- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 452502, 9 pages
Applications of Hyperbolic Metamaterial Substrates
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2V4, Canada
Received 28 August 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editor: Pavel A. Belov
Copyright © 2012 Yu Guo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Pendry, “Negative refraction makes a perfect lens,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 18, pp. 3966–3969, 2000.
- N. Fang, H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5721, pp. 534–537, 2005.
- J. B. Pendry, D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, “Controlling electromagnetic fields,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5781, pp. 1780–1782, 2006.
- N. I. Landy, S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, “Perfect metamaterial absorber,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 20, Article ID 207402, 2008.
- W. Cai and V. Shalaev, Optical Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, 2009.
- W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, H. K. Yuan et al., “Metamagnetics with rainbow colors,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 3333–3341, 2007.
- N. Liu, H. Liu, S. Zhu, and H. Giessen, “Stereometamaterials,” Nature Photonics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 157–162, 2009.
- E. Plum, X. X. Liu, V. A. Fedotov, Y. Chen, D. P. Tsai, and N. I. Zheludev, “Metamaterials: optical activity without chirality,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, no. 11, Article ID 113902, 2009.
- E. Plum, V. A. Fedotov, A. S. Schwanecke, N. I. Zheludev, and Y. Chen, “Giant optical gyrotropy due to electromagnetic coupling,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 22, Article ID 223113, 2007.
- A. Alù, M. G. Silveirinha, A. Salandrino, and N. Engheta, “Epsilon-near-zero metamaterials and electromagnetic sources: tailoring the radiation phase pattern,” Physical Review B, vol. 75, no. 15, Article ID 155410, 2007.
- X. Chen, B. I. Wu, J. A. Kong, and T. M. Grzegorczyk, “Retrieval of the effective constitutive parameters of bianisotropic metamaterials,” Physical Review E, vol. 71, Article ID 046610, 2005.
- J. Elser, V. A. Podolskiy, I. Salakhutdinov, and I. Avrutsky, “Nonlocal effects in effective-medium response of nanolayered metamaterials,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 19, Article ID 191109, 2007.
- V. A. Podolskiy and E. E. Narimanov, “Strongly anisotropic waveguide as a nonmagnetic left-handed system,” Physical Review B, vol. 71, no. 20, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- D. R. Smith, P. Kolinko, and D. Schurig, “Negative refraction in indefinite media,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1032–1043, 2004.
- P. A. Belov and Y. Hao, “Subwavelength imaging at optical frequencies using a transmission device formed by a periodic layered metal-dielectric structure operating in the canalization regime,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 11, Article ID 113110, 4 pages, 2006.
- A. J. Hoffman, L. Alekseyev, S. S. Howard et al., “Negative refraction in semiconductor metamaterials,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 946–950, 2007.
- A. A. Govyadinov and V. A. Podolskiy, “Metamaterial photonic funnels for subdiffraction light compression and propagation,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 15, Article ID 155108, pp. 1–5, 2006.
- J. Yao, X. Yang, X. Yin, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, “Three-dimensional nanometer-scale optical cavities of indefinite medium,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 28, pp. 11327–11331, 2011.
- C. L. Cortes, W. Newman, S. Molesky, and Z. Jacob, “Quantum nanophotonics using hyperbolic metamaterials,” Journal of Optics, vol. 14, no. 6, Article ID 063001, 2012.
- Z. Jacob, I. I. Smolyaninov, and E. E. Narimanov, “Broadband purcell effect: radiative decay engineering with metamaterials,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, Article ID 181105, 4 pages, 2012.
- Z. Jacob, J. Kim, G. Naik, A. Boltasseva, E. Narimanov, and V. Shalaev, “Engineering photonic density of states using metamaterials,” Applied Physics B, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 215–218, 2010.
- J. R. Lakowicz, “Radiative decay engineering 3. Surface plasmon-coupled directional emission,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 324, no. 2, pp. 153–169, 2004.
- Z. Jacob, L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, “Optical hyperlens: far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 8247–8256, 2006.
- Z. Liu, H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying sub-diffraction-limited objects,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5819, p. 1686, 2007.
- A. Salandrino and N. Engheta, “Far-field subdiffraction optical microscopy using metamaterial crystals: theory and simulations,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 7, Article ID 075103, 2006.
- T. Taubner, D. Korobkin, Y. Urzhumov, G. Shvets, and R. Hillenbrand, “Near-field microscopy through a SiC superlens,” Science, vol. 313, no. 5793, p. 1595, 2006.
- D. Artigas and L. Torner, “Dyakonov surface waves in photonic metamaterials,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 94, no. 1, Article ID 013901, 2005.
