- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in OptoElectronics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 927931, 6 pages
3D Photonic Nanostructures via Diffusion-Assisted Direct fs Laser Writing
1Department of Quantum Electronics, Vilnius University, 02300 Vilnius, Lithuania
2IESL-FORTH, N. Plastira 100, Heraklion, 70013 Crete, Greece
3Department of Physics, University of Crete, Heraklion, 71003 Crete, Greece
4Department of Materials Science and Technology, University of Crete, Heraklion, 71003 Crete, Greece
5Ames Laboratory, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-2011, USA
6Institute of Applied Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Received 28 May 2012; Revised 24 July 2012; Accepted 24 July 2012
Academic Editor: Natalia M. Litchinitser
Copyright © 2012 Gabija Bickauskaite et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Juodkazis, V. Mizeikis, and H. Misawa, “Three-dimensional microfabrication of materials by femtosecond lasers for photonics applications,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 106, no. 5, Article ID 051101, 2009.
- L. Amato, Y. Gu, N. Bellini, et al., “Integrated three-dimensional filter separates nanoscale from microscale elements in a microfluidic chip,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1135–1142, 2012.
- M. Malinauskas, A. Zukauskas, K. Belazaras, et al., “Laser fabrication of various polymer micro-optical components,” The European Physical Journal Applied Physics, vol. 58, Article ID 20501, 8 pages, 2012.
- E. Brasselet, M. Malinauskas, A. Žukauskas, and S. Juodkazis, “Photopolymerized microscopic vortex beam generators: precise delivery of optical orbital angular momentum,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, no. 21, Article ID 211108, 2010.
- T. S. Drakakis, G. Papadakis, K. Sambani et al., “Construction of three-dimensional biomolecule structures employing femtosecond lasers,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 14, Article ID 144108, 2006.
- V. Melissinaki, A. A. Gill, I. Ortega, et al., “Direct laser writing of 3D scaffolds for neural tissue engineering applications,” Biofabrication, vol. 3, Article ID 045005, 2011.
- S. Engelhardt, E. Hoch, and K. Borchers, “Fabrication of 2D protein microstructures and 3D polymer-protein hybrid microstructures by two-photon polymerization,” Biofabrication, vol. 3, Article ID 3025003, 2011.
- V. Mizeikis, S. Juodkazis, R. Tarozaite, J. Juodkazyte, K. Juodkazis, and H. Misawa, “Fabrication and properties of metalo-dielectric photonic crystal structures for infrared spectral region,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 8454–8464, 2007.
- A. Radke, T. Gissibl, T. Klotzbücher, P. V. Braun, and H. Giessen, “Three-dimensional bichiral plasmonic crystals fabricated by direct laser writing and electroless silver plating,” Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 27, pp. 3018–3021, 2011.
- M. D. Turner, G. E. Schrõder-Turk, and M. Gu, “Fabrication and characterization of three-dimensional biomimetic chiral composites,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 10001–10008, 2011.
- S. W. Hell and J. Wichmann, “Breaking the diffraction resolution limit by stimulated emission: stimulated-emission-depletion fluorescence microscopy,” Optics Letters, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 780–782, 1994.
- T. A. Klar, S. Jakobs, M. Dyba, A. Egner, and S. W. Hell, “Fluorescence microscopy with diffraction resolution barrier broken by stimulated emission,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 15, pp. 8206–8210, 2000.
- T. F. Scott, B. A. Kowalski, A. C. Sullivan, C. N. Bowman, and R. R. McLeod, “Two-color single-photon photoinitiation and photoinhibition for subdiffraction photolithography,” Science, vol. 324, no. 5929, pp. 913–917, 2009.
- N. Li, R. R. Gattass, E. Gershgoren, H. Hwang, and J. T. Fourkas, “Achieving λ/20 resolution by one-color initiation and deactivation of polymerization,” Science, vol. 324, no. 5929, pp. 910–913, 2009.
- J. Fischer and M. Wegener, “Three-dimensional direct laser writing inspired by stimulated-emission-depletion microscopy,” Optical Materials Express, vol. 1, pp. 614–624, 2011.
