- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 267564, 6 pages
Homogeneous Hyperbolic Systems for Terahertz and Far-Infrared Frequencies
1Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
2Department of Physics, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
3Department of Physics and Applied Physics, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854, USA
Received 11 June 2012; Accepted 3 August 2012
Academic Editor: Pavel A. Belov
Copyright © 2012 Leonid V. Alekseyev et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. G. Veselago, “The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ,” Soviet Physics Uspekhi, vol. 10, no. 4, article 509, 1968.
- M. Noginov and V. A. Podolskiy, Eds., Tutorials in Metamaterials, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2012.
- P. V. Parimi, W. T. Lu, P. Vodo, and S. Sridhar, “Imaging by flat lens using negative refraction,” Nature, vol. 426, no. 6965, article 404, 2003.
- I. R. Gabitov, R. A. Indik, N. M. Litchinitser, A. I. Maimistov, V. M. Shalaev, and J. E. Soneson, “Double-resonant optical materials with embedded metal nanostructures,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 535–542, 2006.
- R. A. Shelby, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5514, pp. 77–79, 2001.
- V. M. Shalaev, W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar et al., “Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 24, pp. 3356–3358, 2005.
- E. Schonbrun, T. Yamashita, W. Park, and C. J. Summerss, “Negative-index imaging by an index-matched photonic crystal slab,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 19, Article ID 195117, 6 pages, 2006.
- G. Dolling, C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, “Simultaneous negative phase and group velocity of light in a metamaterial,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5775, pp. 892–894, 2006.
- D. R. Smith, W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Shultz, “Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 84, no. 18, pp. 4184–4187, 2000.
- C. G. Parazzoli, R. B. Greegor, K. Li, B. E. C. Koltenbah, and M. Tanielian, “Experimental verification and simulation of negative index of refraction using Snell's law,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 10, Article ID 107401, 4 pages, 2003.
- M. Notomi, “Theory of light propagation in strongly modulated photonic crystals: refractionlike behavior in the vicinity of the photonic band gap,” Physical Review B, vol. 62, no. 16, pp. 10696–10705, 2000.
- A. Boltasseva, “Fabrication of optical metamaterials,” in Tutorials in Metamaterials, M. Noginov and V. A. Podolskiy, Eds., Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2012.
- V. A. Podolskiy and E. E. Narimanov, “Near-sighted superlens,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 75–77, 2005.
- V. A. Podolskiy and E. E. Narimanov, “Strongly anisotropic waveguide as a nonmagnetic left-handed system,” Physical Review B, vol. 71, no. 20, Article ID 201101(R), 4 pages, 2005.
- V. A. Podolskiy, “Hyperbolic metamaterials,” in Tutorials in Metamaterials, M. Noginov and V. A. Podolskiy, Eds., Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2012.
- L. V. Alekseyev and E. E. Narimanov, “Radiative decay engineering in metamaterials,” in Tutorials in Metamaterials, M. Noginov and V. A. Podolskiy, Eds., Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2012.
- Z. Jacob, L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, “Optical hyperlens: far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 8247–8256, 2006.
- S. Thongrattanasiri and V. A. Podolskiy, “Hypergratings: nanophotonics in planar anisotropic metamaterials,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 890–892, 2009.
- A. Salandrino and N. Engheta, “Far-field subdiffraction optical microscopy using metamaterial crystals: theory and simulations,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 7, Article ID 075103, 2006.
- Z. Liu, H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying sub-diffraction-limited objects,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5819, article 1686, 2007.
- H. N. S. Krishnamoorthy, Z. Jacob, E. Narimanov, I. Kretzschmar, and V. M. Menon, “Topological transitions in metamaterials,” Science, vol. 336, no. 6078, pp. 205–209, 2012.
- E. E. Narimanov, H. Li, Y. A. Barnakov, and M. A. Noginov, “Darker than black: radiation-absorbing metamaterial,” in Proceedings of the Lasers and Electro-Optics/Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference: 2010 Laser Science to Photonic Applications (CLEO/QELS'10), Optical Society of America, San Jose, Calif, USA, May 2010, presentation #QPDA6.
- P. Evans, W. R. Hendren, R. Atkinson et al., “Growth and properties of gold and nickel nanorods in thin film alumina,” Nanotechnology, vol. 17, no. 23, pp. 5746–5753, 2006.
- J. Yao, Z. Liu, Y. Liu et al., “Optical negative refraction in bulk metamaterials of nanowires,” Science, vol. 321, no. 5891, p. 930, 2008.
- A. J. Hoffman, L. Alekseyev, S. S. Howard et al., “Negative refraction in semiconductor metamaterials,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 946–950, 2007.
- J. Sun, J. Zhou, B. Li, and F. Kang, “Indefinite permittivity and negative refraction in natural material: graphite,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98, no. 10, Article ID 101901, 3 pages, 2011.
- R. Wangberg, J. Elser, E. E. Narimanov, and V. A. Podolskiy, “Nonmagnetic nanocomposites for optical and infrared negative-refractive-index media,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 498–505, 2006.
- C. Luo, S. G. Johnson, and J. D. Joannopoulos, “All-angle negative refraction without negative effective index,” Physical Review B, vol. 65, no. 20, Article ID 201104(R), 4 pages, 2002.
- A. Hadni and X. Gerbaux, “Far IR excitation of longitudinal optical phonons in triglycine sulphate,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 2000.
- X. Gerbaux, M. Tazawa, and A. Hadni, “Far IR transmission measurements on triglycine sulphate (TGS), at 5K,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 47–63, 1998.
- T. Dumelow, J. A. P. da Costa, and V. N. Freire, “Slab lenses from simple anisotropic media,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 23, Article ID 235115, 8 pages, 2005.
- M. Schubert, T. E. Tiwald, and C. M. Herzinger, “Infrared dielectric anisotropy and phonon modes of sapphire,” Physical Review B, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 8187–8201, 2000.
- W. S. Boyle, A. D. Brailsford, and J. K. Galt, “Dielectric anomalies and cyclotron absorption in the infrared: observations on bismuth,” Physics Reviews, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 1396–1398, 1958.
- W. S. Boyle and A. D. Brailsford, “Far infrared studies of bismuth,” Physics Reviews, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 1943–1949, 1960.
- V. D. Kulakovskii and V. D. Egorov, “Plasma reflection in bismuth and bismuth-antimony alloys,” Soviet Physics—Solid State, vol. 15, no. 7, p. 1368, 1974.
- V. S. Edelman, “Electrons in bismuth,” Advances in Physics, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 555–613, 1976.
- F. Y. Yang, K. Liu, K. Hong, D. H. Reich, P. C. Searson, and C. L. Chien, “Large magnetoresistance of electrodeposited single-crystal bismuth thin films,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5418, pp. 1335–1337, 1999.
- E. Gerlach, P. Grosse, M. Rautenberg, and W. Senske, “Dynamical conductivity and plasmon excitation in Bi,” Physica Status Solidi (b), vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 553–558, 1976.
- A. A. Govyadinov and V. A. Podolskiy, “Metamaterial photonic funnels for subdiffraction light compression and propagation,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 15, Article ID 155108, 5 pages, 2006.