- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 861569, 7 pages
Laser Writing of Multiscale Chiral Polymer Metamaterials
1Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University at Buffalo SUNY, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
2Department of Electrical Engineering, University at Buffalo SUNY, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
3Institute for Lasers, Photonics and Biophotonics, University at Buffalo SUNY, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
4Department of Chemistry, University at Buffalo SUNY, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Received 1 July 2012; Revised 31 July 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editor: Ivan D. Rukhlenko
Copyright © 2012 E. P. Furlani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Pendry, “Negative refraction makes a perfect lens,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 18, pp. 3966–3969, 2000.
- R. A. Shelby, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5514, pp. 77–79, 2001.
- V. G. Veselago, “The electrodynamics of substance with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ,” Soviet Physics Uspekhi, vol. 10, pp. 509–514, 1968.
- Z. Jacob, L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, “Optical hyperlens: far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 8247–8256, 2006.
- Z. Liu, H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying sub-diffraction-limited objects,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5819, p. 1686, 2007.
- I. I. Smolyaninov, Y. J. Hung, and C. C. Davis, “Magnifying superlens in the visible frequency range,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5819, pp. 1699–1701, 2007.
- Q. Bai, C. Liu, J. Chen, C. Cheng, M. Kang, and H. T. Wang, “Tunable slow light in semiconductor metamaterial in a broad terahertz regime,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 107, no. 9, Article ID 093104, 8 pages, 2010.
- R. Singh, C. Rockstuhl, F. Lederer, and W. Zhang, “Coupling between a dark and a bright eigenmode in a terahertz metamaterial,” Physical Review B, vol. 79, no. 8, Article ID 085111, 4 pages, 2009.
- S. Y. Chiam, R. Singh, C. Rockstuhl, F. Lederer, W. Zhang, and A. A. Bettiol, “Analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency in a terahertz metamaterial,” Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 15, Article ID 153103, 4 pages, 2009.
- J. B. Pendry, D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, “Controlling electromagnetic fields,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5781, pp. 1780–1782, 2006.
- D. Schurig, J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice et al., “Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5801, pp. 977–980, 2006.
- W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, “Optical cloaking with metamaterials,” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 224–227, 2007.
- N. Fang, H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5721, pp. 534–537, 2005.
- M. Wuttig and N. Yamada, “Phase-change materials for rewriteable data storage,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 824–832, 2007.
- H. Kind, H. Yan, B. Messer, M. Law, and P. Yang, “Nanowire ultraviolet photodetectors and optical switches,” Advanced Materials, vol. 14, pp. 158–160, 2002.
- W. M. Zhu, A. Q. Liu, X. M. Zhang et al., “Switchable magnetic metamaterials using micromachining processes,” Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 15, pp. 1792–1796, 2011.
- N. Liu, H. Guo, L. Fu, S. Kaiser, H. Schweizer, and H. Giessen, “Three-dimensional photonic metamaterials at optical frequencies,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2008.
- J. Valentine, S. Zhang, T. Zentgraf et al., “Three-dimensional optical metamaterial with a negative refractive index,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7211, pp. 376–379, 2008.
- V. M. Shalaev, W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar et al., “Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 24, pp. 3356–3358, 2005.
- A. N. Grigorenko, A. K. Geim, H. F. Gleeson et al., “Nanofabricated media with negative permeability at visible frequencies,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7066, pp. 335–338, 2005.
- G. Dolling, C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, “Low-loss negative-index metamaterial at telecommunication wavelengths,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1800–1802, 2006.
- G. Dolling, C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, “Simultaneous negative phase and group velocity of light in a metamaterial,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5775, pp. 892–894, 2006.
- A. Boltasseva and V. M. Shalaev, “Fabrication of optical negative-index metamaterials: recent advances and outlook,” Metamaterials, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2008.
- H. S. Oh, S. Liu, H. S. Jee, A. Baev, M. T. Swihart, and P. N. Prasad, “Chiral poly(fluorene-alt-benzothiadiazole) (PFBT) and nanocomposites with gold nanoparticles: plasmonically and structurally enhanced chirality,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 49, pp. 17346–17348, 2010.
- S. Shukla, E. P. Furlani, X. Vidal, M. T. Swihart, and P. N. Prasad, “Subwavelength direct laser patterning of conductive gold nanostructures by simultaneous photopolymerization and photoreduction,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1947–1957, 2011.
- S. Shukla, E. P. Furlani, X. Vidal, M. T. Swihart, and P. N. Prasad, “Two-photon lithography of sub-wavelength metallic structures in a polymer matrix,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 33, pp. 3695–3699, 2010.
- A. Papakostas, A. Potts, D. M. Bagnall, S. L. Prosvirnin, H. J. Coles, and N. I. Zheludev, “Optical manifestations of planar chirality,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 10, Article ID 107404, 4 pages, 2003.
- M. Kuwata-Gonokami, N. Saito, Y. Ino et al., “Giant optical activity in quasi-two-dimensional planar nanostructures,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 22, Article ID 227401, 4 pages, 2005.
- A. Baev, M. Samoc, P. N. Prasad, M. Krykunov, and J. Autschbach, “A quantum chemical approach to the design of chiral negative index materials,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 5730–5741, 2007.
- L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz, and L. P. Pitaevskii, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, Pergamon Press.
- E. P. Furlani and A. Baev, “Optical nanotrapping using cloaking metamaterial,” Physical Review E, vol. 79, no. 2, Article ID 026607, 6 pages, 2009.
- E. P. Furlani and A. Baev, “Free-space excitation of resonant cavities formed from cloaking metamaterial,” Journal of Modern Optics, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 523–529, 2009.
- E. P. Furlani, R. Biswas, A. N. Cartwright, and N. M. Litchinitser, “Antiresonant guiding optofluidic biosensor,” Optics Communications, vol. 284, no. 16-17, pp. 4094–4098, 2011.
- H. S. Oh, W.-Ch. Law, A. Baev, et al., “A new twist on optical metamaterials: resonantly coupled hybrid chiral nanocomposites for metaphotonics,” Nature Photonics. In press.
- H. S. Oh, H. S. Jee, A. Baev, M. T. Swihart, and P. N. Prasad, “Dramatic structural enhancement of chirality in photopatternable nanocomposites of chiral poly(fluorene-alt-benzothiadiazole) (PFBT) in achiral SU-8 photoresist,” Advanced Functional Materials. In press.