- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 595646, 6 pages
Optical Manipulation with Plasmonic Beam Shaping Antenna Structures
1Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT), Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM 87185, USA
2Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM 87185, USA
Received 6 June 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: Alexandra E. Boltasseva
Copyright © 2012 Young Chul Jun and Igal Brener. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ashkin, J. M. Dziedzic, J. E. Bjorkholm, and S. Chu, “Observation of a single-beam gradient force optical trap for dielectric particles,” Optics Letters, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 288–290, 1986.
- A. Ashkin, “History of optical trapping and manipulation of small-neutral particle, atoms, and molecules,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 841–856, 2000.
- K. C. Neuman and S. M. Block, “Optical trapping,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 2787–2809, 2004.
- D. G. Grier, “A revolution in optical manipulation,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6950, pp. 810–816, 2003.
- K. Dholakia and T. Čižmár, “Shaping the future of manipulation,” Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 335–342, 2011.
- M. Padgett and R. Bowman, “Tweezers with a twist,” Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 343–348, 2011.
- M. L. Juan, M. Righini, and R. Quidant, “Plasmon nano-optical tweezers,” Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 349–356, 2011.
- L. Novotny and B. Hecht, Principles of Nano-Optics, chapter 13, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- X. Yang, Y. Liu, R. F. Oulton, X. Yin, and X. Zhang, “Optical forces in hybrid plasmonic waveguides,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 321–328, 2011.
- R. Quidant, D. Petrov, and G. Badenes, “Radiation forces on a Rayleigh dielectric sphere in a patterned optical near field,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1009–1011, 2005.
- L. Novotny, R. X. Bian, and X. Sunney Xie, “Theory of Nanometric optical tweezers,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 645–648, 1997.
- L. Verslegers, P. B. Catrysse, Z. Yu, W. Shin, Z. Ruan, and S. Fan, “Phase front design with metallic pillar arrays,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 844–846, 2010.
- N. Yu and F. Capasso, “Wavefront engineering for mid-infrared and terahertz quantum cascade lasers,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. B18–B35, 2010.
- H. J. Lezec, A. Degiron, E. Devaux et al., “Beaming light from a subwavelength aperture,” Science, vol. 297, no. 5582, pp. 820–822, 2002.
- S. Kim, H. Kim, Y. Lim, and B. Lee, “Off-axis directional beaming of optical field diffracted by a single subwavelength metal slit with asymmetric dielectric surface gratings,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 5, Article ID 051113, 4 pages, 2007.
- Y. C. Jun, K. C. Y. Huang, and M. L. Brongersma, “Plasmonic beaming and active control over fluorescent emission,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, Article ID 283, 2011.
- Z. Sun and H. K. Kim, “Refractive transmission of light and beam shaping with metallic nano-optic lenses,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 642–644, 2004.
- L. Verslegers, P. B. Catrysse, Z. Yu et al., “Planar lenses based on nanoscale slit arrays in a metallic film,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 235–238, 2009.
- H. Gao, J. K. Hyun, M. H. Lee, J. C. Yang, L. J. Lauhon, and T. W. Odom, “Broadband plasmonic microlenses based on patches of nanoholes,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 4111–4116, 2010.
- A. Drezet, C. Genet, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Miniature plasmonic wave plates,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 101, no. 4, Article ID 043902, 4 pages, 2008.
- E. H. Khoo, E. P. Li, and K. B. Crozier, “Plasmonic wave plate based on subwavelength nanoslits,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. 2498–2500, 2011.
- N. Yu, P. Genevet, M. A. Kats et al., “Light propagation with phase discontinuities: generalized laws of reflection and refraction,” Science, vol. 334, no. 6054, pp. 333–337, 2011.
- N. Yu, J. Fan, Q. J. Wang et al., “Small-divergence semiconductor lasers by plasmonic collimation,” Nature Photonics, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 564–570, 2008.
- S. Kang, H. E. Joe, J. Kim, Y. Jeong, B. K. Min, and K. Oh, “Subwavelength plasmonic lens patterned on a composite optical fiber facet for quasi-one-dimensional Bessel beam generation,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98, no. 24, Article ID 241103, 3 pages, 2011.
- L. B. Yu, D. Z. Lin, Y. C. Chen et al., “Physical origin of directional beaming emitted from a subwavelength slit,” Physical Review B, vol. 71, no. 4, Article ID 041405, 4 pages, 2005.
- F. J. García-Vidal, H. J. Lezec, T. W. Ebbesen, and L. Martín-Moreno, “Multiple paths to enhance optical transmission through a single subwavelength slit,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 21, Article ID 213901, 4 pages, 2003.
- Lumerical solutions, http://www.lumerical.com/.
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, Wiley, 3rd edition, 1998.
- V. Garcés-Chávez, D. McGloin, H. Melville, W. Sibbett, and K. Dholakia, “Simultaneous micromanipulation in multiple planes using a self-reconstructing light beam,” Nature, vol. 419, no. 6903, pp. 145–147, 2002.
- J. P. Tetienne, R. Blanchard, N. Yu et al., “Dipolar modeling and experimental demonstration of multi-beam plasmonic collimators,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 13, Article ID 053057, 2011.
- J. Baumgartl, M. Mazilu, and K. Dholakia, “Optically mediated particle clearing using Airy wavepackets,” Nature Photonics, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 675–678, 2008.
- S. Kawata and T. Sugiura, “Movement of micrometer-sized particles in the evanescent field of a laser beam,” Optics Letters, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 772–774, 1992.
- S. Kawata and T. Tani, “Optically driven Mie particles in an evanescent field along a channeled waveguide,” Optics Letters, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 1768–1770, 1996.
- A. H. J. Yang, S. D. Moore, B. S. Schmidt, M. Klug, M. Lipson, and D. Erickson, “Optical manipulation of nanoparticles and biomolecules in sub-wavelength slot waveguides,” Nature, vol. 457, no. 7225, pp. 71–75, 2009.
- D. Erickson, X. Serey, Y. F. Chen, and S. Mandal, “Nanomanipulation using near field photonics,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 995–1009, 2011.
- C. Min, P. Wang, X. Jiao, Y. Deng, and H. Ming, “Beam manipulating by metallic nano-optic lens containing nonlinear media,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 15, pp. 9541–9546, 2007.
- A. E. Çetin, K. Güven, and Ö. E. Müstecaplıoğlu, “Active control of focal length and beam deflection in a metallic nanoslit array lens with multiple sources,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1980–1982, 2010.
- X. Ni, N. K. Emani, A. V. Kildishev, A. Boltasseva, and V. M. Shalaev, “Broadband light bending with plasmonic nanoantennas,” Science, vol. 335, no. 6067, article 427, 427.