- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 161402, 16 pages
Extension of the Multipole Approach to Random Metamaterials
Institut für Angewandte Physik, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Max Wien Platz 1, 07743 Jena, Germany
Received 1 July 2012; Accepted 11 September 2012
Academic Editor: Natalia M. Litchinitser
Copyright © 2012 A. Chipouline et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, H. K. Yuan et al., “Dual-band negative index metamaterial: double negative at 813 nm and single negative at 772 nm,” Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1671–1673, 2007.
- G. Dolling, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, “Negative-index metamaterial at 780 nm wavelength,” Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 53–55, 2007.
- J. Valentine, S. Zhang, T. Zentgraf et al., “Three-dimensional optical metamaterial with a negative refractive index,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7211, pp. 376–379, 2008.
- J. Valentine, J. Li, T. Zentgraf, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, “An optical cloak made of dielectrics,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 568–571, 2009.
- A. Alu and N. Engheta, “Cloaking a sensor,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, 2009.
- Y. Lai, J. Ng, H. Chen et al., “Illusion optics: the optical transformation of an object into another object,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, 2009.
- M. Farhat, S. Guenneau, and S. Enoch, “Ultrabroadband elastic cloaking in thin plates,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 103, 2009.
- D. Schurig, J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice et al., “Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5801, pp. 977–980, 2006.
- U. Leonhardt, “Optical conformal mapping,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5781, pp. 1777–1780, 2006.
- E. E. Narimanov and A. V. Kildishev, “Optical black hole: broadband omnidirectional light absorber,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, Article ID 041106, 2009.
- S. M. Vukovic, I. V. Shadrivov, and Y. S. Kivshar , “Surface Bloch waves in metamaterial and metal-dielectric superlattices,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, Article ID 041902, 2009.
- D. Ö. Göuney and D. A. Meyer, “Negative refraction gives rise to the Klein paradox,” Physical Review A, vol. 79, p. 1, 2009.
- N. Papasimakis, V. Fedotov, and N. Zheludev, “Metamaterial analog of electromagnetically induced transparency,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 101, Article ID 253903, 2008.
- N. Liu, L. Langguth, T. Weiss et al., “Plasmonic analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency at the Drude damping limit,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 758–762, 2009.
- P. Mazur and B. R. A. Nijboer, “On the statistical mechanics of matter in an electromagnetic field—I. Derivation of the maxwell equations from electron theory,” Physica, vol. 19, no. 1–12, pp. 971–986, 1953.
- A. Chipouline, J. Petschulat, A. Tuennermann et al., “Multipole approach in electrodynamics of metamaterials,” Applied Physics A, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 899–904, 2011.
- A. Chipouline, S. Sugavanam, J. Petschulat, and T. Pertsch, “Metamaterials with interacting Metaatoms,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.6839.
- C. S. Deng, H. Xu, and L. Deych, “Optical transport and statistics of radiative losses in disordered chains of microspheres,” Physical Review A, vol. 82, no. 4, Article ID 041803, 2010.
- W. H. Weber and G. W. Ford, “Propagation of optical excitations by dipolar interactions in metal nanoparticle chains,” Physical Review B, vol. 70, no. 12, Article ID 125429, 8 pages, 2004.
- M. Quinten, A. Leitner, J. R. Krenn, and F. R. Aussenegg, “Electromagnetic energy transport via linear chains of silver nanoparticles,” Optics Letters, vol. 23, no. 17, pp. 1331–1333, 1998.
- N. A. Gippius, T. Weiss, S. G. Tikhodeev, and H. Giessen, “Resonant mode coupling of optical resonances in stacked nanostructures,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 7569–7574, 2010.
- N. Feth, M. König, M. Husnik et al., “Electromagnetic interaction of split-ring resonators: the role of separation and relative orientation,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 6545–6554, 2010.
- A. Alù and N. Engheta, “Theory of linear chains of metamaterial/plasmonic particles as subdiffraction optical nanotransmission lines,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 20, Article ID 205436, 2006.
- J. M. Rico-García, J. M. López-Alonso, and A. Aradian, “Toy model to describe the effect of positional blocklike disorder in metamaterials composites,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 29, p. 53, 2012.
