- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 368786, 6 pages
The Performance of Active Coated Nanoparticles Based on Quantum-Dot Gain Media
1College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
2Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Received 25 June 2012; Revised 21 August 2012; Accepted 25 August 2012
Academic Editor: Pavel A. Belov
Copyright © 2012 Sawyer D. Campbell and Richard W. Ziolkowski. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Gordon and R. W. Ziolkowski, “The design and simulated performance of a coated nano-particle laser,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2622–2653, 2007.
- M. I. Stockman, “The spaser as a nanoscale quantum generator and ultrafast amplifier,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 12, no. 2, Article ID 024004, 2010.
- S. Arslanagić and R. W. Ziolkowski, “Active coated nano-particle excited by an arbitrarily located electric Hertzian dipole-resonance and transparency effects,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 12, no. 2, Article ID 024014, 2010.
- M. A. Noginov, G. Zhu, A. M. Belgrave et al., “Demonstration of a spaser-based nanolaser,” Nature, vol. 460, no. 7259, pp. 1110–1112, 2009.
- Y. Sivan, S. Xiao, U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, “Frequency-domain simulations of a negativeindex material with embedded gain,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 26, pp. 24060–24074, 2009.
- S. D. Campbell and R. W. Ziolkowski, “Impact of strong localization of the incident power density on the nano-amplifier characteristics of active coated nano-particles,” Optics Communications, vol. 285, no. 16, pp. 3341–3352, 2012.
- P. Holmström, L. Thyĺn, and A. Bratkovsky, “Dielectric function of quantum dots in the strong confinement regime,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 107, no. 6, Article ID 064307, 2010.
- B. Jensen and A. Torabi, “Refractive index of hexagonal II-VI compounds CdSe, CdS, and CdSexS1-x,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 3, pp. 857–863, 1986.
- A. L. Aden and M. Kerker, “Scattering of electromagnetic waves from two concentric spheres,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1242–1246, 1951.
- P. B. Johnson and R. W. Christy, “Optical constants of the noble metals,” Physical Review B, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4370–4379, 1972.
- M. Klopfer and R. K. Jain, “Plasmonic quantum dots for nonlinear optical applications,” Optical Materials Express, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 1353–1366, 2011.
- W. C. H. Choy, X. W. Chen, S. L. He, and P. C. Chui, “The Purcell effect of silver nanoshell on the fluorescence of nanoparticles,” in Proceedings of the Asia Optical Fiber Communication and Optoelectronic Exposition and Conference (AOE '07), pp. 81–83, October 2007.
- A. Neogi, H. Morkoç, T. Kuroda, and A. Tackeuchi, “Coupling of spontaneous emission from GaN-AlN quantum dots into silver surface plasmons,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 93–95, 2005.
- J. H. Song, T. Atay, S. Shi, H. Urabe, and A. V. Nurmikko, “Large enhancement of fluorescence efficiency from CdSe/ZnS quantum dots induced by resonant coupling to spatially controlled surface plasmons,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1557–1561, 2005.
- F. Tam, G. P. Goodrich, B. R. Johnson, and N. J. Halas, “Plasmonic enhancement of molecular fluorescence,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 496–501, 2007.
- Y. Jin and X. Gao, “Plasmonic fluorescent quantum dots,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 571–576, 2009.
- M. A. Noginov, H. Li, Y. A. Barnakov et al., “Controlling spontaneous emission with metamaterials,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1863–1865, 2010.
- V. N. Pustovit and T. V. Shahbazyan, “Fluorescence quenching near small metal nanoparticles,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 136, no. 20, Article ID 204701, 2012.