- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 592754, 8 pages
Plasmonic Nanostructure for Enhanced Light Absorption in Ultrathin Silicon Solar Cells
1School of Physical Science and Engineering and Key Laboratory of Material Physics of The Ministry of Education of China, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450052, China
2Electric and information Engineering College, Pingdingshan University, Henan Province, Pingdingshan 467000, China
3Department of Mathematics and Physics, Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management, Zhengzhou 450015, China
Received 9 July 2012; Revised 18 September 2012; Accepted 24 September 2012
Academic Editor: Pavel A. Belov
Copyright © 2012 Jinna He et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Green, “Lambertian light trapping in textured solar cells and light-emitting diodes: analytical solutions,” Progress in Photovoltaics, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 235–241, 2002.
- H. A. Atwater and A. Polman, “Plasmonics for improved photovoltaic devices,” Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 205–213, 2010.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Plasmonic solar cells,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 26, pp. 21793–21800, 2008.
- P. Spinelli, V. Ferry, J. van de Groep et al., “Plasmonic light trapping in thin-film Si solar cells,” Journal of Optics, vol. 14, no. 2, Article ID 024002, 11 pages, 2012.
- D. M. Schaadt, B. Feng, and E. T. Yu, “Enhanced semiconductor optical absorption via surface plasmon excitation in metal nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 6, Article ID 063106, 3 pages, 2005.
- D. Qu, F. Liu, Y. Huang, W. Xie, and Q. Xu, “Mechanism of optical absorption enhancement in thin film organic solar cells with plasmonic metal nanoparticles,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 24, pp. 24795–24803, 2011.
- C. Hägglund, M. Zäch, G. Petersson, and B. Kasemo, “Electromagnetic coupling of light into a silicon solar cell by nanodisk plasmons,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 5, Article ID 053110, 3 pages, 2008.
- S. Pillai, K. R. Catchpole, T. Trupke, and M. A. Green, “Surface plasmon enhanced silicon solar cells,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 9, Article ID 093105, 8 pages, 2007.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Design principles for particle plasmon enhanced solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, no. 19, Article ID 191113, 3 pages, 2008.
- R. A. Pala, J. White, E. Barnard, J. Liu, and M. L. Brongersma, “Design of plasmonic thin-film solar cells with broadband absorption enhancements,” Advanced Materials, vol. 21, no. 34, pp. 3504–3509, 2009.
- W. Wang, S. Wu, K. Reinhardt, Y. Lu, and S. Chen, “Broadband light absorption enhancement in thin-film silicon solar cells,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 2012–2018, 2010.
- V. E. Ferry, L. A. Sweatlock, D. Pacifici, and H. A. Atwater, “Plasmonic nanostructure design for efficient light coupling into solar cells,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 4391–4397, 2008.
- R. Biswas and D. Zhou, “Simulation and modelling of photonic and plasmonic crystal back reflectors for efficient light trapping,” Physica Status Solidi A, vol. 207, no. 3, pp. 667–670, 2010.
- R. B. Dunbar, T. Pfadler, and L. Schmidt-Mende, “Highly absorbing solar cells—a survey of plasmonic nanostructures,” Optics Express, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. A177–A189, 2012.
- W. Wang, S. Wu, R. J. Knize, K. Reinhardt, Y. Lu, and S. Chen, “Enhanced photon absorption and carrier generation in nanowire solar cells,” Optics Express, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 3733–3743, 2012.
- C. Rockstuhl, S. Fahr, and F. Lederer, “Absorption enhancement in solar cells by localized plasmon polaritons,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 104, no. 12, Article ID 123102, 7 pages, 2008.
- Y. A. Akimov, W. S. Koh, and K. Ostrikov, “Enhancement of optical absorption in thin-film solar cells through the excitation of higher-order nanoparticle plasmon modes,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 10195–10205, 2009.
- H. Shen, P. Bienstman, and B. Maes, “Plasmonic absorption enhancement in organic solar cells with thin active layers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 106, no. 7, Article ID 073109, 5 pages, 2009.
- W. Bai, Q. Gan, G. Song, L. Chen, Z. Kafafi, and F. Bartoli, “Broadband short-range surface plasmon structures for absorption enhancement in organic photovoltaics,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. A620–A630, 2010.
- E. Battal, T. A. Yogurt, L. E. Aygun, and A. K. Okyay, “Triangular metallic gratings for large absorption enhancement in thin film Si solar cells,” Optics Express, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 9548–9464, 2009.
- L. J. Guo, “Nanoimprint lithography: methods and material requirements,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 495–513, 2007.
- J. Y. Chen and K. W. Sun, “Enhancement of the light conversion efficiency of silicon solar cells by using nanoimprint anti-reflection layer,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 629–633, 2010.
- P. B. Johnson and R. W. Christy, “Optical constants of the noble metals,” Physical Review B, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4370–4379, 1972.
- E. D. Palik, Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Academic Press, 1985.
- A. W. Snyder and J. D. Love, Optical Waveguide Theory, Springer, 1983.
- V. E. Ferry, J. N. Munday, and H. A. Atwater, “Design considerations for plasmonic photovoltaics,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 43, pp. 4794–4808, 2010.
- H. Raether, Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1988.
- N. Papanikolaou, “Optical properties of metallic nanoparticle arrays on a thin metallic film,” Physical Review B, vol. 75, no. 23, Article ID 235426, 7 pages, 2007.
- J. N. He, G. W. Cai, P. Ding, C. Z. Fan, and E. J. Liang, “Surface plasmons coupling for local field enhancement in nanoring arrays on a metallic film,” Physics Express, vol. 2, no. 10, 2012.
- P. Ding, E. J. Liang, G. W. Cai, W. Q. Hu, C. Z. Fan, and Q. Z. Xue, “Dual-band perfect absorption and field enhancement by interaction between localized and propagating surface plasmons in optical metamaterials,” Journal of Optics, vol. 13, no. 7, Article ID 075005, 7 pages, 2011.
- Y. A. Akimov and W. S. Koh, “Design of plasmonic nanoparticles for efficient subwavelength light trapping in thin-film solar cells,” Plasmonics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 155–161, 2011.