- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 780373, 11 pages
Single-SectionFabry-Perot Mode-Locked Semiconductor Lasers
Department of Engineering and Technology, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC 28723, USA
Received 14 September 2010; Revised 17 November 2010; Accepted 8 January 2011
Academic Editor: Yaomin Lin
Copyright © 2011 Weiguo Yang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. E. Siegman, Lasers, University Science Books, 1986.
- S. T. Cundiff and J. Ye, “Colloquium: femtosecond optical frequency combs,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 325–342, 2003.
- A. Chimmalgi, C. P. Grigoropoulos, and K. Komvopoulos, “Surface nanostructuring by nano-/femtosecond laser-assisted scanning force microscopy,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 97, no. 10, Article ID 104319, pp. 1–12, 2005.
- J. Ohtsubo, Semiconductor Lasers: Stability, Instability and Chaos, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- U. Keller, “Recent developments in compact ultrafast lasers,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6950, pp. 831–838, 2003.
- Y. Suematsu and M. Yamada, “Transverse mode control in semiconductor lasers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 2–311, 1973.
- H. Kogelnik and C. V. Shank, “Coupled-wave theory of distributed feedback lasers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 2327–2335, 1972.
- S. Wang, “Principles of distributed feedback and distributed bragg-reflector lasers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 413–427, 1974.
- E. A. Avrutin, J. H. Marsh, and E. L. Portnoi, “Monolithic and multi-GigaHertz mode-locked semiconductor lasers: constructions, experiments, models and applications,” IEE Proceedings: Optoelectronics, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 251–278, 2000.
- M. Yousefi, Y. Barbarin, S. Beri et al., “New role for nonlinear dynamics and chaos in integrated semiconductor laser technology,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 4, Article ID 044101, 2007.
- H. A. Haus, J. G. Fujimoto, and E. P. Ippen, “Structures for additive pulse mode locking,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 2068–2076, 1991.
- H. A. Haus, “Mode-locking of lasers,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1173–1185, 2000.
- W. Yang, “Self-starting mode locking by multi-spatial-mode active waveguiding,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 2287–2289, 2006.
- W. Yang, N. J. Sauer, P. G. Bernasconi, and L. Zhang, “Self-mode-locked single-section Fabry-Perot semiconductor lasers at 1.56 μm,” Applied Optics, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 113–116, 2007.
- W. Yang, “Picosecond dynamics of semiconductor Fabry-Pérot lasers: a simplified model,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1235–1241, 2007.
- W. Yang, “Single-contact multi-spatial-mode mode-locking Fabry-Perot semiconductor laser diodes,” in Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference (QELS '07), pp. 1–2, Baltimore, Md, USA, May 2007, paper JWA123.
- W. Yang, L. L. Buhl, and M. R. Fetterman, “Experimental modulation response beyond the relaxation oscillation frequency in a multiple-spatial-mode laser diode based on active spatial mode coupling,” in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO '07), pp. 1–2, Baltimore, Md, USA, May 2007, paper CThK3.
- W. Yang, “Modulation property of multi-spatial-mode semiconductor mode-locked lasers,” in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics and Conference on Quantum Electronics and Laser Science (CLEO/QELS '08), pp. 1–2, San Jose, Calif, USA, May 2008, paper JThA12.
- L. F. Tiemeijer, P. I. Kuindersma, P. J. A. Thijs, and G. L. J. Rikken, “Passive FM locking in InGaAsP semiconductor lasers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1385–1392, 1989.
- K. Sato, “Optical pulse generation using Fabry-Pérot lasers under continuous-wave operation,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1288–1293, 2003.
- S. R. Chinn and E. A. Swanson, “Passive FM locking and pulse generation from 980-nm strained-quantum-well Fabry-Perot lasers,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 969–971, 1993.
- K. A. Shore and W. M. Yee, “Theory of self-locking FM operation in semiconductor lasers,” IEE Proceedings. Part J, Optoelectronics, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 91–96, 1991.
- Y. Nomura, S. Ochi, N. Tomita et al., “Mode locking in Fabry-Perot semiconductor lasers,” Physical Review A. Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, vol. 65, no. 4B, Article ID 043807, 11 pages, 2002.
- R. Paiella, F. Capasso, C. Gmachl et al., “Self-mode-locking of quantum cascade lasers with giant ultrafast optical nonlinearities,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1739–1742, 2000.
- C. Gosset, K. Merghem, A. Martinez et al., “Subpicosecond pulse generation at 134 GHz using a quantum-dash-based Fabry-Perot laser emitting at 1.56 μm,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, no. 24, Article ID 241105, 2006.
- E. U. Rafailov, M. A. Cataluna, and W. Sibbett, “Mode-locked quantum-dot lasers,” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 395–401, 2007.
- J. Debeau, B. Kowalski, and R. Boittin, “Simple method for the complete characterization of an optical pulse,” Optics Letters, vol. 23, no. 22, pp. 1784–1786, 1998.