- S. A. Maier, P. G. Kik, and H. A. Atwater, “Optical pulse propagation in metal nanoparticle chain waveguides,” Physical Review B, vol. 67, no. 20, Article ID 205402, pp. 2054021–2054025, 2003.
- A. Alù and N. Engheta, “Effect of small random disorders and imperfections on the performance of arrays of plasmonic nanoparticles,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 12, Article ID 013015, 2010.
- J. B. Pendry, “Light finds a way through maze,” Physics, vol. 1, p. 20, 2008.
- P. W. Anderson, “Absence of diffusion in certain random lattices,” Physical Review, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1492–1505, 1958.
- J. B. Pendry, “Quasi-extended electron states in strongly disordered systems,” Journal of Physics C, vol. 20, no. 5, p. 733, 1987.
- A. V. Tartakovskii, M. V. Fistul, M. E. Raikh, and I. M. Ruzin, “Hopping conductivity of metal-semiconductormetal contacts,” Soviet Physics, vol. 21, p. 370, 1987.
- J. Bertolotti, S. Gottardo, D. S. Wiersma, M. Ghulinyan, and L. Pavesi, “Optical necklace states in anderson localized 1D systems,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 94, no. 11, Article ID 113903, 2005.
- K. Y. Bliokh, Y. P. Bliokh, V. Freilikher, A. Z. Genack, B. Hu, and P. Sebbah, “Localized modes in open one-dimensional dissipative random systems,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 97, no. 24, Article ID 243904, 2006.
- F. Rüting, “Plasmons in disordered nanoparticle chains: localization and transport,” Physical Review B, vol. 83, no. 11, Article ID 115447, 2011.
- D. Mogilevtsev, F. A. Pinheiro, R. R. Dos Santos, S. B. Cavalcanti, and L. E. Oliveira, “Suppression of Anderson localization of light and Brewster anomalies in disordered superlattices containing a dispersive metamaterial,” Physical Review B, vol. 82, no. 8, Article ID 081105, 2010.
- W. Tan, Y. Sun, Z. G. Wang, H. Chen, and H. Q. Lin, “Transparency induced by coupled resonances in disordered metamaterials,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 26, pp. 24371–24376, 2009.
- L. Jylhä, I. Kolmakov, S. Maslovski, and S. Tretyakov, “Modeling of isotropic backward-wave materials composed of resonant spheres,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 99, no. 4, Article ID 043102, 2006.
- M. V. Gorkunov, S. A. Gredeskul, I. V. Shadrivov, and Y. S. Kivshar, “Effect of microscopic disorder on magnetic properties of metamaterials,” Physical Review E, vol. 73, no. 5, Article ID 056605, 2006.
- X. Zhou, X. P. Zhao, and Y. Liu, “Disorder effects of left-handed metamaterials with unitary dendritic structure cell,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 7674–7679, 2008.
- N. Papasimakis, V. A. Fedotov, Y. H. Fu, D. P. Tsai, and N. I. Zheludev, “Coherent and incoherent metamaterials and order-disorder transitions,” Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 4, Article ID 041102, 2009.
- A. Boltasseva and V. M. Shalaev, “Fabrication of optical negative-index metamaterials: recent advances and outlook,” Metamaterials, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2008.
- J. P. Wright, O. Worsfold, C. Whitehouse, and M. Himmelhaus, “Ultraflat ternary nanopatterns fabricated using colloidal lithography,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 421–426, 2006.
- P. Hanarp, D. Sutherland, J. Gold, and B. Kasemo, “Nanostructured model biomaterial surfaces prepared by colloidal lithography,” Nanostructured Materials, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 429–432, 1999.
- R. Glass, M. Möller, and J. P. Spatz, “Block copolymer micelle nanolithography,” Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1153–1160, 2003.
- C. Helgert, C. Rockstuhl, C. Etrich et al., “Effective properties of amorphous metamaterials,” Physical Review B, vol. 79, Article ID 233107, 2009.
- J. Petschulat, C. Menzel, A. Chipouline et al., “Multipole approach to metamaterials,” Physical Review A, vol. 78, no. 4, Article ID 043811, 2008.
- D. A. Pawlak, S. Turczynski, M. Gajc et al., “How far are we from making metamaterials by self-organization? the microstructure of highly anisotropic particles with an SRR-like geometry,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1116–1124, 2010.