- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 963068, 10 pages
Substitution of Carbazole Modified Fluorenes as π-Extension in Ru(II) Complex-Influence on Performance of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
1Inorganic and Physical Chemistry Division, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Uppal Road, Tarnaka, Hyderabad 500 607, India
2Aisin Cosmos R&D Co. Ltd., Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Uppal Road, Tarnaka, Hyderabad 500 607, India
3Laboratory of Photonics and Interfaces, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Received 30 April 2011; Accepted 31 May 2011
Academic Editor: Surya Prakash Singh
Copyright © 2011 Malapaka Chandrasekharam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Hagfeldt, G. Boschloo, L. Sun, L. Kloo, and H. Pettersson, “Dye-sensitized solar cells,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 11, pp. 6595–6663, 2010.
- A. Hagfeld and M. Grätzel, “Light-induced redox reactions in nanocrystalline systems,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 49–68, 1995.
- K. Hara, M. Kurashige, S. Ito et al., “Novel polyene dyes for highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells,” Chemical Communications, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 252–253, 2003.
- S. Ferrere and B. A. Gregg, “Large increases in photocurrents and solar conversion efficiencies by UV illumination of dye sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 32, pp. 7602–7605, 2001.
- S. G. Chen, S. Chappel, Y. Diamant, and A. Zaban, “Preparation of Nb2O5 coated TiO2 nanoporous electrodes and their application in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 4629–4634, 2001.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- M. Grätzel, “Photoelectrochemical cells,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6861, pp. 338–344, 2001.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, A. Kay, I. Rodicio, et al., “Conversion of light to electricity by cis-X2bis(2,2'-bipyridyl-4,4'-dicarboxylate)ruthenium(II) charge-transfer sensitizers (X = Cl-, Br-, I-, CN-, and SCN-) on nanocrystalline titanium dioxide electrodes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 14, pp. 6382–6390, 1993.
- S. M. Zakeeruddin, M. K. Nazeeruddin, R. Humpry Baker, et al., “Design, synthesis, and application of amphiphilic ruthenium polypyridyl photosensitizers in solar cells based on nanocrystalline TiO2 films,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 952–954, 2002.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, J. E. Moser, M. K. Nazeeruddin, T. Sekiguchi, and M. Grätzel, “A stable quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell with an amphiphilic ruthenium sensitizer and polymer gel electrolyte,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 402–407, 2003.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, J. E. Moser et al., “Stable new sensitizer with improved light harvesting for nanocrystalline dye-sensitized solar cells,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 20, pp. 1806–1811, 2004.
- P. Wang, C. Klein, R. Humphry-Baker, S. M. Zakeeruddin, and M. Grätzel, “A high molar extinction coefficient sensitizer for stable dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 808–809, 2005.
- D. Kuang, C. Klein, S. Ito, et al., “High molar extinction coefficient ion-coordinating ruthenium sensitizer for efficient and stable mesoscopic Dye-sensitized solarCells,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, pp. 154–160, 2007.
- K. J. Jiang, N. Masaki, J. B. Xia, S. Noda, and S. Yanagida, “A novel ruthenium sensitizer with a hydrophobic 2-thiophen-2-yl-vinyl- conjugated bipyridyl ligand for effective dye sensitized TiO2 solar cells,” Chemical Communications, no. 23, pp. 2460–2462, 2006.
- C.-Y. Chen, S.-J. Wu, C.-G. Wu, J.-G. Chen, and K.-C. Ho, “A ruthenium complex with superhigh light-harvesting capacity for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 118, pp. 5954–5957, 2006.
- D. Kuang, C. Klein, S. Ito, et al., “High effiiciency and stable mesoscopic Dye-sensitized solar cells based on a high molar extinction cofficient Ru-sensitizer and non-volatile electrolyte,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, pp. 1133–1137, 2007.
- D. Kuang, C. Klein, Z. Zhang et al., “Stable, high-efficiency ionic-liquid-based mesoscopic dye-sensitized solar cells,” Small, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 2094–2102, 2007.
