- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 357974, 7 pages
Quasi Solid-State Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell Incorporating Highly Conducting Polythiophene-Coated Carbon Nanotube Composites in Ionic Liquid
1Center of Excellence for Research in Engineering Materials (CEREM), College of Engineering, King Saud University, Riyadh 11421, Saudi Arabia
2Photovoltaic Materials Unit, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), 1-2-1 Sengen, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
Received 30 April 2011; Accepted 13 June 2011
Academic Editor: Ahmed El-Shafei
Copyright © 2011 Mohammad Rezaul Karim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- A. Hagfeld and M. Grätzel, “Light-induced redox reactions in nanocrystalline systems,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 49–68, 1995.
- M. Grätzel, “Conversion of sunlight to electric power by nanocrystalline dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 3–14, 2004.
- A. Hagfeldt and M. Grätzel, “Molecular photovoltaics,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 269–277, 2000.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, A. Kay, I. Rodicio et al., “Conversion of light to electricity by cis-X2bis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′-dicarboxylate)ruthenium(II) charge-transfer sensitizers (X = Cl-, Br-, I-, CN-, and SCN-) on nanocrystalline TiO2 electrodes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 14, pp. 6382–6390, 1993.
- K. Hara, H. Sugihara, Y. Tachibana et al., “Dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells based on ruthenium(II) phenanthroline complex photosensitizers,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 5992–5999, 2001.
- J. Bandara and H. Weerasinghe, “Solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell with p-type NiO as a hole collector,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 385–390, 2005.
- G. K. R. Senadeera, T. Kitamura, Y. Wada, and S. Yanagida, “Enhanced photoresponses of polypyrrole on surface modified TiO2 with self-assembled monolayers,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 184, no. 1-2, pp. 234–239, 2006.
- J. E. Kroeze, N. Hirata, L. Schmidt-Mende et al., “Parameters influencing charge separation in solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells using novel hole conductors,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1832–1838, 2006.
- T. Kato, A. Okazaki, and S. Hayase, “Latent gel electrolyte precursors for quasi-solid dye sensitized solar cells the comparison of nano-particle cross-linkers with polymer cross-linkers,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 179, no. 1-2, pp. 42–48, 2006.
- J. N. Freitas, C. Longo, A. F. Nogueira, and M.-A. de Paoli, “Solar module using dye-sensitized solar cells with a polymer electrolyte,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 1110–1114, 2008.
- J. Wu, Z. Lan, J. Lin et al., “A novel thermosetting gel electrolyte for stable quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 22, pp. 4006–4011, 2007.
- J. N. Freitas, A. F. Nogueira, and M.-A. de Paoli, “New insights into dye-sensitized solar cells with polymer electrolytes,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 30, pp. 5279–5294, 2009.
- B. I. Ito, J. N. De Freitas, M. A. De Paoli, and A. F. Nogueira, “Application of a composite polymer electrolyte based on montmorillonite in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 688–696, 2008.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, P. Comte, I. Exnar, and M. Grätzel, “Gelation of ionic liquid-based electrolytes with silica nanoparticles for quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1166–1167, 2003.
- H. Usui, H. Matsui, N. Tanabe, and S. Yanagida, “Improved dye-sensitized solar cells using ionic nanocomposite gel electrolytes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 97–101, 2004.
- T. Katakabe, R. Kawano, and M. Watanabe, “Acceleration of redox diffusion and charge-transfer rates in an ionic liquid with nanoparticle addition,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. F23–F25, 2007.
- K. M. Lee, P. Y. Chen, C. P. Lee, and K. C. Ho, “Binary room-temperature ionic liquids based electrolytes solidified with SiO2 nanoparticles for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 573–577, 2009.
- C. P. Lee, K. M. Lee, P. Y. Chen, and K. C. Ho, “On the addition of conducting ceramic nanoparticles in solvent-free ionic liquid electrolyte for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 1411–1416, 2009.
- Z. Chen, H. Yang, X. Li, F. Li, T. Yi, and C. Huang, “Thermostable succinonitrile-based gel electrolyte for efficient, long-life dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 1602–1607, 2007.
- W. U. Huynh, J. J. Dittmer, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Hybrid nanorod-polymer solar cells,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5564, pp. 2425–2427, 2002.
- M. R. Karim, C. J. Lee, and M. S. Lee, “Synthesis and characterization of conducting polythiophene/carbon nanotubes composites,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 44, no. 18, pp. 5283–5290, 2006.
- M. R. Karim, C. J. Lee, Y.-T. Park, and M. S. Lee, “SWNTs coated by conducting polyaniline: synthesis and modified properties,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 131–135, 2005.
- M. Fu, Y. Zhu, R. Tan, and G. Shi, “Aligned polythiophene micro- and nanotubules,” Advanced Materials, vol. 13, no. 24, pp. 1874–1877, 2001.
- C.-P. Lee, P. Y. Chen, R. Vittal, and K.-C. Ho, “Iodine-free high efficient quasi solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell containing ionic liquid and polyaniline-loaded carbon black,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2356–2361, 2010.
- C.-P. Lee, L.-Y. Lin, P.-Y. Chen, R. Vittal, and K.-C. Ho, “All-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells incorporating SWCNTs and crystal growth inhibitor,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 18, pp. 3619–3625, 2010.
- H. Wang, H. Li, B. Xue, Z. Wang, Q. Meng, and L. Chen, “Solid-state composite electrolyte Lil/3-hydroxypropionitrile/SiO2 for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 17, pp. 6394–6401, 2005.
- N. Ikeda, K. Teshima, and T. Miyasaka, “Conductive polymer-carbon-imidazolium composite: a simple means for constructing solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells,” Chemical Communications, no. 16, pp. 1733–1735, 2006.
- M. R. Karim, J. H. Yeum, M. S. Lee, and K. T. Lim, “Synthesis of conducting polythiophene composites with multi-walled carbon nanotube by the γ-radiolysis polymerization method,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 779–782, 2008.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, P. Péchy, T. Renouard et al., “Engineering of efficient panchromatic sensitizers for nanocrystalline TiO2-based solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 8, pp. 1613–1624, 2001.
- M. Ikeda, N. Koide, L. Han, A. Sasahara, and H. Onishi, “Scanning tunneling microscopy study of black dye and deoxycholic acid adsorbed on a rutile TiO2(110),” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 15, pp. 8056–8060, 2008.
- Z. S. Wang, Y. Cui, Y. Dan-oh, C. Kasada, A. Shinpo, and K. Hara, “Thiophene-functionalized coumarin dye for efficient dye-sensitized solar cells: electron lifetime improved by coadsorption of deoxycholic acid,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 19, pp. 7224–7230, 2007.
- N. Papageorgiou, Y. Athanassov, M. Armand et al., “The performance and stability of ambient temperature molten salts for solar cell applications,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 143, no. 10, pp. 3099–3108, 1996.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, J. E. Moser, R. H. Baker, and M. Grätzel, “A solvent-free, SeCN-/based ionic liquid electrolyte for high-efficiency dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 23, pp. 7164–7165, 2004.
- R. Kawano, H. Matsui, C. Matsuyama et al., “High performance dye-sensitized solar cells using ionic liquids as their electrolytes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 164, no. 1–3, pp. 87–92, 2004.