- Y. Cao, Z. Gan, and B. Jia, “High-photosensitive resin for super-resolution direct-laser-writing based on photoinhibited polymerization,” Optics Express, vol. 19, pp. 19486–19494, 2011.
- T. J. A. Wolf, J. Fischer, and M. Wegener, “Pump-probe spectroscopy on photoinitiators for stimulated-emission-depletion optical lithography,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, pp. 3188–3190, 2011.
- I. Sakellari, E. Kabouraki, D. Gray, et al., “Diffusion-assisted high resolution direct femtosecond laser writing,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 2302–2311, 2012.
- K. Terzaki, N. Vasilantonakis, A. Gaidukeviciute, et al., “3D conducting nanostructures fabricated using direct laser writing,” Optical Materials Express, vol. 1, pp. 586–597, 2011.
- S. John, “Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 58, no. 23, pp. 2486–2489, 1987.
- E. Yablonovitch, “Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 58, no. 20, pp. 2059–2062, 1987.
- K. M. Ho, C. T. Chan, and C. M. Soukoulis, “Existence of a photonic gap in periodic dielectric structures,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 65, no. 25, pp. 3152–3155, 1990.
- C. M. Soukoulis and M. Wegener, “Past achievements and future challenges in the development of three-dimensional photonic metamaterials,” Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 523–530, 2011.
- J. M. Lourtioz, H. Benisty, V. Berger et al., “Photonic crystals: towards nanoscale photonic devices,” Physics Today, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 54–55, 2006.
- F. A. Denis, P. Hanarp, D. S. Sutherland, and Y. F. Dufrêne, “Nanoscale chemical patterns fabricated by using colloidal lithography and self-assembled monolayers,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 9335–9339, 2004.
- C. García-Meca, J. Hurtado, J. Martí, A. Martínez, W. Dickson, and A. V. Zayats, “Low-loss multilayered metamaterial exhibiting a negative index of refraction at visible wavelengths,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 106, no. 6, Article ID 067402, 2011.
- S. Shukla, X. Vidal, E. P. Furlani et al., “Subwavelength direct laser patterning of conductive gold nanostructures by simultaneous photopolymerization and photoreduction,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1947–1957, 2011.
- G. J. Leggett, “Direct writing of metal nanostructures: lithographic tools for nanoplasmonics research,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1575–1579, 2011.
- G. O. Mallory and J. B. Hajdu, Electroless Plating: Fundamentals and Applications, chapter 1, American Electroplaters and Surface Finishers Society, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1990.
- S. Hrapovic, Y. Liu, G. Enright, F. Bensebaa, and J. H. T. Luong, “New strategy for preparing thin gold films on modified glass surfaces by electroless deposition,” Langmuir, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 3958–3965, 2003.
- N. Vasilantonakis, K. Terzaki, I. Sakellari, et al., “Three-dimensional metallic photonic crystals with optical bandgaps,” Advanced Materials, vol. 24, pp. 1101–1105, 2012.
- A. V. Kabashin, P. Evans, S. Pastkovsky et al., “Plasmonic nanorod metamaterials for biosensing,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 867–871, 2009.
- J. K. Gansel, M. Thiel, M. S. Rill et al., “Gold helix photonic metamaterial as broadband circular polarizer,” Science, vol. 325, no. 5947, pp. 1513–1515, 2009.
- S. Turunen, E. Käpylä, K. Terzaki, et al., “Pico- and femtosecond laser-induced crosslinking of protein microstructures: evaluation of processability and bioactivity,” Biofabrication, vol. 3, Article ID 045002, 2011.
- D. Roundy and J. Joannopoulos, “Photonic crystal structure with square symmetry within each layer and a three-dimensional band gap,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 22, pp. 3835–3837, 2003.
- M. Deubel, Three-dimensional photonic crystals via direct laser writing: fabrication and characterization [Doctoral thesis], Universitat Karlsruhe, 2006.
- M. Deubel, M. Wegener, S. Linden, and G. Von Freymann, “Angle-resolved transmission spectroscopy of three-dimensional photonic crystals fabricated by direct laser writing,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 22, Article ID 221104, pp. 1–3, 2005.