- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 253989, 8 pages
An Optically Controlled 3D Cell Culturing System
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2540 Dole Street, Holmes Hall 483, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Received 2 May 2011; Revised 25 August 2011; Accepted 12 September 2011
Academic Editor: Eric Pei Yu Chiou
Copyright © 2011 Kelly S. Ishii et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Dove, “Cell-based therapies go live,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 339–343, 2002.
- K. H. Wilan, C. T. Scott, and S. Herrera, “Chasing a cellular fountain of youth,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 807–815, 2005.
- V. F. M. Segers and R. T. Lee, “Stem-cell therapy for cardiac disease,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7181, pp. 937–942, 2008.
- W. Xu, L. Liu, and I. G. Charles, “Microencapsulated iNOS-expressing cells cause tumor suppression in mice,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 213–215, 2002.
- M. E. Dudley and S. A. Rosenberg, “Adoptive-cell-transfer therapy for the treatment of patients with cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 666–675, 2003.
- L. Gattinoni, D. J. Powell, S. A. Rosenberg, and N. P. Restifo, “Adoptive immunotherapy for cancer: building on success,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 383–393, 2006.
- Y. Sun, X. Ma, D. Zhou, I. Vacek, and A. M. Sun, “Normalization of diabetes in spontaneously diabetic cynomologus monkeys by xenografts of microencapsulated porcine islets without immunosuppression,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1417–1422, 1996.
- T. Sapir, K. Shternhall, I. Meivar-Levy et al., “Cell-replacement therapy for diabetes: generating functional insulin-producing tissue from adult human liver cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 22, pp. 7964–7969, 2005.
- J. J. Meier, A. Bhushan, and P. C. Butler, “The potential for stem cell therapy in diabetes,” Pediatric Research, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 65R–73R, 2006.
- M. H. Wu, S. B. Huang, and G. B. Lee, “Microfluidic cell culture systems for drug research,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 939–956, 2010.
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, Pharmaceutical Industry Profile2011, PhRMA, Washington, DC, USA, 2011, http://www.phrma.org/.
- U. Marx and V. Sandig, Drug Testing In Vitro: Breakthroughs and Trends in Cell Culture Technology, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2007.
- J. El-Ali, P. K. Sorger, and K. F. Jensen, “Cells on chips,” Nature, vol. 442, no. 7101, pp. 403–411, 2006.
- Y. S. Torisawa, H. Shiku, T. Yasukawa, M. Nishizawa, and T. Matsue, “Multi-channel 3-D cell culture device integrated on a silicon chip for anticancer drug sensitivity test,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 2165–2172, 2005.
- D. W. Hutmacher, “Biomaterials offer cancer research the third dimension,” Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 90–93, 2010.
- B. A. Justice, N. A. Badr, and R. A. Felder, “3D cell culture opens new dimensions in cell-based assays,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 14, no. 1-2, pp. 102–107, 2009.
- R. C. Dutta and A. K. Dutta, “Cell-interactive 3D-scaffold; advances and applications,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 334–339, 2009.
- L. H. Han, G. Mapili, S. Chen, and K. Roy, “Projection microfabrication of three-dimensional scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 130, no. 2, article 021005, 4 pages, 2008.
- V. Chan, P. Zorlutuna, J. H. Jeong, H. Kong, and R. Bashir, “Three-dimensional photopatterning of hydrogels using stereolithography for long-term cell encapsulation,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 10, no. 16, pp. 2062–2070, 2010.
- P. S. Dittrich and A. Manz, “Lab-on-a-chip: microfluidics in drug discovery,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 210–218, 2006.
- V. L. Tsang and S. N. Bhatia, “Three-dimensional tissue fabrication,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1635–1647, 2004.
- M. J. Powers, K. Domansky, M. R. Kaazempur-Mofrad et al., “A microfabricated array bioreactor for perfused 3D liver culture,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 257–269, 2002.
- S. A. Lee, S. E. Chung, W. Park, S. H. Lee, and S. Kwon, “Three-dimensional fabrication of heterogeneous microstructures using soft membrane deformation and optofluidic maskless lithography,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1670–1675, 2009.
- D. R. Albrecht, G. H. Underhill, T. B. Wassermann, R. L. Sah, and S. N. Bhatia, “Probing the role of multicellular organization in three-dimensional microenvironments,” Nature Methods, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 369–375, 2006.
- T. Braschler, R. Johann, M. Heule, L. Metref, and P. Renaud, “Gentle cell trapping and release on a microfluidic chip by in situ alginate hydrogel formation,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 553–559, 2005.
- Y. H. Bae, T. Okano, and S. Wan Kim, “Temperature dependence of swelling of crosslinked poly(N,N'-alkyl substituted acrylamides) in water,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 923–936, 1990.
- R. A. Stile, W. R. Burghardt, and K. E. Healy, “Synthesis and characterization of injectable poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)-based hydrogels that support tissue formation in vitro,” Macromolecules, vol. 32, no. 22, pp. 7370–7379, 1999.
- J. F. Pollock and K. E. Healy, “Mechanical and swelling characterization of poly(N-isopropyl acrylamide -co- methoxy poly(ethylene glycol) methacrylate) sol-gels,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1307–1318, 2010.
- D. G. Grier, “A revolution in optical manipulation,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6950, pp. 810–816, 2003.
- S. K. Mohanty, A. Rapp, S. Monajembashi, P. K. Gupta, and K. O. Greulich, “Comet assay measurements of DNA damage in cells by laser microbeams and trapping beams with wavelengths spanning a range of 308 nm to 1064 nm,” Radiation Research, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 378–385, 2002.