- Z. Jacob and E. E. Narimanov, “Optical hyperspace for plasmons: dyakonov states in metamaterials,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, no. 22, Article ID 221109, 2008.
- A. V. Shchegrov, K. Joulain, R. Carminati, and J. J. Greffet, “Near-field spectral effects due to electromagnetic surface excitations,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 1548–1551, 2000.
- Y. Guo, C. L. Cortes, S. Molesky, and Z. Jacob, “Broadband super-Planckian thermal emission from hyperbolic metamaterials,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 101, no. 13, Article ID 131106, 5 pages, 2012.
- Z. Jacob, Classical and quantum optics of hyperbolic metamaterials [Ph.D dissertation], Purdue University, 2010.
- E. E. Narimanov and I. I. Smolyaninov, “Beyond stefan-boltzmann law: thermal hyper-conductivity,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.5444.
- I. I. Smolyaninov and E. E. Narimanov, “Metric signature transitions in optical metamaterials,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 105, no. 6, Article ID 067402, 2010.
- M. A. Noginov, H. Li, Y. A. Barnakov et al., “Controlling spontaneous emission with metamaterials,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1863–1865, 2010.
- O. Kidwai, S. V. Zhukovsky, and J. E. Sipe, “Dipole radiation near hyperbolic metamaterials: applicability of effective-medium approximation,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. 2530–2532, 2011.
- A. N. Poddubny, P. A. Belov, and Y. S. Kivshar, “Spontaneous radiation of a finite-size dipole emitter in hyperbolic media,” Physical Review A, vol. 84, no. 2, Article ID 023807, 6 pages, 2011.
- M. A. Noginov, Y. A. Barnakov, G. Zhu, T. Tumkur, H. Li, and E. E. Narimanov, “Bulk photonic metamaterial with hyperbolic dispersion,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, no. 15, Article ID 151105, 2009.
- P. A. Belov, C. R. Simovski, and P. Ikonen, “Canalization of subwavelength images by electromagnetic crystals,” Physical Review B, vol. 71, no. 19, 2005.
- W. Dickson, G. A. Wurtz, P. Evans et al., “Dielectric-loaded plasmonic nanoantenna arrays: a metamaterial with tuneable optical properties,” Physical Review B, vol. 76, no. 11, Article ID 115411, 2007.
- J. Yao, Z. Liu, Y. Liu et al., “Optical negative refraction in bulk metamaterials of nanowires,” Science, vol. 321, no. 5891, p. 930, 2008.
- Y. Xiong, Z. Liu, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Two-dimensional imaging by far-field superlens at visible wavelengths,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 3360–3365, 2007.
- G. V. Naik, J. Kim, and A. Boltasseva, “Oxides and nitrides as alternative plasmonic materials in the optical range,” Optical Materials Express, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 1090–1099, 2011.
- D. Korobkin, B. Neuner III, C. Fietz, N. Jegenyes, G. Ferro, and G. Shvets, “Measurements of the negative refractive index of sub-diffraction waves propagating in an indefinite permittivity medium,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 22734–22746, 2010.
- H. N. S. Krishnamoorthy, Z. Jacob, E. Narimanov, I. Kretzschmar, and V. M. Menon, “Topological transitions in metamaterials,” Science, vol. 336, no. 6078, pp. 205–209, 2012.
- I. Iorsh, A. Poddubny, A. Orlov, P. Belov, and Y. Kivshar, “Spontaneous emission enhancement in metal-dielectric metamaterials,” Physics Letters A, vol. 376, pp. 185–187, 2012.
- S. A. Biehs, P. Ben-Abdallah, F. S. S. Rosa, K. Joulain, and J. J. Greffet, “Nanoscale heat flux between nanoporous materials,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. S5, pp. A1088–A1103, 2011.
- S. A. Biehs, M. Tschikin, and P. Ben-Abdallah, “Hyperbolic metamaterials as an analog of a blackbody in the near field,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 109, no. 10, Article ID 104301, 5 pages, 2012.
- L. B. Felsen and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, Wiley-IEEE Press, 1994.
- Z. Jacob, L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, “Semiclassical theory of the hyperlens,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. A52–A59, 2007.
- I. I. Smolyaninov, Y. J. Hung, and C. C. Davis, “Magnifying superlens in the visible frequency range,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5819, pp. 1699–1701, 2007.
- Z. Jacob and V. M. Shalaev, “Plasmonics goes quantum,” Science, vol. 334, no. 6055, pp. 463–464, 2011.
- Z. Jacob, “Quantum plasmonics,” MRS Bulletin, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 761–767, 2012.