- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Operations Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 259439, 18 pages
Using DEA Factor Efficiency Scores to Eliminate Subjectivity in Goal Programming
Department of Technology and Society, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-3760, USA
Received 30 April 2011; Accepted 26 July 2011
Academic Editor: Carlos Romero
Copyright © 2011 Herbert F. Lewis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Charnes, W. W. Cooper, and R. Ferguson, “Optimal estimation of executive compensation by linear programming,” Management Science, vol. 1, pp. 138–151, 1955.
- A. Charnes and W. W. Cooper, Management Models and Industrial Applications of Linear Programming, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1961.
- J. L. Cohon and D. H. Marks, “A review and evaluation of multi-objective programming techniques,” Water Resources Research, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 208–220, 1975.
- J. L. Cohon, Multiobjective Programming and Planning, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- M. Zeleny, “The pros and cons of goal programming,” Computers and Operations Research, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 357–359, 1981.
- H. Min and J. Storbeck, “On the origin and persistence of misconceptions in goal programming,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 301–312, 1991.
- W. B. Widhelm, “Extensions of goal programming models,” Omega, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 212–214, 1981.
- C. Romero, “Multi-objective and goal programming approaches as a distance function model,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 249–251, 1985.
- C. Romero, C. Sutcliffe, J. Board, and P. Cheshire, “Naïve weighting in non-preemptive goal programming (Viewpoint and reply),” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 35, pp. 647–649, 1985.
- S. I. Gass, “A process for determining priorities and weights for large-scale linear goal programmes,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 779–785, 1986.
- P. L. Yu and M. Zeleny, “Linear multiparametric programming by multicriteria simplex method,” Management Science, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 159–170, 1976.
- R. E. Steuer, “Multiple objective linear programming with internal criterion weights,” Management Science, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 305–316, 1976.
- R. E. Steuer, “Goal programming sensitivity analysis using interval penalty weights,” Mathematical Programming, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 16–31, 1979.
- S. S. Sengupta, M. L. Podrebarac, and T. D. H. Fernando, “Probabilities of optima in multi-objective linear programs,” in Multiple Criteria Decision Making, J. L. Cochran and M. Zeleny, Eds., pp. 217–235, University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, SC, USA, 1973.
- E. Werczberger, “Multi-objective linear programming with partial ranking of objectives,” Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 331–339, 1981.
- T. R. Rakes and L. S. Franz, “Decision support models for project planning,” Omega, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 73–74, 1985.
- R. Narasimhan, “Goal programming in a fuzzy environment,” Decision Sciences, vol. 11, pp. 325–336, 1980.
- J. S. Dyer and R. K. Sarin, “Measurable multiattribute value functions,” Operations Research, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 810–822, 1979.
- C. W. Kirkwood and R. K. Sarin, “Ranking with partial information: a method and an application,” Operations Research, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 1985.
- T. L. Saaty, The Analytic Hierarchy Process, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- J. Butler, J. Jia, and J. Dyer, “Simulation techniques for the sensitivity analysis of multi-criteria decision models,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 531–546, 1997.
- R. J. Kopp, “The measurement of productive efficiency: a reconsideration,” The Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 477–503, 1981.
- A. Charnes, W. W. Cooper, and E. Rhodes, “Measuring the efficiency of decision making units,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 429–444, 1978.
- H. F. Lewis, T. R. Sexton, and M. A. Dolan, “An efficiency-based multicriteria strategic planning model for ambulatory surgery centers,” Journal of Medical Systems. In press.
- A. D. Athanassopoulos, “Goal programming & data envelopment analysis (GoDEA) for target-based multi-level planning: allocating central grants to the Greek local authorities,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 535–550, 1995.
- T. J. Stewart, “Relationships between data envelopment analysis and multicriteria decision analysis,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 654–665, 1996.
- A. D. Athanassopoulos and V. V. Podinovski, “Dominance and potential optimality in multiple criteria decision analysis with imprecise information,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 142–150, 1997.
- C. S. Sarrico, S. M. Hogan, R. G. Dyson, and A. D. Athanassopoulos, “Data envelopment analysis and university selection,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1163–1177, 1997.
- M. Arakawa, H. Nakayama, I. Hagiwara, and H. Yamakawa, “Multiobjective optimization using adaptive range genetic algorithms with data envelopment analysis,” in Proceedings of the 7th Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization (AIAA '98), vol. 3, pp. 2074–2082, 1998.
- T. Joro, P. Korhonen, and J. Wallenius, “Structural comparison of data envelopment analysis and multiple objective linear programming,” Management Science, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 962–970, 1998.
- T. Post and J. Spronk, “Performance benchmarking using interactive data envelopment analysis,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 472–487, 1999.
- E. Takeda and J. Satoh, “Data envelopment analysis approach to multicriteria decision problems with incomplete information,” Computers and Mathematics with Applications, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 81–90, 2000.
- H. F. Lewis and T. R. Sexton, “Data envelopment analysis with reverse inputs and outputs,” Journal of Productivity Analysis, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 113–132, 2004.