- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 782864, 10 pages
Institut für Angewandte Physik und Zentrum für Mikrostrukturforschung, Universität Hamburg, Jungiusstrasse 11, 20355 Hamburg, Germany
Received 18 August 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ivan D. Rukhlenko
Copyright © 2012 Stephan Schwaiger et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. O. Moser and C. Rockstuhl, “3D THz metamaterials from micro/nanomanufacturing,” Laser and Photonics Reviews, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 219–244, 2012.
- C. M. Soukoulis and M. Wegener, “Past achievements and future challenges in the development of three-dimensional photonic metamaterials,” Nature Photonics, vol. 5, article 523, 2011.
- J. B. Pendry, A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, “Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 2075–2084, 1999.
- R. A. Shelby, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5514, pp. 77–79, 2001.
- A. A. Houck, J. B. Brock, and I. L. Chuang, “Experimental observations of a left-handed material that obeys Snell's law,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 13, Article ID 137401, 4 pages, 2003.
- D. Schurig, J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice et al., “Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5801, pp. 977–980, 2006.
- N. Liu, H. Guo, L. Fu, S. Kaiser, H. Schweizer, and H. Giessen, “Three-dimensional photonic metamaterials at optical frequencies,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2008.
- J. Valentine, S. Zhang, T. Zentgraf et al., “Three-dimensional optical metamaterial with a negative refractive index,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7211, pp. 376–379, 2008.
- J. Rho, Z. Ye, Y. Xiong et al., “Spherical hyperlens for two-dimensional sub-diffractional imaging at visible frequencies,” Nature Communications, vol. 1, no. 9, article 143, 2010.
- Z. Liu, H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying sub-diffraction-limited objects,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5819, p. 1686, 2007.
- J. K. Gansel, M. Thiel, M. S. Rill et al., “Gold helix photonic metamaterial as broadband circular polarizer,” Science, vol. 325, no. 5947, pp. 1513–1515, 2009.
- J. Yao, Z. Liu, Y. Liu et al., “Optical negative refraction in bulk metamaterials of nanowires,” Science, vol. 321, no. 5891, p. 930, 2008.
- N. Gibbons, J. J. Baumberg, C. L. Bower, M. Kolle, and U. Steiner, “Scalable cylindrical metallodielectric metamaterials,” Advanced Materials, vol. 21, no. 38-39, pp. 3933–3936, 2009.
- V. Ya Prinz, V. A. Seleznev, and A. K. Gutakovsky, “Self-formed InGaAs/GaAs Nanotubes: Concept, Fabrication, Properties,” in Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors, Jerusalem, Israel, 1998.
- V. Y. Prinz, V. A. Seleznev, A. K. Gutakovsky et al., “Free-standing and overgrown InGaAs/GaAs nanotubes, nanohelices and their arrays,” Physica E, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 828–831, 2000.
- S. V. Golod, V. Y. Prinz, V. I. Mashanov, and A. K. Gutakovsky, “Fabrication of conducting GeSi/Si micro- and nanotubes and helical microcoils,” Semiconductor Science and Technology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 181–185, 2001.
- O. Schumacher, S. Mendach, H. Welsch, A. Schramm, C. Heyn, and W. Hansen, “Lithographically defined metal-semiconductor-hybrid nanoscrolls,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 14, Article ID 143109, 3 pages, 2005.
- C. Deneke, W. Sigle, U. Eigenthaler, P. A. Van Aken, G. Schütz, and O. G. Schmidt, “Interfaces in semiconductor/metal radial superlattices,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 26, Article ID 263107, 3 pages, 2007.
- Y. Mei, G. Huang, A. A. Solovev et al., “Versatile approach for integrative and functionalized tubes by strain engineering of nanomembranes on polymers,” Advanced Materials, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 4085–4090, 2008.
- F. Balhorn, S. Mansfeld, A. Krohn et al., “Spin-wave interference in three-dimensional rolled-up ferromagnetic microtubes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 104, no. 3, Article ID 037205, 4 pages, 2010.
- F. M. Huang, J. K. Sinha, N. Gibbons, P. N. Bartlett, and J. J. Baumberg, “Direct assembly of three-dimensional mesh plasmonic rolls,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, no. 19, Article ID 193107, 4 pages, 2012.
- O. G. Schmidt and K. Eberl, “Thin solid films roll up into nanotubes,” Nature, vol. 410, article 168, 2001.
- E. J. Smith, Z. Liu, Y. Mei, and O. G. Schmidt, “Combined surface plasmon and classical waveguiding through metamaterial fiber design,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2010.
- E. J. Smith, Z. Liu, Y. F. Mei, and O. G. Schmidt, “System investigation of a rolled-up metamaterial optical hyperlens structure,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, no. 8, Article ID 083104, 3 pages, 2009.
- E. J. Smith, Z. Liu, Y. F. Mei, and O. G. Schmidt, “Erratum: “System investigation of a rolled-up metamaterial optical hyperlens structure” [ Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 083104 (2009) ],” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 96, no. 1, Article ID 019902, 2 pages, 2010.
