- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 916275, 4 pages
Room Temperature Direct Band Gap Emission from Ge p-i-n Heterojunction Photodiodes
1Institut für Halbleitertechnik (IHT), University of Stuttgart, 70659 Stuttgart, Germany
2Leibniz-Institut für Innovative Mikroelektronik (IHP), 15236 Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
3Joint Lab IHP/BTU Cottbus, 03013 Cottbus, Germany
Received 18 October 2011; Accepted 12 December 2011
Academic Editor: Ram Gupta
Copyright © 2012 E. Kasper et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Jalali and S. Fathpour, “Silicon photonics,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 4600–4615, 2006.
- R. Soref, “Silicon photonics: a review of recent literature,” Silicon, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- R. Cohen, M. M. Morse, G. Sarid, Y. Chetrit, D. Rubin, and M. Paniccia, “31 GHz Ge n-i-p waveguide photodetectors on Silicon on Insulator substrate,” in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Group IV Photonics, Tokyo, Japan, 2007.
- S. Klinger, M. Berroth, M. Kaschel, M. Oehme, and E. Kasper, “Ge-on-Si p-i-n photodiodes with a 3-dB bandwidth of 49 GHz,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 920–922, 2009.
- Y. H. Kuo, Y. K. Lee, Y. Ge et al., “Strong quantum-confined Stark effect in germanium quantum-well structures on silicon,” Nature, vol. 437, no. 7063, pp. 1334–1336, 2005.
- C. Claeys and E. Simoen, Germanium Based Technologies: From Materials to Devices, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2007.
- W. Klingenstein and H. Schweizer, “Direct gap recombination in germanium at high excitation level and low temperature,” Solid State Electronics, vol. 21, no. 11-12, pp. 1371–1374, 1978.
- J. Liu, R. Camacho-Aguilera, J. T. Bessette et al., “Ge-on-Si optoelectronics,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 520, no. 8, pp. 3354–3360, 2012.
- X. Sun, J. Liu, L. C. Kimerling, and J. Michel, “Room-temperature direct bandgap electroluminesence from Ge-on-Si light-emitting diodes,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1198–1200, 2009.
- S. L. Cheng, J. Lu, G. Shambat et al., “Room temperature 1.6 μm electroluminescence from Ge light emitting diode on Si substrate,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 10019–10024, 2009.
- J. Liu, X. Sun, L. C. Kimerling, and J. Michel, “Direct-gap optical gain of Ge on Si at room temperature,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1738–1740, 2009.
- J. Liu, X. Sun, R. Camacho-Aguilera, L. C. Kimerling, and J. Michel, “Ge-on-Si laser operating at room temperature,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 679–681, 2010.
- M. Oehme, J. Werner, M. Kaschel, O. Kirfel, and E. Kasper, “Germanium waveguide photodetectors integrated on silicon with MBE,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 517, no. 1, pp. 137–139, 2008.
- M. Oehme, M. Kaschel, J. Werner et al., “Germanium on silicon photodetectors with broad spectral range,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. H144–H148, 2010.
- M. Oehme, J. Werner, and E. Kasper, “Molecular beam epitaxy of highly antimony doped germanium on silicon,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 310, no. 21, pp. 4531–4534, 2008.
- J. Wang and S. Lee, “Ge-photodetectors for Si-based optoelectronic integration,” Sensors, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 696–718, 2011.
- M. Oehme, J. Werner, E. Kasper, S. Klinger, and M. Berroth, “Photocurrent analysis of a fast Ge p-i-n detector on Si,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 5, Article ID 051108, 3 pages, 2007.
- E. Kasper and M. Oehme, “High speed germanium detectors on Si,” Physica Status Solidi (C), vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 3144–3149, 2008.
- E. Kasper, M. Oehme, T. Aguirov, J. Werner, M. Kittler, and J. Schulze, “Room temperature direct band gap emission from Ge p-i-n heterojunction photodiodes,” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Group IV Photonics, Beijing, China, 2010.
- D. B. M. Klaassen, J. W. Slotboom, and H. C. de Graaff, “Unified apparent bandgap narrowing in n- and p-type silicon,” Solid-State Electronics, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 125–129, 1992.
- M. Schmid, M. Oehme, M. Kaschel, J. Werner, E. Kasper, and J. Schulze, “Franz-Keldysh effect in Germanium on Silicon p-i-n photodetectors,” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Group IV Photonics, pp. 329–331, Beijing, China, 2010.