- F. Matar, T. H. Ghaddar, K. Walley, T. DosSantos, J. R. Durrant, and B. O'Regan, “A new ruthenium polypyridyl dye, TG6, whose performance in dye-sensitized solar cells is surprisingly close to that of N719, the ‘dye to beat’ for 17 years,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 36, pp. 4246–4253, 2008.
- Y. Cao, Y. Bai, Q. Yu et al., “Dye-sensitized solar cells with a high absorptivity ruthenium sensitizer featuring a 2-(hexylthio)thiophene conjugated bipyridine,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 15, pp. 6290–6297, 2009.
- F. Gao, Y. Cheng, Q. Yu et al., “Conjugation of selenophene with bipyridine for a high molar extinction coefficient sensitizer in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 2664–2669, 2009.
- F. Gao, Y. Wang, D. Shi et al., “Enhance the optical absorptivity of nanocrystalline TiO2 film with high molar extinction coefficient ruthenium sensitizers for high performance dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 130, no. 32, pp. 10720–10728, 2008.
- M. Chandrasekharam, C. Srinivasarao, T. Suresh, et al., “High spectral response heteroleptic ruthenium (II) complexes as sensitizers for dye sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Chemical Sciences, vol. 123, pp. 37–46, 2011.
- P. Y. Reddy, L. Giribabu, C. Lyness et al., “Efficient sensitization of nanocrystalline TiO2 films by a near-IR-absorbing unsymmetrical zinc phthalocyanine,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 373–376, 2007.
- L. Giribabu, M. Chandrasekheram, M. L. Kantham et al., “Conjugated organic dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Indian Journal of Chemistry—Section A, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 629–634, 2006.
- M. D. Iosip, S. Destri, M. Pasini, W. Porzio, K. P. Pernstich, and B. Batlogg, “New dithieno[3,2-b:2',3'-d]thiophene oligomers as promising materials for organic field-effect transistor applications,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 251–257, 2004.
- E. J. Meijer, A. V. G. Mangnus, B. H. Huisman, G. W. 'T Hooft, D. M. de Leeuw, and T. M. Klapwijk, “Photoimpedance spectroscopy of poly(3-hexyl thiophene) metal-insulator- semiconductor diodes,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 142, no. 1–3, pp. 53–56, 2004.
- Z. H. Li, M. S. Wong, Y. Tao, and J. Lu, “Diphenylamino end-capped oligofluorenes with enhanced functional properties for blue light emission: synthesis and structure-property relationships,” Chemistry—A European Journal, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 3285–3293, 2005.
- L. Giribabu, C. Vijay Kumar, C. S. Rao et al., “High molar extinction coefficient amphiphilic ruthenium sensitizers for efficient and stable mesoscopic Dye-sensitized solar cells,” Energy and Environmental Science, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 770–773, 2009.
- M. Chandrasekharam, G. Rajkumar, C. Srinivasa Rao, T. Suresh, and P. Yella Reddy, “Phenothiazine conjugated bipyridine—a new class of ancillary ligand for Ru-sensitizer in Dye sensitized solar cell application,” Synthetic Metals. In press.
- M. Chandrasekharam, G. Rajkumar, C. Srinivasa Rao et al., “Molecular engineered fluorene substituted Ru-complex for efficient mesoscopic dye sensitized solar cells,” vol. 2, 2011, Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Accepted.
- M. Chandrasekharam, G. Rajkumar, C. Srinivasa Rao, et al., “Polypyridyl Ru(II)-sensitizers with extended π-system enhances the performance of Dye sensitized solar cells,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 161, pp. 1098–1104, 2011.
- M. Chandrasekharam, G. Rajkumar, C. Srinivasa Rao, P. Yella Reddy, and M. Lakshmi Kantam, “Change of Dye bath for sensitisation of nanocrystalline TiO2 films: enhances performance of Dye-sensitized solar cells,” Advances in OptoElectronics, vol. 2011, Article ID 376369, 9 pages.
- C.-Y. Chen, J.-G. Chen, S.-J. Wu, J.-Y. Li, C.-G. Wu, and K.-C. Ho, “Multifunctionalized ruthenium-based supersensitizers for highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 47, no. 38, pp. 7342–7345, 2008.