- S. Schwaiger, M. Bröll, A. Krohn et al., “Rolled-up three-dimensional metamaterials with a tunable plasma frequency in the visible regime,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, no. 16, Article ID 163903, 4 pages, 2009.
- S. Schwaiger, A. Rottler, M. Bröll et al., “Broadband operation of rolled-up hyperlenses,” Physical Review B, vol. 85, no. 23, Article ID 235309, 9 pages, 2012.
- J. Kerbst, S. Schwaiger, A. Rottler et al., “Enhanced transmission in rolled-up hyperlenses utilizing Fabry-Pérot resonances,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99, no. 19, Article ID 191905, 3 pages, 2011.
- A. Rottler, M. Harland, M. Bröll et al., “Rolled-up nanotechnology for the fabrication of three-dimensional fishnet-type GaAs-metal metamaterials with negative refractive index at near-infrared frequencies,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, no. 15, Article ID 151104, 4 pages, 2012.
- S. Schwaiger, M. Klingbeil, J. Kerbst et al., “Gain in three-dimensional metamaterials utilizing semiconductor quantum structures,” Physical Review B, vol. 84, no. 15, Article ID 155325, 5 pages, 2011.
- S. Schwaiger, A. Koitmäe, L. S. Fohrmann et al., “Fano resonances in optically active rolled-up three dimensional metamaterials,” unpublished.
- A. Rottler, S. Schwaiger, A. Koitmäe, D. Heitmann, and S. Mendach, “Transmission enhancement in three-dimensional rolled-up plasmonic metamaterials containing optically active quantum wells,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2402–2407, 2011.
- A. Rottler, M. Bröll, N. Gerken, D. Heitmann, and S. Mendach, “Terahertz metamaterials based on arrays of rolled-up gold/(In)GaAs tubes,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 24, pp. 4797–4799, 2011.
- I. V. Semchenko, S. A. Khakhomov, E. V. Naumova, V. Y. Prinz, S. V. Golod, and V. V. Kubarev, “Study of the properties of artificial anisotropic structures with high chirality,” Crystallography Reports, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 366–373, 2011.
- B. Wood, J. B. Pendry, and D. P. Tsai, “Directed subwavelength imaging using a layered metal-dielectric system,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 11, Article ID 115116, 8 pages, 2006.
- S. A. Ramakrishna and J. B. Pendry, “Removal of absorption and increase in resolution in a near-field lens via optical gain,” Physical Review B, vol. 67, no. 20, Article ID 201101, 4 pages, 2003.
- D. R. Smith, D. Schurig, M. Rosenbluth, S. Schultz, S. A. Ramakrishna, and J. B. Pendry, “Limitations on subdiffraction imaging with a negative refractive index slab,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1506–1508, 2003.
- Z. Jacob, L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, “Optical hyperlens: far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 8247–8256, 2006.
- D. R. Smith, D. C. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, “Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials,” Physical Review E, vol. 71, no. 3, Article ID 036617, 11 pages, 2005.
- M. A. Noginov, H. Li, Y. A. Barnakov et al., “Controlling spontaneous emission with metamaterials,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1863–1865, 2010.
- T. Tumkur, G. Zhu, P. Black, Y. A. Barnakov, C. E. Bonner, and M. A. Noginov, “Control of spontaneous emission in a volume of functionalized hyperbolic metamaterial,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99, no. 15, Article ID 151115, 3 pages, 2011.
- H. N. S. Krishnamoorthy, Z. Jacob, E. Narimanov, I. Kretzschmar, and V. M. Menon, “Topological transitions in metamaterials,” Science, vol. 336, no. 6078, pp. 205–209, 2012.
- S. Xiao, V. P. Drachev, A. V. Kildishev et al., “Loss-free and active optical negative-index metamaterials,” Nature, vol. 466, no. 7307, pp. 735–738, 2010.
- E. Plum, V. A. Fedotov, P. Kuo, D. P. Tsai, and N. I. Zheludev, “Towards the lasing spaser: controlling metamaterial optical response with semiconductor quantum dots,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 8548–8551, 2009.
- K. Tanaka, E. Plum, J. Y. Ou, T. Uchino, and N. I. Zheludev, “Multifold enhancement of quantum dot luminescence in plasmonic metamaterials,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 105, no. 22, Article ID 227403, 4 pages, 2010.
- N. Meinzer, M. Ruther, S. Linden et al., “Arrays of Ag split-ring resonators coupled to InGaAs single-quantum-well gain,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 23, pp. 24140–24151, 2010.
- N. Meinzer, M. König, M. Ruther et al., “Distance-dependence of the coupling between split-ring resonators and single-quantum-well gain,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99, no. 11, Article ID 111104, 3 pages, 2011.
- D. J. Bergman and M. I. Stockman, “Surface plasmon amplification by stimulated emission of radiation: quantum generation of coherent surface plasmons in nanosystems,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 2, Article ID 027402, 4 pages, 2003.
- Y. Zhao, M. A. Belkin, and A. Alù, “Twisted optical metamaterials for planarized ultrathin broadband circular polarizers,” Nature Communications, vol. 3, article 870, 2012.