- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 965967, 10 pages
Microcavity Silicon Photodetectors at 1.55 μm
1Department of Naples, Institute for Microelectronics and Microsystems, National Council of Research, Via P. Castellino 111, 80131 Naples, Italy
2Department of Mathematics, Seconda Università degli Studi di Napoli, Via Vivaldi 43, 81100 Caserta, Italy
Received 25 June 2010; Revised 16 September 2010; Accepted 22 October 2010
Academic Editor: Snjezana Tomljenovic-Hanic
Copyright © 2011 M. Casalino et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. C. Kimerling, L. Dal Negro, S. Saini, et al., “Monolithic silicon microphotonics,” in Silicon Photonics, L. Pavesi and D. J. Lockwood, Eds., vol. 94 of Topics in Applied Physics, pp. 89–119, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- B. Jalali and S. Fathpour, “Silicon photonics,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 4600–4615, 2006.
- L. K. Rowe, M. Elsey, N. G. Tarr, A. P. Knights, and E. Post, “CMOS-compatible optical rib waveguides defined by local oxidation of silicon,” Electronics Letters, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 392–393, 2007.
- L. Vivien, D. Pascal, S. Lardenois et al., “Light injection in SOI microwaveguides using high-efficiency grating couplers,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 3810–3815, 2006.
- Q. Xu, S. Manipatruni, B. Schmidt, J. Shakya, and M. Lipson, “12.5 Gbit/s carrier-injection-based silicon micro-ring silicon modulators,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 430–436, 2007.
- C. P. Michael, M. Borselli, T. J. Johnson, C. Chrystal, and O. Painter, “An optical fiber-taper probe for wafer-scale microphotonic device characterization,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 4745–4752, 2007.
- A. Liu, L. Liao, D. Rubin et al., “High-speed optical modulation based on carrier depletion in a silicon waveguide,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 660–668, 2007.
- A. Liu, H. Rong, R. Jones, O. Cohen, D. Hak, and M. Paniccia, “Optical amplification and lasing by stimulated Raman scattering in silicon waveguides,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1440–1455, 2006.
- T. K. Liang, H. K. Tsang, I. E. Day, J. Drake, A. P. Knights, and M. Asghari, “Silicon waveguide two-photon absorption detector at 1.5 μm wavelength for autocorrelation measurements,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 7, p. 1323, 2002.
- J. D. B. Bradley, P. E. Jessop, and A. P. Knights, “Silicon waveguide-integrated optical power monitor with enhanced sensitivity at 1550 nm,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 24, Article ID 241103, 3 pages, 2005.
- H. Chen, X. Luo, and A. W. Poon, “Cavity-enhanced photocurrent generation by 1.55 μm wavelengths linear absorption in a p-i-n diode embedded silicon microring resonator,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, no. 17, Article ID 171111, 2009.
- S. Zhu, M. B. Yu, G. Q. Lo, and D. L. Kwong, “Near-infrared waveguide-based nickel silicide Schottky-barrier photodetector for optical communications,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 8, Article ID 081103, 2008.
- A. Akbari and P. Berini, “Schottky contact surface-plasmon detector integrated with an asymmetric metal stripe waveguide,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, no. 2, Article ID 021104, 2009.
- Y. Wang, X. Su, Y. Zhu et al., “Photocurrent in Ag-Si photodiodes modulated by plasmonic nanopatterns,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, no. 24, Article ID 241106, 2009.
- W. F. Kosonocky, F. V. Shallcross, T. S. Villani, and J. V. Groppe, “ element PtSi Schottky-barrier IR-CCD image sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1564–1573, 1986.
- R. H. Fowler, “The analysis of photoelectric sensitivity curves for clean metals at various temperatures,” Physical Review, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 1931.
- V. E. Vickers, “Model of Schottky barrier hot-electron-mode photodetection,” Applied Optics, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 2190–2192, 1971.
- S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- H. X. Yuan and A. G. U. Perera, “Dark current analysis of Si homojunction interfacial work function internal photoemission far-infrared detectors,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 66, no. 17, pp. 2262–2264, 1995.
- M. K. Emsley, O. Dosunmu, and M. S. Ünlü, “Silicon substrates with buried distributed Bragg reflectors for resonant cavity-enhanced optoelectronics,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 948–955, 2002.
- E. Y. Chan and H. C. Card, “Near IR interband transitions and optical parameters of metal-germanium contacts,” Applied Optics, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1309–1315, 1980.
- G. G. Shahidi, “SOI technology for the GHz era,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, vol. 46, no. 2-3, pp. 121–131, 2002.
- E. Y. Chan, H. C. Card, and M. C. Teich, “Internal photoemission mechanisms at interfaces between germanium and thin metal films,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 373–381, 1980.
- P. Yeh, Optical Waves in Layerer Media, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- M. A. Muriel and A. Carballar, “Internal field distributions in fiber Bragg gratings,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 955–960, 1997.
- K. Kishino, M. S. Unlu, J. Chyi, J. Reed, L. Arsenault, and H. Morkoc, “Resonant cavity-enhanced (RCE) photodetectors,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 2025–2034, 1991.
- E. D. Palik, Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1985.
- H. C. Card, “Aluminum-silicon Schottky barriers and ohmic contacts in integrated circuits,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 538–544, 1976.
- K. Vedam, “Spectroscopic ellipsometry: a historical overview,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 313-314, pp. 1–9, 1998.
- G. E. Jellison Jr., “The calculation of thin film parameters from spectroscopic ellipsometry data,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 290-291, pp. 40–45, 1996.
- G. E. Jellison Jr. and F. A. Modine, “Parameterization of the optical functions of amorphous materials in the interband region,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 371–373, 1996.
- G. E. Jellison Jr., F. A. Modine, P. Doshi, and A. Rohatgi, “Spectroscopic ellipsometry characterization of thin-film silicon nitride,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 313-314, pp. 193–197, 1998.
- P. Doshi, G. E. Jellison Jr., and A. Rohatgi, “Characterization and optimization of absorbing plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposited antireflection coatings for silicon photovoltaics,” Applied Optics, vol. 36, no. 30, pp. 7826–7837, 1997.
- D. E. Aspnes, J. B. Theeten, and F. Hottier, “Investigation of effective-medium models of microscopic surface roughness by spectroscopic ellipsometry,” Physical Review B, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 3292–3302, 1979.
- S. Donati, Photodetectors: Devices, Circuits, and Applications, Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 1999.
- W. Demtroder, Laser Spectroscopy: Vol. 1: Basic principles, chapter 4, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2008.