light actuation of liquid by optoelectrowetting,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 222–228, 2003.
- G. Haulot, A. J. Benahmed, and C. M. Ho, “Optoelectronic reconfigurable microchannels,” in Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS '11), pp. 53–56, January 2011.
- N. Attaf, M. S. Aida, and L. Hadjeris, “Thermal conductivity of hydrogenated amorphous silicon,” Solid State Communications, vol. 120, no. 12, pp. 525–530, 2001.
- H. J. Goldsmid, M. M. Kaila, and G. L. Paul, “Thermal conductivity of amorphous silicon,” Physica Status Solidi A, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. K31–K33, 1983.
- C. R. Wronski, D. E. Carlson, and R. E. Daniel, “Schottky-barrier characteristics of metal-amorphous-silicon diodes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 602–605, 1976.
- D. E. Heller, R. M. Dawson, C. T. Malone, S. Nag, and C. R. Wronski, “Electron-transport mechanisms in metal Schottky barrier contacts to hydrogenated amorphous silicon,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 2377–2384, 1992.
- N. Szydlo, J. Magariño, and D. Kaplan, “Post-hydrogenated chemical vapor deposited amorphous silicon Schottky diodes,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 5044–5051, 1982.
- S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Wiley, 3rd edition, 2007.
- T. Aoki, N. Ohrui, C. Fujihashi, and K. Shimakawa, “Enhancement of non-geminate electron-hole pair recombination induced by strong electric field in hydrogenated amorphous silicon (a-Si:H): effective-temperature concept,” Philosophical Magazine Letters, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2008.
- K. Jahn, R. Carius, and W. Fuhs, “Photoluminescence and photoconductivity of a-Si:H at high electric fields,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 97-98, no. 1, pp. 575–578, 1987.
- W. Paul and D. A. Anderson, “Properties of amorphous hydrogenated silicon, with special emphasis on preparation by sputtering,” Solar Energy Materials, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 229–316, 1981.
- J. A. Schmidt, R. R. Koropecki, R. D. Arce, F. A. Rubinelli, and R. H. Buitrago, “Energy-resolved photon flux dependence of the steady state photoconductivity in hydrogenated amorphous silicon: implications for the constant photocurrent method,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 376, no. 1-2, pp. 267–274, 2000.
- A. Madan, W. Czubatyj, J. Yang, M. S. Shur, and M. P. Shaw, “Observation of two modes of current transport through phosphorus-doped amorphous hydrogenated silicon Schottky barriers,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 234–236, 1982.
- T. Shimizu, “Staebler-Wronski effect in hydrogenated amorphous silicon and related alloy films,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics Part 1, vol. 43, no. 6 A, pp. 3257–3268, 2004.